Thread: Inflatable Dingy Recommendations

Default Inflatable Dingy Recommendations

So I've been looking around craigslist for a used inflatable with a solid floor I can use as a dingy for our ocean boat. I need a solid floor as we'll use to it to take a dogs back and forth to shore and I don't want our 100lb plus dog punching holes in it. So I was thinking something in the 10-12ft range and used as I want to keep it under $1000, around $500 would be fantastic. Ideally it would have oars and a bench to row from. Any recommendations for places to look or folks with an inflatable they want to get rid of?

For awhile I was seeing quite a few of these for sale but now there aren't many available. I wondered about contacting folks selling their dingy with their boats. Any suggestions would be great for boats to look at or boats for sale.

Most of the solid floor dingys will be heavy and might be very difficult to deploy especially by yourself. Are you worried about the weight of the dog or claws. If just the claws, an inflatable bottom dingy protected by a piece of vinyl flooring cut to fit the floor might do the trick and save you some weight. I'm pretty fond of the Alaska Series Inflatables, and they are very reasonable not to mention very durable.

skags on outboard motors don't do inflatable floors any good either. I use piece of indoor / outdoor carpet in my dingy.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I have a 9'2" maxxon with the inflatable floor. The dogs have been in and out of it for several years without any problems. Mine weighs in at 85+/- pounds. A 10-12 footer with a solid floor would really be a bugger to haul up to the roof using the "armstrong" method. Sam's Club and Costco carry inflatables from time to time for a song. You might give them a look.

On a side note, Patrick. Saturday was rain free out there and Sunday was decent, too. Next time.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I have an Achilles about the same size as "spoiled one" has, with the wood floor inserts. I don't use it very often, and getting it off the roof isn't too hard. Getting it back on the roof by myself would be a problem. It's cumbersome enough with two people. It's pretty stable in the water though.

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    I have an Achilles about the same size as "spoiled one" has, with the wood floor inserts. I don't use it very often, and getting it off the roof isn't too hard. Getting it back on the roof by myself would be a problem. It's cumbersome enough with two people. It's pretty stable in the water though.
    Let me offer a little tip on how to load your tender solo. My roof is 7+ feet off the water. I run a rope mid way along the grab rail/rope on the the tender. While standing on the roof, I lift the one pontoon out of the water. The tender is now perpendicular to the water with the inside facing the big boat. I then hoist it up to the gunnel. At this point I can grab the grab rail/rope and pull it up and onto the roof. Make sense? It is actually easier to do this solo than with help.

That being said, the "armstrong" method is getting a bit old. We have been working on a crane to perform this task. It will hopefully be ready for the long weekend.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thanks for the tip. As I have stated here and previously, I don't use it much. And I've posted this before also, regarding kicker motors. I bought the 5hp model for mine, and I should have gotten the 2hp model. It would be much easier to handle getting on and off. I have less than a half hour of run time on the motor. I might use it more if I had the 2hp.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I have a 9'2" maxxon with the inflatable floor. The dogs have been in and out of it for several years without any problems. Mine weighs in at 85+/- pounds. A 10-12 footer with a solid floor would really be a bugger to haul up to the roof using the "armstrong" method. Sam's Club and Costco carry inflatables from time to time for a song. You might give them a look.

On a side note, Patrick. Saturday was rain free out there and Sunday was decent, too. Next time.
    Thanks for the info. I just found these last night on Alaska Raft and Kayak's homepage. I couldn't find the lengths on their boats so do you know if the 230 is the boat you're talking about? $700-$800 isn't bad for a brand new boat and they weigh in at 70-85 pounds. Alot of the used boats are more than that.

It also sounds like folks are suggesting that my initial thoughts on a dingy may not work out due to weight. Sounds like I may want to look smaller or with an inflatable floor. I'm just worried our 110lb, 80lb and 50lb dogs might punch a hole in it. Maybe I should look at a few and see how much they weigh and how cumbersome they'd be to use as a dingy. I guess I was thinking it would also be nice to use it as a small boat for hunting in the sound once I get a kicker for it. A 10-12 foot with hard floor would be great for cruising shores of islands looking for deer/bear or using for sea ducks. That won't happen for a few years though so its not tops on my priority list.

My old 10' 6" rubber boat had an inflatable floor and a transom rated to 10hp. It weighed 64#. The floors are tougher than you'd expect. I wouldn't think twice about having my dog in one.

The last few years costco caried a 3 meter airfloor inflatable that weighs about 80#'s, is rated for 4 people and 9.9 hp. They were a good deal when they were ~$750, and a great deal when they blew them out last year for $400. We run an old 8 horse e-rude, it'll get on step with a load of 300#'s of passengers, but won't get on step with a heavier load. My kids love zipping around in it.

Our dog's about 130#'s, and we've had absolutely no problems with the air floor or tubes. He has no problems getting on the inflatable or out of it. There is no way I'd want the added weight of a wood floor inflatable. I have little problem getting the dingy on and off the roof of our boat.

Default Ak Series tenders...

and other rafts have all the specs online, just need to find the right page, and you can get all the specs etc. Drop any max passengers by at least one though, we have the 220 TDS tender and it's supposed to take 3 (or 4?) and two people and a little gear is plenty, I think it's about 8 feet long. Rafts are like tents, and you know you can't get 4 people and anything else in a 4-person tent, and they better be good friends!

Ditto on the 2 hp motor, weighs about 27 lbs easy for one person to handle, sips gas, but you won't be getting on step...but that's not necessary for use as a ship to shore tender.

Thanks to both of you for the info. I'll keep looking and see what I come across.

Ohhh, and that dog looks about as happy as he can be.

Default 260 ru

IMG_4302.jpg

I have a 260 ru with wooden slat floor. 2 dogs over 100LB ea, my 200LB and 3 deer with my 3.2 kicker works fine. The skiff weighs in at 45LB and the kicker 45lb. One handed lift to the roof!