View Poll Results: Do you currently or do you plan to collect guns?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • 20-30 years old: NO

2 3.33%
  • 20-30 years old: YES

3 5.00%
  • 30-40 years old: NO

4 6.67%
  • 30-40 years old: YES

7 11.67%
  • 40-50 years old: NO

2 3.33%
  • 40-50 years old: YES

16 26.67%
  • 50-60 years old: NO

3 5.00%
  • 50-60 years old: YES

9 15.00%
  • Older than 60: NO

1 1.67%
  • Older than 60:YES

13 21.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Collector poll

Default Gun Collector poll

A recent thread about purchasing an "investment" firearm and an article in a magazine about numbers of hunters/shooters are the catalysts for this poll.

Ultimately I am curious if the future of 'investment" or "collectors" firearms isn't a bit more bleak than some may think. Please fill out the poll and then provide some information on what, if any guns you are interested in collecting.

Used to collect but not any more. Hate seeing good guns sell after death at garage sales and turned into beaters.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have a small collection...wood ones, black ones, eastern ones, western ones, short ones, long ones. I'm really getting into the historical WW iron latley.

I used to collect Colt single actions but sold them when they brought so much more than I paid for them. I have been a Winchester M-70 collector since the 1960's and still like them vary much as I find them a vast source of knowledge. Not a fast selling market except for both extremes the rarest calibers and the standard grades. There are some M-70's you can not find any any books on the subject that are vary rare, the custom depart is always throwing curves as the advanced collector, Keeps one on your toes. I do keep some rare Mausers also, a much better action than the Winchester copy known as the M-70. I do find the Winchester fare more interesting because of the lack of good information and my book collection on firearms is worth many times what I paid for them. I don't think it is really more of and interest rather than making money on them I find my interest. I used to like old single shot rifles as they were truly the hunters main tool for many decanted during the lever action craze. I have many Single shots and have never traded or sold any of them. There is a world of interest in may firearms and you never know it all.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

The only guns I want are ones I intend to use. I have a few keep sakes that were passed down to me that I have retired but thats about it. I don't have nor will I have any guns that are for just looking at!

A friend of mine is building me a new 12 gun cabinet and by the end of the year I will own only what will fit in that cabinet and they will all be shooters!

Like 2dawgs I love them all especially handguns. If I see something I like and have the money I bring it home. They make investments in my view and I won’t have one that isn’t a shooter. I do have a thing for levers in oddball chambering but age has nothing to do with what I buy, I go by “cool factor” more than anything.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have never considered myself a "collector" if you use that word in terms of "looking at them as an investment". I would say I have been much more of a;
    "Oh, I sure like that one and now its going home with me" type.
    Had over 60 at one time ( in my 30's ) but have sold, traded, and gifted down to about 20 that I enjoy shooting.
    I did buy a beautiful little win 9422 that was 1 of 200 with nice gold inlay and a win 9417 at the same time, 3 mos later they closed their doors and they really went up in value so I have not shot these...
    A wise and very wealthy friend of mine that owns farmland and cattle once told me when I asked him if he owned any stock: " Son, no matter what you invest in - make sure you know all you can about it, I know cattle and dirt!
    I think thats a fair way to approach guns - study the market of anything you think may be good before you jump in.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Interesting poll!

While many would call me a collector, most I have I shoot. Many consider collectors somewhat stupid or even stupid fools. Whatever. I don't consider my more modern guns (post 64 types) as collector guns- they are simply tools. Some of these newer things surely have investment value, but that is not the reason I have them. The oldest gun I shoot is well over 200 years old. Among those I don't shoot are a handful of C&B Colt Model 49s, 51s & 60s. The only long gun I don't shoot is an unfired Win 1876, 45-75 special order. Shooting old guns is the only way for me to at least partially understand and get close to history.

I view my collectibles as parts of history to be enjoyed and studied. These things have value aside from the monetary. That would also hold true for some of the old blades, trapping and fishing related items.

None were obtained with "investment or profit" in mind. At most they could be considered a tangible hedge against worthless paper. I don't consider the fastest, largest, greatest TV, RV, boat or other gadgetry much of a wise "investment", but many seem intent on "investing" much of their income and time on such stuff..... while, at the same time, viewing an old, original, high condition Winchester as a foolish investment. hmmmm?

Good post George! I would certainly consider you a collector. To clarify though I don't consider owning a bunch of guns "collecting". I have a pretty wide variety but they all serve a purpose (at least that's what I told the wife) and they are tools. I also own a framing hammer, roofing hammer, pneumatic hammer, dead blow, sledge and numerous different weights of each but I am not a hammer collector.

I think there's a difference between collector and hoarder! I was once a hoarder. I had over a hundred guns at one time. Then my oldest daughter decided to get hitched whilst her three younger siblings were all still in college. We had a depression at our house, least ways I was depressed. I sold 30 of those beauties for $3,750 to the same guy. You do the math... yup, there were some real dandies in that pile and I never shot any of them (some of them wouldn't go bang)!

A very interesting post/ poll.

I am certainly not a collector by any stretch. Every thing I own I have a purpose in mind and I've never bought a firearm with the thought of resell and turning a profit. I don't collect any thing else either so I guess its not in my genes or something.

I do however like having a selection of guns to choose from although the number has never been very many for me. I tend toward smaller numbers of very good ones rather than a bigger collection of very average ones. So over the years the selection has stayed small and vastly increased in quality rather than in sheer numbers. My dad was the same way so I guess I inherited the trait from him.

I have a C&R FFL. I don't collect for the sake of investment though. I buy what I like and put it to practical use.
    Now what ?

Sure I collect guns. The same way I seem to collect dust bunnies under the bed. They just accumulate. I've got a BUNCH of N-frame Smith revolvers, but I shoot them all. I've got 7 or 8 Win 88's, even the 284 and 358 I view as shooters. But my view is that I'm not really interested in what someone else's opinion of the "value" of a firearm is unless I'm actively trying to sell it. Then I just see what the market will bear and go from there. Bought an estate of 180 guns about 2 years ago. I've kept 3, gave away 4 to good friends, and sold the rest. Probably should've kept more, but a guy has to set limits. Limits? We don't need no steenkeen limits! Bottom line is, if it has a hole in the front of the barrel, that's where the bullet comes out. I don't really care what it's "worth", I'm going to shoot it, and possibly pack it around. That's what it was made for.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Sure I collect guns. The same way I seem to collect dust bunnies under the bed. They just accumulate. I
    This is the best description of my collecting. :-)

I own one thats 107 years old and, after confirming with the wife which I already knew, quickly realized that this was going to be a highly addictive venture that I wasn't ready to begin....

Now I gotta shake that old Winchester before another finds its way home!!

Default In my case...

I wouldn't call myself a collector, the more correct label would be "Accumulator". My bunch-o-stuff is too ecclectic to even try to categorize.
    The closest I came to collecting anything, that is to have a collection, was when I went overboard with M1903 Springfields and all the derivatives.
    These days, if I can't shoot it, and not worry about using it, it doesn't make it to a spot in the closet.

The only guns I "collect" are WWII guns. I don't collect "investments" and see no point to ever have a gun that I couldn't shoot, either because it is in too poor condition, or because it would ruin the collector value. I collect WWII guns because I am interested in the history, and because they are a ton of fun to shoot. Nothing like the "CHING" sound made when the Garand clip ejects Also, my WWII guns don't have to be original, have matching parts, or even have all the parts from the same country...my Garand has American, Danish, and Italian parts, but it goes bang every time i want it to and never when I don't want it to

For the most part, all my other guns are for hunting.

Great thread. I totally agree with George. I don't have a lot of guns, but the ones I have I cherish and use for what they were intended. I have only gotten rid of one gun that I have owned, and I don't miss it. It was a Rem. 700 in 7MM mag. I hated shooting it. On the other hand I love shooting my Pre-64 M70 .270, a sporterized 03A3 30.06, my Belgium Browning A5's, a classic A.H. Fox Sterlingworth 16 gauge, and a H&R Sportsman dual action revolver. All these guns are old and in great condition, and work flawlessly for what they were intended. I will never get rid of any of them, and I will pass them down to my son, and he to his. (I hope) I have other guns that I shoot occasionally, but I love the ones mentioned. They all have character and history. Although I don't purchase firearms as an investment, I have always contended that they are a very good investment tool. Very few guns, if taken care of properly, will lose value. Knute

Default "Practical Accumulator"

Though I did check the collector box, I'd fall into the practical accumulator category too. I like lever guns & revolvers and would like to "collect" them in the sense of accumulating numerous levers & revolvers that are practical shooters; in particular I'm interested in Winchester & Marlin levers and lever guns that shoot the same bullet in a revolver for reloading & Obama shortage purposes.

Tim

I started when I was 11, but I shoot my collectibles... at least over the last 45 years or so... not sure which group I fall into....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast