Thread: Got a boat today..

Default Got a boat today..

Well after a couple'a months and hundreds of miles of driving to look at boats i finnaly picked one up today.
    Its not the river running jet boat i wanted, but i just couldnt find a jet to suit me.
    All the ones $10'000 and under seemed to be lacking in some way or another.
    So i picked this one up for $2'000,, My intentions are to use this one to learn how to handle a boat , and just save my money for another year or two until i can afford to get exactly what i want..
    This boat came with plenty of bells and whistles,skis,a tube, 5 nice life jackets, two fish finders, pole holders,,am/fm/cd pioneer deck , extra lights,, two anchors,two fire ext..A spare prop,
    oars,,bumpers, a really nice shade and rain shelter cover that covers the whole back of the boat,a brand new storage cover.. a trolling plate..
    It is an ib/ob with a 140 hp four cylinder chevy motor, fires right up and sounds smooth and clean all the gauges work... nice ezload trailer with brand new tires and two spares, all the lights work on it..
    Gonna get her licenced tomorrow then head out and give her a try.
    I have only driven a boat one time in my life, that was on the bigSu from Deshka landing to the Deshka and back,, so i am very nervous and excited..Gonna do a bunch of camping trips out of this boat this year..
    Many thanks to all that have given me advice and tips on here, it all came in handy..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Slimm, nice looking outfit.!! Looks to me like ya done real good for 2K..........

Thanks Akgramps,, its been well taken care of, no-way i could pass it up..

Very nice. Should have a lot of fun with that while you're saving up for your dream boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

It looks to be a great starter boat, it looks like a "fish and ski" so the hull has enough of a V that it can take some waves out in the salt, but its small enough for some of the rivers.

Good job.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

You will have a great time with your boat

man thats sweet! would like to take that out on biglake full of topless ladys!
    Semper Fi!

Arrow stop by the DMV

Every DMV office has a nice little free booklet that outlines Alaskan boating rules. That might be a great place to start learning some stuff about how to pilot a boat well and safely.

Very clean and sweet looking boat. You will not loose a dime on this boat when its time to trade up. The Coast Guard Auxillary should be able to hook you up with some great literature to learn about boating as well along with free courses if you have the time. For learning how to come into a dock and the wind effects, recommend using a couple bouys out on the water and practice coming into it from different angles to same yourself some heartache at the docks for when the wind becomes a factor. Bouys are soft, docks and other folks boats are not so much. Congrats and enjoy the boat.

Thumbs up

Thats a great boat to get started in and one you will not lose any money on when you decide to trade up now get out there and have some fun with it!

Default That's a Nice One

Wow, you got a great deal there, and just in time for a Summer of Great Times. In my opinion a boat is one of the keys to enjoying Alaska to the Fullest,

Congrats on a good job shopping

As far as being a bit nervous, that's understandable and actually fairly Wise, but practice, as is your plan,"to learn how to handlt a boat" is something that will really help with that and the sooner the better with your "specific" boat before you come in on a windy afternoon or something. I'd recommend finding an empty dock somewhere, or maybe even some pot bouy somewhere and try approaching it from different angles, diffferent sides, backing up to it, you know, playing around with your new boat to get comfortable with how boats she reacts in wind and currents. They're really fun to get down pat,(actually not sure if there is such a thing as Down Pat, but it's fun to try to get close somewhat consistently anyway) and you'll be much more comfortable on even a beautiful day with passengers or folks watching from the dock if you know how it'll react when and if you need to "Make it do something specific, right now!"

Man, oh man, you are going to have some fun this summer
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thanks everybody for the advice and well wishes.
    CHAPTER TWO..
    So i woke up this morning and decided to look at boats on craigslist, POW!!! right between the eyes,, first boat listed for the day is this one,, http://twinfalls.craigslist.org/boa/1816900421.html
    That's exactly what i had been holding out for,,the only thing that could make it better is a jet.. SOOOOOOOOO!! I went and bought it.. Now i have two boats when yesterday at this time i had none.. I think i have the boat i bought yesterday sold already though, if not well im sure it will sell pretty quick.. If not it won't hurt to bad to sit on it till it sells, i had $10'000 saved up for a boat and I'm only into these two $7000 so its all good..
    The bigg bummer is i got this new one all legal insured full of fuel and now I'm getting hammered by some violent thunder storms and the dang thing is parked in my shop when i should be boating..
    Sorry for any confusion,, some of you might think i live in Alaska, but im an Idaho boy. Its just that i have been a member here since before the new forums started,, and i feel like i know some of you folks even though i have never met any of you, so i value your input cuz i know theres some hard core and very knowlageable boaters on here,, I thought i would post up the pics here and let some folks see what i ended up with after i posted a couple of months ago asking for advice on what to look for when buying a new boat..
    Many Many thanks to all...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ha, Never have to many, and there never big enough!
    Some nice looking boat,s.
    P.S. I think i wouldn,t look at Craigs list for a while. It never ends.
    Enjoy!

Talking

P.S. I think i wouldn,t look at Craigs list for a while. It never ends.
    Enjoy!
    Now that cracks me up...