Thread: Flying with an external frame backpack

Default Flying with an external frame backpack

Anyone have any experience flying with an external frame pack, namely, a Barney's Pinnacle pack? I'd preferably like to carry on or gate check my pack instead of checking it all the way mainly because of all the connecting flights (and the possibility of lost luggage) and all the straps. It won't be fully loaded because I've shipped my gear ahead. It'll just be a change of clothes and optics. Any suggestions or advice? Flying Continental.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

As long as it is within the size restrictions for carry-on bags, you should be OK. Check the Continental website for the dimensions of carry-on bags.

If it is within the size allowed for carry-on bags, there is still a possibility that you will be asked the check the bag, if the plane is full and if you're one of the last persons to board...the earlier you board, the better your chances of not having this happen.

I would recommend taping all of the straps flush to the pack, it's really easy for some of the straps to get caught on the overhead compartment, the seats, etc etc.

I put my frame, along with a bunch of other gear, into a hard plastic cooler to prevent damage and checked it. Of course, like you mentioned, that leaves you open to the airlines losing it, but in my experience it is usually my gun that gets lost anyway

Default pack to

Why not just ship the pack as well, I would think that you still have time. I just got back from my trip and saw a guy carring a pack that had to be 3 times the size that is suppose to be allowed, it was supper tall. One of the tricks it to get on earlier than most so that you are not one of the folks looking for room and attract attention to yourself. I actually carried my Barneys on before I started leaving gear in a storage unit. The other thing is that before it gets crazy, and with the biggest smile you can, ask the flight attendant for some help and ask if you can put it in the hanging garment closet. Main thing is not to over stuff it and use an additional small carry-on to reduce the size. You can also put a couple of compression straps around the outside to pull it up tight so that the loose material isn't making it look big as well.

Default Traveling with a Frame Pack

I've traveled a number of times with a frame pack. If I'm able to - shipping ahead of time is the preferred method. If that's not an option, I put the frame pack inside of an army size duffel. This keeps the straps from getting caught during transit and allows for other items to be packed along the sides for additional protection of the frame.

Because of the size, I haven't tried taking it along as carry-on baggage.

Wingert

I've flown many times with my barney frame pack instead of luggage. Much nicer walking thru the airport and shuttle to rental cars carrying my stuff on my back.

Maybe I've just lucked out, but never had any problem checking my pack as luggage..Then again, I try not to have high priced items (optics, etc) in my pack since you cant really lock it. Sometimes the airlines will make you put it in a plastic bag and tape it up though..

I think you'd have issues trying to carry on a barneys pack...

Just put it in a large contractor grade bag and tape it up to protect all the straps and other parts that hang off.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    Just put it in a large contractor grade bag and tape it up to protect all the straps and other parts that hang off.
    Generally, Alaska Airlines has made me do that at the check in counter..they provide the bags..

I have also flown a bunch with back packs. Over the years
    I have had some holes worn in them when the odd shaped pack jammed on the conveyer belt and it ground against the nylon for a while. These days I always put it in a very heavy canvas or nylon bag. A duffle bag as suggested would be great if it fits. I use very heavy game bags. Keeps the straps in and protects the outside.