Thread: need help with my grizzly 700

Default need help with my grizzly 700

I posted a few weeks ago about feeling like i had a power loss. Ive talked to people about it possibly being from my 14" rims most of them say i wouldnt notice the loss like i am if it was from the rims. I had a clutch kit put in at anchorage yamaha and if it did ANYTHING it made it weaker it seems like. My machine is an 09 grizzly 700 with 27" mud lite xtr's. What should I do. I dont know where to start. Try a different clutch kit? go to a 12" rim? maybe downsize to 26's? i had a King Quad 700 with 27's and a clutch kid and it would have ate this grizzly for lunch....help

I would be willing to take a look at it but the next few weeks for me are crazy. I would suggest you go to the site in my signature and ask the folks over there. It sounds like you may either have too heavy a weight setup or the wrong spring in your clutch kit.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

The clutch kits sold by Anchorage Yamaha are assembled by Dalton. They consist of lighter roller weights, no springs.

Your wheel diameter is insignificant. Your tire diameter is the issue.

I too run 27" XTRs on my 700 Griz. The machine did not start rolling easily from a dead stop. In fact, on most tight trails, I would ride in low gear.

I've played with changing out the factory roller weights for lighter ones with minimal effect. Same as the Dalton kit.

I've since sent my primary clutch out and had the surface machined to give me a lower 'starting gear'. The change in gearing is noticeable. I've had other work done at the same time to retain top speed although I seldom ever go that fast.

You can google Airdam Clutch and see what riders have to report about his mods.

Feel free to PM me. I can help you if you want to go this route or even just change the roller weights. You're welcome to ride my 700 to feel the difference.

Also, as AKMuddy suggested, go to the site list under his post and read what you can on clutching for the Grizz.

If you want to get into machining your clutch sheave you need to look at what "Mad Mike" is doing to clutches for the Grizzly. He is doing what is formerly known as the "Coop45 Mod". He bought the rights from Coop when Coop called it quits several months ago.

Here is the link specific to his clutch mods...http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/mikes-powerhouse/
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Default i am wondering.

I do have the dalton. Im wondering if any of you know how many of the weights they change and which color are they? silver....gold? another color? im trying to get a clue to what i can do to improve my power. i dont think id want to spend the money trying to machine my clutch or anything of that nature but id be willing to spend the money to do different/more weights or put springs in if any of you think this would help....if so...what brand of weights and springs should i look for? thanks for the help!

There is a huge amount of info out there on changing roller weights. The 700 has 8 roller weights. The weight of the 700 Grizz rollers are 20 grams each or 160 grams total. Your Dalton kit likely had 8 rollers at 18 grams each or 144 grams total.

What I would do is download a service manual for your machine. Take apart the clutch. Weigh the rollers. Once you know the total weight, then order 4 lighter rollers from Yamaha. They are about $5 each.

Roller Weights
    -----------------------
    Grizzly 450 12 grams (14+ grams with the plastic shell)
    Grizzly 600 14 grams
    Grizzly 660 16 grams
    Grizzly 700 18 grams (20+ grams with the plastic shell)

Replace 4 of the Dalton rollers with 4 450 rollers. 18 x 4 + 14 x 4 = 128 grams or 16 grams average. That's the same as replacing with 8 660 rollers.

The idea behind going lighter is because the RPM's will need to come up a little higher to get the weights to push outward for up shifting. So the lighter weight the higher the RPM, which may result in faster takeoff.

The Dalton kit did not come with a secondary spring as the Grizzly spring is heavy duty. Anyway, it has no effect on gearing.

One other thing that you can do while you have it apart is to add a 1 mm shim. You can buy the shims on eBay or I can probably find you a Yamaha part number. The shim will also help you achieve a lower gear ratio for little money, less than $10.

Spend some time at the Grizzly web sites on the internet. There is much discussion of clutch tuning. You can even find videos of clutch weight replacement on YouTube.

More info: http://forum.highlifter.com/tm.aspx?...page=1#3184142

Good luck.
    Last edited by Superx; 06-29-2010 at 21:02. Reason: added link

Thumbs up Happy mostly stock

Quote Originally Posted by Superx View Post
    I too run 27" XTRs on my 700 Griz. The machine did not start rolling easily from a dead stop. In fact, on most tight trails, I would ride in low gear.
    I will never again look longingly at the 27" XTRs for my Grizz. Thanks for posting this.

Doesn't removing weight to attain higher rpm also decrease force on the belt allowing slippage and heat build up? Makes more sense to me to change the primary spring to a stiffer one to attain a slightly higher engagement and leave the weights alone to keep the belt grip.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I will never again look longingly at the 27" XTRs for my Grizz. Thanks for posting this.
    Man. you said it.
    Thanks for this thread.
    I like my machine just the way it is....
    Does what it is made to do without all of the bs... ($$$)
    Last edited by fullkurl; 07-07-2010 at 13:39.
    Proud to be an American!