Thread: I'm just a poor boy

Default I'm just a poor boy

I dont have the means to hire a air service and I dont have an atv this is my first year hunting in alaska I have scouted for moose and found a few places I can hunt with what I have.I live in fairbanks and I would like to get a bou with my rifle but I dont no where to start (besides 5 miles off the haul road) any help or advise would be great thank you.

Wink

You can contact the AHTNA Corporation and see if they will let you become one of their Hunter/Providers for the natives that don't want to hunt or you can wait and go to the Taylor Highway and hunt the Forty Mile Herd on the Registration Permit. It opens late August, so you need to plan pretty soon. Either way, it is pretty much a sure deal. The hunt along the Steese Hwy, is iffy, especially on foot.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default thnx

thank you for the info I will scout it out

Thumbs up Get more $$

Short and to the point...

Get more money, get another job, drop a habit and save.....but fly in whenever possible for your Alaskan hunting gigs...

...if you want to experience a higher quality hunt and shoot more stuff.

If you can only afford a short flight, then toughen up physically and mentally in the fitness center and on the hillside trains while your friends are drinking beer and fishing the Kenai River. Cross more hills and mountains. Cross more streams and rivers. Crash through more Alder brush. Put more barriors between you and the other hunters who will seldom do the additional work....and you will let the air out of more critters.

Really, really.

Dennis

Even if you can't affored a short flight there is still a good chance at geting a big game animal from one of our road systems,do it a couple times every year!good advice from true adventure quit drinking beer and fishing kenai that was just funny!get in shape,buy a good pair of boots and walk farther than the other guy,you will have lots of company of off the road but it is still doable,just a lot of hard work expecally when you finally score and have to make several trips back to the road.Don't let em get you down and do your homework,good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by roughneck6883 View Post
    I dont have the means to hire a air service and I dont have an atv this is my first year hunting in alaska I have scouted for moose and found a few places I can hunt with what I have.I live in fairbanks and I would like to get a bou with my rifle but I dont no where to start (besides 5 miles off the haul road) any help or advise would be great thank you.
    "I'm just a poor boy"... not if you have your "health". Lots of good hunting without chartering out -
    Joe (Ak)

Get out and walk. There are plenty of good places to hunt that you can access by foot because others don't want to go there. They want to ride their 4 wheeler in or take their boat.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default be a bit tougher

I'm always amazed at all the sign of man in the first mile or two off the road or trail, and then how much it thins out beyond that. Very obvious that most are looking for the easy hit and that the real Alaska is not really that far from the road. Even with fourwheelers they don't get off those things for long.

So get off the trail and walk a little farther and I think you might be surprised. It's absolutely right, your health and strength, willingness to be a bit tougher than the rest could make you a very successful and rich boy in Alaska.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

If you saved 20 dollars a week from now until the season opens you would have enough for a drop off hunt.

Move to Wrangell and walk out your door to hunt.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default no fitness issues........... just time

I didnt mean to give off the wrong impression I am not out of shape I was more interested in areas where I could walk to caribou and be hunting the entire time and have an area that has some decent number of bou there, my job doesnt allow much time off so I wanted to get to an accessible area for caribou for time reasons (not fitness) the reason I wasnt crazy about the haul road (this year) is I will probably be solo for probably an overnight hunt at a time and if I had one down by myself thats 20 -30 miles atleast ...now I am in good shape but 25 miles in muskeg with a pack I might have an issue with time. just because of the corridor I wouldn be hunting alot of the time so it would be rough if I saw a big bull and couldnt shoot one because I couldnt make it to work the next day

Default the cheapest and easiest backcountry access...

...is via canoe in my opinion. Canoe's aren't all that expensive. Get one and teach yourself to line and pole upstream and you'll be amazed at the places you can get to that are relatively free of other hunting pressure. Plus, you alleviate having to pack all the meat out for long distances, just pack it back to the canoe and float it out.

I didnt mean to give off the wrong impression I am not out of shape I was more interested in areas where I could walk to caribou and be hunting the entire time and have an area that has some decent number of bou there, my job doesnt allow much time off so I wanted to get to an accessible area for caribou for time reasons (not fitness) the reason I wasnt crazy about the haul road (this year) is I will probably be solo for probably an overnight hunt at a time and if I had one down by myself thats 20 -30 miles atleast ...now I am in good shape but 25 miles in muskeg with a pack I might have an issue with time. just because of the corridor I wouldn be hunting alot of the time so it would be rough if I saw a big bull and couldnt shoot one because I couldnt make it to work the next day
    I don't mean this as a negative, but something to think about:

If there was a place, that you could walk to...in a short period of time (job restrictions)...with a decent number of bou...

Everybody would already be there.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Thumbs up adaquate tools/resources

roughneck,
    I believe many of us have provided you a few gems of info to consider. Everything suggested, sounds valuable to a greater or lesser extent. None of it sounds un-usuable.
    I'm sure you will do just fine with the "tools" and resources you have. Keep in mind that many, most, of us have made initial trips in to game country where all we got a good education. And then most of us have gone back into that same (or similar) area and whacked out critters and had a hunt-of-a-lifetime. And with caribou, "timing" is everything. Or, "location" is everything. Or is it both?
    With time and effort, you are going to...
    Have a great hunt(s) up in that north country.

As a float hunter/guide myself, I like bushrats suggestion of using a canoe.
    An inflatable canoe? Two caribou, 200 pounds+ in addition to backpack camp gear, will float better than carry...
    Hardshell canoe to line and pole...or inflatable to tow of drag upstream.

dennis

With regards to caribou off the road system in a relatively short period of time without having to do the 5 mile hike, really your only option is th 40 Mile herd on either the Taylor or Steese Highways. This hunt can close in a matter of days after the August 29th opening, though, depending on the location of the animals relative to the road and hunting pressure. Count on lots of company in most areas along these roads.

The only other road accessible caribou other than the Haul Road are the Kenai Mountains and Central Alaska Range herds. Both require hard-to-win drawing permits, and on average most hunters will hike far more than 5 miles off the road to access these animals.

Your best option might be to learn how to shoot a bow, get certified, and consider hunting the Haul Road next year. As plentiful as caribou are in Alaska, they're really not a good option for road system hunting.

Roughneck,

Your in Fairbanks!!!....you have the back yard!!!....You'd be surprize what you'd find around the area if you want to hunt on a budget, theres some good areas, but you'll have to park and hike in.....I used to live in Fairbanks, PM me

Default thank you all

thank you all for offering attainable solutions most were very helpful when I looked into them.I am sure bou will be a challenge for the timeline but all the help couldnt of hurt

Im a poor boy myself... You have to get out there like everyone has said. Ive never flown anywhere and in 4 hunting seasons in ak Ive taken 7 bou 4 moose a sheep and a griz. I do have a 4 wheeler which allowed me to get to the griz and moose but thats something you probably should have if you want to do moose. They are just huge animals. As far as a 4 wheeler I have one for sale if you're interested. Its an investment that will pay for itself in adventures in the comming years. Saves a ton of back breaking work as well.