Thread: First time dipper, gonna try Kasilof 12-16 Jul need help!

Default First time dipper, gonna try Kasilof 12-16 Jul need help!

Ok heres the low down, I'm a solder from Ft. Richardson this the first year I am allowed the dip. The equipment: a 4x4 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Suzuki Sidekick 4x4, a homemade dipnet that i found, a wife and 4 and 6 year old sons. The plan is to dip the Kasilof from the 12-16 ofJULY I start leave on the 11th and am free till the 24th. I plan on renting another dipnet from the mwr on base as a back up, and some coolers. I think I am mostly looking for any tips tricks, or anything that help increase my chances of putting fish in the freezer. That is the main goal FISH IN THE FREEZER! I'd like to keep the whole famile involved, with that being said any tips or even better, any dipping vets that are open during that time frame willing to show me and the fam the ropes would be fantastic! We have a tent and we definely not scared to rough it.

dip the kenai instead. it opens on the 10th me thinks

Default Dip the Kenai

First off. Thank you for your service!

The Kenai should open on the 10th. since you have 4x4's you should go to the south side of the Kenai and camp on the beach. It gets really packed down there but there will be plenty of people dipping so advice should be abbundant. Bring lots of ice and big coolers. Also a stringer to put your fish on. You will need chest waders and neoprene gloves are ideal. Fish the incomming tide, but also found that at low tide (connect your stringer to you make it extra long for lots of fish so you don't have to walk in every fish) it is really productive when the fish are in. when your stringer is getting heavy walk it in and have your kids and wife be the fish processors. They can clip the tails rinse and put on ice. When you w3ant to fillet your fish you should go to centinial camp ground and use their fillet tables.

PM me for more info.

Good luck and have fun!!

Sounds like I should dip the Kenai, then. Mostly looking for a safe place for the kids and ease of camping and way to get to the river.

P.S. RustyMonkey Proud to do it

Default Dipnetting

I would strongly recommend you bring some games/beach toys for your sons to keep them busy when there are no fish to do.

Kenai has bigger fish, but the crowds are crazy at times.

Kasilof is more laid back. Smaller fish, but smaller crowds to deal with. I will be on the north beach of the Kasilof from the 15th to the 19th or till we limit out for the year. Gonna be the first year both of my kids are in the water with me, so it should be either fun and productive or a complete headache. Big question is who is gonna do all the fish bonking now that the girls are big enough to fish?
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Thanks to all for the help!

Especially for a first-timer, you'll be much, much better off at the Kasilof. The Kenai is a terrible place to be during dip-season. It will be Disneyland sized crowds with a lot of very inconsiderate people (not a majority, but just enough morons to make the whole experience suck). There isn't that much difference between fish sizes, but there is a big difference between fish concentrations... the Kasilof is much easier to fish even though there are fewer fish. That's because the river is less than half the width, so the fish are crowded into a smaller space. They enter the river right on the beach so you can catch all the fish you want in waist-deep water. With your 4x4 you can drive up the beach (stay off the grasses & dunes) from Coho Loop and camp right on the beach. There's lots of room. Or you can go to the north side and literally drive on a road to within a few yards of the river. There is less room for camping and parking on the north side.

Tips... get or build a big fish stringer (or a Kenai Keeper) so you don't have to get out of the water. Dragging the net back to the beach with every fish is very inefficient and it typically goes along with poor fish handling. Get setup where you can stand in one spot, pull your net back to you, remove the fish and put it on the stringer without ever leaving the water. Slice both gills so the fish bleeds itself out quickly (some will tell you to slit only 1 gill, but this just prolongs the dying time without letting the fish bleed out as much resulting in a lower quality meat from the stress effect).

Stand in one spot and don't try to wade out too far. The fish run shallow and the majority of people with 20' net handles who wade out to neck-deep water don't catch very many fish because the fish are running behind them near the bank. Also, the practice of walking downstream, getting out and hiking back up stream to repeat the process does nothing but make you tired and ensure you're only fishing half the time. It has no positive effect on getting fish into your net. Find a spot and just stand there.

Fish the flood. If you change plans and are still going to be fishing on the 22nd, PM me as that is the day the massive red biomass of salmon will start hitting the Kasilof hard. I'd be more than happy to meet down at the river.

Good luck.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!