Thread: Advice/info for haul road Bou (w/horses)

Question Advice/info for haul road Bou (w/horses)

Looking for anyone that can provide some "do's & don'ts" for taking horses up the haul road chasing Bou. I'll be taking my two young gunslingers up there this year trying to get my youngest on his first critter. My oldest knocked one over last year out of the 40 mile herd, but that season is a little late this year, so we figured we would explore some new territory. If you have advice or info, please shoot it my way in whatever form you want. We are planning on heading up on or about 15 AUG. Just to waylay any concerns, I have used my horse extensively moose hunting, but also realize that the terrain up there is quite a bit different from the mountains that we normally run around on. He is not a "show" horse, in fact, he's pretty ugly, guess that's why we get along so well. Thanks in advance. I have tried to use the "search" here, but I can't seem to find the right word to type in that gets me to info ref. horses on the haul road.

What I glean from your post...multiple hunters, guns not bows, one horse, mid August, Haul Road, and Caribou...about right? That means you will need to go into Unit 26 north of Atigan Pass. Plan on carrying your camp on your back and pack your horse with his/her feed (I would recommend a good total pellet). You need to hike at least five miles off the road to be in the rifle area. There will not be any feed a horse can "live off" in this area...no nutritional quality. Plan on packing your horse out with meat, it will replace the feed. Very few places I would take a horse up there, check your maps real close...better yet, find someone that has been with horses.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by CenterMass View Post
    ".. tried to use the "search" here, but I can't seem to find the right word to type in that gets me to info ref. horses on the haul road.
    Try "Koontz" or "Want", both used mules and/or horses for lots of years in the Brooks Range. Both REAllY nice guys!
    Joe (Ak)

Thumbs down Be very careful.

Been up there a couple of times for fly in hunts out of Happy Valley. From my limited experience, the tundra is no place for horses unless you already know where you are going. There is a thread I saw a while back. It is under "Questions about the haul road " , and it gives you some insight.

Default Horses up the Haul Rd.

I practically lived up the haul road....theres several outfitters taking horses up there, you'll see a trailer full of square bailed hay and big horse trailer following, I know one outfitter operates just south of Slope Mtn. theres several horse trails around there, theres even an outfitter in Coldfoot that runs a pack string. I have a few horses myself, and have been all over the state just trail riding, and yes, muskeg can be difficult, however, stay toward the mountain trails and or creek and river beds. Every year I see more and more horses going up there....

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks to all for the info. I'll try the search suggested. I only ride Hank when I hunt alone and out of a main camp. Otherwise, Hank carries his own feed and fence out for a spike camp and we carry our gear on our backs....but he makes his $$$$ carring the meat out (2 young backs and one old back means lots of shuttles between kill site and truck....with Hank he can carry out in one trip what would take us about 4). Appreciate the advice, I'll post a trip report when we get back

Centermass sending PM.

Angry ***

man i thought horse back was not legal up there, if it isnt i packed that fraken tastey beast of burden on my back for nothing.