Thread: Need Challenging Trail for this weekend

Default Need Challenging Trail for this weekend

Me and some other folks are going up this weekend and are in desperate need of some "skilled" trails. To give you an example, The Copper River from O'Brien Creek past Haley Creek to the Uranatina River was okay but looking for something a bit more difficult. Any advice? What is the most extreme trail/offroading you can think of.

Do a night run for more challenge.

Any trail you can do in a weekend can not be very challenging; for that matter if it a “trail” it’s no real challenge. Why don’t you go from Valdez to Eureka, via Tazline Glacier to Nelchina Glacier? The miners took horses and wagons across it in the old days how hard can it be.

Default I have done it

with a snowmachine, so why not a wheeler??

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    Any trail you can do in a weekend can not be very challenging; for that matter if it a “trail” it’s no real challenge. Why don’t you go from Valdez to Eureka, via Tazline Glacier to Nelchina Glacier? The miners took horses and wagons across it in the old days how hard can it be.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

What general area do you want to ride in? We just did the Pinochle trail back only 20 miles and it took 10 hours to do the 40 miles round trip - lots of deep, bottomless mud holes and some rock crawling. I'd classify it as challenging and for the skilled rider. If I had a whole weekend I'd consider trying to ride either from Pinochle to Puritan or Pinochle to Eureka. That might take more than just two days, though.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Pinochle is a good ride and there's some beautiful country to be seen as well. If your pulling a trailer that hill coming back to the top can be a real pia to conquer without help. We did it last year and had a great time.

Not sure exactly what your looking for as far as a challenge goes so I don't know ow much help I can give you.

One of my favorite trails is the Stampede trail, pretty easy for the first section until you hit where it crosses the tundra then it can become a muddy mess. Crossing the Savage and Teklanika can be fun too though the Savage is usually always doable, not so much for the Tek however.

Plenty of trails off the Denali highway that can be fun to ride too.

How was the trail from O Brien Creek to Haley Creek. Is the slide area any better for ATVs? How recently were you on the trail?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by scenicnights View Post
    Me and some other folks are going up this weekend and are in desperate need of some "skilled" trails. To give you an example, The Copper River from O'Brien Creek past Haley Creek to the Uranatina River was okay but looking for something a bit more difficult. Any advice? What is the most extreme trail/offroading you can think of.
    Could someone please expand more on this trail? Access point, distance, type of terrain, etc.? Its a new one to me and sounds intriguing.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info about the Valdez to Eureka trail. This sounds quite interesting but I am having a difficult time trying to find the route. Roughing it through 2 glaciers and some serious terrain, I would like to get somewhat of idea of the beginning and ending points. Can anyone chime in on these locations?

It was a joke. Without mounting some sort of expedition it can't be done on a wheeler.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

To answer some of the questions from my first posting...O'Brien to Haley was typical. I just drove it mid-June and there were only a couple fallen rock piles but nothing difficult. Plenty wide for ATV's and there was even a blue Suburu Outback that made it to Haley. I don't know if he made it back out. Once I got to the Uranatina River...game over! Way too wide and fast for an ATV. Nothing on the other side to grapple and winch across either. The roughest part of the trip was the third tunnel. It was quite the experience crawling up a rock wall where it had caved in. Lots of overgrowth in the area causing about 100 beatings to the face/body from limbs. If you're near the area, I recommend going. If you're not in the area, I don't think the 28 mile round-trip journey would be worth the commute.

There are TONS of trails up on the Denali Highway. All offer some serious mudding in places. If you want a short day ride with mega challenging mud you can go up the South Fork of Montana Creek. There are a bunch of good trails that head off the Willow side of Hatcher's pass. What kind of challenge do you want?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

.....this one is always fun....

....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Seven mile lake trail on Denali. About two miles south of Mcclarean lodge b/f the summit.
    Bring extra everything. Nice size lake trout and very pretty, if you make it back there.
    589 mudlites r a must, or comperable, winch, DEET, Beer, fishing gear.