Thread: Dalton hwy 'bou

Default Dalton hwy 'bou

Just looked at the new regs.
    DHCMA
    5 caribou total.
    Bulls= no closed season
    cows= July1 - May 15

So I wonder how many "new archers" we are going to get this summer.
    Also do you think this will cause hunters to harvest more anamals than they can use, just cuz they can?

I will take 2 if things work out, but I just can't see the average family needing 5.

Was this rule put in place to perhaps try to take some pressure off the Fortymile herd?

Scott
    He who tries to tread on me
    will find himself in misery
    and this I promise faithfully
    upon my fathers name

Quote Originally Posted by Scott in AK View Post
    Just looked at the new regs.
    DHCMA
    5 caribou total.
    Bulls= no closed season
    cows= July1 - May 15

So I wonder how many "new archers" we are going to get this summer.
    Also do you think this will cause hunters to harvest more anamals than they can use, just cuz they can?

I will take 2 if things work out, but I just can't see the average family needing 5.

Was this rule put in place to perhaps try to take some pressure off the Fortymile herd?

Scott
    The rule was put in place because the harvest goals are not being met and haven't been for quite a few years now. I don't know that we need 5, it truly depends on the size of the animals. 5 young bulls would do well for my family of 5 and I would love to be able to give some of it away to less able friends/family. Me and 3 buddies all w/ big families are talking about doing this hunt next year. Unlikely we could all limit, but it would be neat to figure out how to put 20 bou into an 8' pickup bed!!

I love this change! I'm not out for a trophy, just one caribou for the freezer for myself... being able to shoot a cow before October makes that a lot more likely to happen.

Twice last year I made the drive up from Fairbanks only to find the herd had moved out in between the most recent reports and my trip. I saw only one bull each time, and just a few straggler cows. Being able to stalk the cows would have made that situation much more interesting. I wouldn't have had to fall in the Sag to keep myself entertained.

The 5 caribou limit seems excessive, but it may be alright. I doubt most people go up there with any intention of taking more than 1, let alone 5. It's a lot of extra work just to pack & process them. I'm afraid the higher limit will attract a few wasteful gluttons to go on wild shooting sprees. Hopefully they will still be repelled by the inability to use rifles and ATVs, and there won't be enough of them to harm the population or spoil the atmosphere for the rest of us.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

This will be my first year hunting the Haul Road. I'll be a non-resident till next year, so seeing as the tags are $325 a piece, I'll only be shooting one Caribou. I couldn't see buying multiple tags. Now next year if I were to do it I'd get two tags as they're free and try for two Caribou. 5 seems to be pretty high.

Considering all the reports I have read through these forums and the archives over the last several years, seems like the reports are pretty slim. Never seems like people see a whole lot, I find it hard to believe that the herd is increasing with wolves, bears, and hunters. Maybe I'm wrong?

I usually try to take two. 1 1/2 for my family of five and 1/2 for a single mom next door with two fine kids. It is a lot of work and hiking them out over the tundra in not my idea of a great time, but we love the meat.

I agree with Lujon the harvest was changed because sufficient numbers have not been taken from this heard over the last few years.

Just my Nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Default more worth the drive...

...if you can harvest more than one. Not sure very many people can truly use 5 caribou without sharing with friends and extended family.
    I wouldn't mind a couple for the freezer.

If you can shoot 5 go for it. Just do not waste the meat.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

i plan on shooting 5, and my son plans on shooting 5, so all you guys *****ing about the change, shoot your 1, and get the hell out the way!!!!

Default 2

I'll be attempting to get two, that will get us (family of four) through the winter and into the summer months. Boy I love bou meat!
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

Default Just dont waste it!!

Obviously if there is an increase in the number you can harvest there is a reason behind it. Hopefully everyone who elects to take more thean they normally do will use the meat appropriately. I know myself, I have a large family(6) and could really use an extra bou for the winter and I have some extended family that are getting up in age and can't get the meat themselves. The bottom line is, if nothing gets wasted then there is nothing wrong with the increase, I do not think that the 99% of us that do the right thing will all of a sudden do the wrong thing because we are authorized more animals.