Thread: Point Barrow this morning...

Default Point Barrow this morning...

There seems to be only one polar bear haning around Point Barrow this spring. I've seen it once before, and again this morning. He's too skittish to get close enough for a good picture.

A couple miles back towards town, it was a real surprise to find this seal soaking up sunlight and warmth.

I guess we're supposed to feel sorry for you that there is "only one polar bear" to photograph ? Just kidding, of course. At least that particular bear doesn't look like he's starving. Nice photos.
    My photo galleries: Northern Focus Photography

Thanks for sharing Floyd.

Polar bears are not something I get to see very often (ever).

Not many on the east coast
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Great pictures! The hunter and the hunted.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Valdez View Post
    I guess we're supposed to feel sorry for you that there is "only one polar bear" to photograph ? Just kidding, of course. At least that particular bear doesn't look like he's starving. Nice photos.
    Well, yeah!

Last year at this time there were 4 or 5 bears eating on the pile of whale bones out at Point Barrow every morning. One time I took some people out to look at them, and we sat there glassing the ice and counted a total of 11 bears.

This year, for reasons that I don't know, no new bones were added to the pile despite an extremely successful whaling season. I suspect that is why there's only one bear. But... look at the gut on that guy! He's not underfed.

Otherwise, I've been trying to get some good shots of Eider ducks, and so far not a single good one. Same with Snowy Owls, and haven't seen an Arctic Fox for many months. And that's the way it is here, from day to day and year to year. I just go photograph whatever there is, and there is almost always something and it's never what I expect it to be.

Barrow is paradise!

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    Great pictures! The hunter and the hunted.
    Yeah, I like it when that is very distinct.

Sometimes those white bears aren't too sure about it, and want to check me out for blubber content. I had one chase me away 4 times before it finally decided that it wasn't going to catch me. No big deal for him, he's got a whole bone pile out there to eat... but it sure is nerve wracking for me!