Thread: Freestyle Backcountry Riders Speak up!!

Question Freestyle Backcountry Riders Speak up!!

Just brought a new one home last week and I am anxious to talk with any others owners who have added aftermarket mods or likes and dislikes with the machine.

I can see room for some improvment, ski width, paddle size etc... but overall I am pleased with the machine, lots of powder to put it to the test this year.

Thinking about a pair of Simmons G2 or Powderhounds, 10in Width Skis !!! , anyone tried them??

The 550F is hauling my Fat A@& around just fine {I go about 250lbs} but the gas mileage appears to suck, just during breakin I hope.
    I see others are getting around 8-10 MPG, I barely get 5 so far.
    What's are you getting????

The backcountry has been selling like hotcakes so I know you guys are out there, chime in !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tsh View Post
    The backcountry has been selling like hotcakes so I know you guys are out there, chime in !!!!!
    Yea, but most of them can't get on the internet with-out their parents permission though

HA!! HA!!

The 2006 models of the freestyle targeted at kids/beginers, this has given the backcountry a bad rap.

I have a 2002 600 Renegade as well and this machine's RF chassis and light weight make it one nimble machine in comparison, near perfect for what it was designed for, the $5800 price tag is right to. I know a few tundra owners who are looking at them and these dudes are hard to sway.

You just have to get over the ATV industries{and Bill Gates} marketing ploy of more {HP and $$$} is everything, they are playing you like a song.

Some of us remember when a 300cc was the hottest thing around and we were happy with it.

I doubt if you can remeber these days, judging by your comment, I am guessing you are not far the womb yourself.

Default MPG will improve

I have a 06 Summit with the same 550F powerplant and have been very, very pleased with it. The clutching and gearing may be a little different but I too got poor gas mileage during breakin (5-6 mpg x 200-300miles). Now my sled has over 1000 miles and I get nearly 10 mpg (wippee!?!) and even with a sig amount of powder/aggressive riding. However, I'm only 160lbs and that may be a factor also. Have fun with your new sled!

Thanks for the good news.
    I see from a prev post that you were looking at the BackCountry also.
    Looks like you recieved the same feedback, it may never live down it's Freestyle name from the lighter duty predecessor.

Did you buy the Phazer per the recomendation??, I was looking at it as well.
    Decided to stick with Skidoo, the 14in track spooked me on the Phazer.

If you are still looking at the Backcountry let me know, you are welcome to give it a ride.

I've got a brand new Tundra and it is built on the same chasis. I like it so far, my only complaint is that there is too much ski preasure and the only adjustments are the limiter strap (which is loose) and the rear spring.

ive got 2007 550 expedition sport and i love it... as far as i can tell the only difference between it and the backcountry is the seat and the rack.i needed a 2up so i went with it instead of the backcountry. the mileage isnt the best but its something i can learn to live with i suppose. im a pretty good sized guy myself and there doesnt seem to be any issues with that. so far.

Default response to #5

No, I did not buy the BackCountry but bought the Summit Rev with the 550F. I also considered the Phazer but likewise was spooked by the 14 inch track and SUPER tweaked new 4 stroke motor. Thanks for the offer to ride your sled and I wish I could have had a chance to ride one a couple months ago. Without the chance to ride a BackCountry I decided to go with the Summit because I was familiar with it and liked it. So how does it do in the powder compared to other mountain/powder sleds?

Yea whatever, I have about 30 years on sleds, I'm just a Smart *****
    Quote Originally Posted by tsh View Post
    HA!! HA!!

The 2006 models of the freestyle targeted at kids/beginers, this has given the backcountry a bad rap.

I have a 2002 600 Renegade as well and this machine's RF chassis and light weight make it one nimble machine in comparison, near perfect for what it was designed for, the $5800 price tag is right to. I know a few tundra owners who are looking at them and these dudes are hard to sway.

You just have to get over the ATV industries{and Bill Gates} marketing ploy of more {HP and $$$} is everything, they are playing you like a song.

Some of us remember when a 300cc was the hottest thing around and we were happy with it.

I doubt if you can remeber these days, judging by your comment, I am guessing you are not far the womb yourself.