Thread: wanting to move to alaska

Default wanting to move to alaska

anyone know were i can find some work in alaska, i just got out of the army, and i have always wanted to live in alaska, i will do anything it takes to get up there.. only problem is i need to find work and a place to stay, any suggestions would be very appreciated..

What did you do in the Army? Did you gain any specific skills that would be directly applicable to a certain industry? Oil field work can be great if you can get it and are willing to work a rigorous schedule. There are always jobs available in most areas of the state if you've got the necessary skills.

Thumbs up tough move

Very few people find work here before they move here. Almost no jobs here will pay relo costs either. That is a tough situation; it is a hard move to make.

If you own little and are committed to come, then pack light and come. Unless you have an in somewhere else, I'd strongly recommend Anchorage be your first destination; it is the largest single community of people here and has the most jobs available - though take not I am not saying its easy to get one. Plus it has lots of garage sales (during summer months only) so you can buy stuff cheaper than move it.

Great first step asking for info; likely you'll get lots of good info so use the forum function to 'subscribe' to this thread that you've started and stay tuned.

Good luck and welcome to this forum!

Alaska is a big state with lots of different jobs. You might want to be a bit more specific as to what area you're interested in and what type of job you're looking/qualified for so that people can give you a little more help.

i was a mechanic in the army, i can work on just about anything that has a motor , i was a tank mechanic, but i worked on everything.

Default motors

We have lots of motors here. Likely more motors per capita than anywhere I'd wager. I wish I knew more motors myself.

I wonder if a guy was a motor fixit guy including winterization and de-winterization that would do house calls would make money in Anchorage.

Out in the bush people do their own work so that's why I again recommend "the big city", here.

Tons of people have tons of toys up here: 4 wheelers, outboards, argos, snowmachines, snowblowers, mowers, trucks, cars, swamp buggys and many more - - per household. I can't imagine that everyone changes their oil and winterizes/dewinterizes their stuff like I do religiously (though I could be wrong).

Just an idea...

do you think it would be hard to find a place to stay once i got up there

Default cost of living

Yes and no. Places are always available in Anchorage, but our cost of living is higher than most of the US. But its lower in Anchorage than anywhere else in Alaska except the Valley (an hour north of Anchorage) but the Valley has less jobs.

Look at ads in the paper adn.com to see cost of places to live, and availability.

When your post count is enough (I don't know the number) to allow you the ability to send private messages (PMs) here on this site, PM me and I'll tell you a couple things that will help you, but that would tick off some people if I posted it/if they read it, here, publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by marauderman View Post
    anyone know were i can find some work in alaska, i just got out of the army, and i have always wanted to live in alaska, i will do anything it takes to get up there.. only problem is i need to find work and a place to stay, any suggestions would be very appreciated..
    You should have stayed in/reenlisted to get here so you could have been established and networked to get out. Maybe you tried and it didn't work out, but you are being very vague with your questions.
    Got now you were a mechanic in the Army, but how much experience? Married/Kids? How big of a place do you want need? Where do you want to be, this state is HUGE.
    Help us help you kid.
    BTW: If your looking for employment opportunities, make sure your grammar and capitalization are correct. We are not all "Eskimo's living in Igloo's up here". You never know who is reading this.

Default Hey now!

Quote Originally Posted by Derby06 View Post
    We are not all "Eskimo's living in Igloo's up here".

You never know who is reading this.
    In the first part of this, are you talking-bad about igloos?

But you're right about the second part of this. Because... a picture of my house is below.

LMAO...That is funny right there, I don't care who you are.

Im a single 31 year old, I worked as a mechanic in the army for 5 years. I can work on disel engines, or turbine engines. I just need a small place for one person. I served 15 months in baghdad, and had to work in some truly difficult situations, so I know how to get the job done under pressure.. Thanks guys for all the help.

Marauderman, email me at akiceman25 at hotmail.com.... I know of a company who hires diesel mechanics occasionally.

-akiceman25