Thread: Fishing for Kings from a Raft on the Kenai

Default Fishing for Kings from a Raft on the Kenai

Hello all, I was wondering if using a raft on the drift only Mondays is worthwhile. Admittedly, I have never fished the Kenai from either a raft or drift boat, only on guided trips. Can a novice put in the time and have a chance? Any hints/tips would be very much appreciated.

I appreciate any help you choose to give.

Thanks in advance,
    Moose44

eagerly watching this one...I was thinking of doing the same thing. work one more night then have 8 days off. I am set up to backbounce out of my cat...works very well, would love to try the kenai...any tips on rigs and put in pull outs would be great...

I'd be going solo in a 16' cat so I'd have room for a person or two if they wanted to go.

Better yet..maybe Alaska Chuck wants to play hookie from work?

I suppose rowing solo is a helluva lot easier then rowing 3 LOL!

No tips what so ever? hmmmm

Default Drag Away!

This would be a fun thing to do the last two weeks of July if you have decent water conditions. Put in at Centennial Park in Soldotna. Have several rigs set up for dragging (also called drifting or boondogging); use 25-30# test line as you may need to break off some rigs and 2oz-2 1/2 oz leads. Drag through the following areas avoiding backtrollers (BT's): Below Sunken Island to Poacher's Cove; the Cutbank (across river from Harry Gains) to above Porter's (now Kenai River Quest); below BT's at Honeymoon down to BT's above Toilet Hole; below BT's at Toilet down and through Eagle Rock to BT's at Crossover; below BT's at Mud Island and down through Bluffs to into Cow Pasture (at this point you need to time tide-if you get into lower river at high slack just back-bounce until tide changes). You will then need outgoing tide to drift on down to take-out at either Kenai Landing or city dock. This will be a lot of fun and you should be able to hook up a few fish. Don't bother if the water is muddy. Good Luck!

Oh, you are talking about Mondays--not much problem with back-trollers! My technique would work on other fishing days, but watch the traffic!

Wink

good post Joe Lure,

I have seen a few rafts out there on Mondays, and I have seen them catch fish too. I remember one at Beaver Hole that had several hook ups.

Like Joe said the last stretch can have some great fishing but it also has some pretty slack water which may require a lot of rowing. I have my wife meet me at the bridge and then I throw the motor on the drift boat and head to the city boat launch. I have tossed a line to a rafter before and pulled him along for the ride.

Some other put in and take out points are Stewarts, Pillars, and Eagle Rock. I think there really needs to be a drift boat/raft only take out in the Cunningham Park area. This would make a great float trip a lot easier without having to deal with picking up a motor, crazy dip net boaters, and commercial boaters in the lower river. It can get a little wild after the bridge.

The state needs to provide more drift boat only access points and then add another no motor fishing day to the week. Maybe Wednesdays. Of course then I would get even less work done then I do now.

As far as technique, I think that Joe covered that pretty good as well. Drifting or bouncing with eggs would probably be the best.

Scott

Scott

Joe/Scott, thanks for the info. I will definitely give it a try. How far approx is the stretch with the slack water? Either way, it has got to be easier rowing with 3 folks in a raft than 2 and a pair of Moose. I really appreciate the info.

Thanks again,
    Moose44

Cunningham Park, suggested by Scott, is a good possibility for a takeout. But check this out ahead of time to see if you can get your raft out of there. CP is about 6 miles up from the mouth of the river. I don't have a map in front of me but I would guestimate you would have a 3-4 mile row from there to Kenai Landing or city dock. Not bad if you have an outgoing tide and not fighting wind.