Thread: Early run vs Late run Russian Sockeyes

Default Early run vs Late run Russian Sockeyes

Is there a big difference in fishing the early run vs the late run? The late run is bigger, but are the fish any bigger, do they move faster upriver, hangout less? Which run do you like fishing more? I've never fished the late run and wanted to hear some experiences.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Is there a big difference in fishing the early run vs the late run? The late run is bigger, but are the fish any bigger, do they move faster upriver, hangout less? Which run do you like fishing more? I've never fished the late run and wanted to hear some experiences.
    IMO the 2nd run has bigger fish, not sure if the runs are generally larger than the first run or not though.

I have no preference on run, just prefer when the fish are actually in the Russian vs having to flip the Kenai.

Quote Originally Posted by Mashesta View Post
    IMO the 2nd run has bigger fish, not sure if the runs are generally larger than the first run or not though.

I have no preference on run, just prefer when the fish are actually in the Russian vs having to flip the Kenai.

There is 1 2nd run and a new run of reds in july. The russian river gets 2 run of reds. The Mid to late June run then the mid to late july run. The russian river fish are smaller and have blue backs. There is a BIG Kenai river red run in july. Bigger fish for sure. Green backs. On average a lb or 2 bigger than the russian river fish. If your working the kenai below the russian and catch one of each you will have no problem seeing the difference. Plus the flood of fish for the Kenai can be from 500,000 to a million. fish can be caught up and down the kenai from Kenai to the upper kenai. These kenai reds bed up and spawn in the kenai. Bows and dollies follow them and the fishing can be pretty epic
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

If you don't like the "flip" then how else do you red fish? The second run fish are a little bigger and there does seem to be more.I personally like the second run better,they put up a way better fight when your trying to pull them out of the swift flowing water of kenai.Nothing beats a day at bings or kenai keys when the second run is hot!

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    If you don't like the "flip" then how else do you red fish?

I think he is saying he likes to "spot and stalk" on the Russian rather than the indiscriminate flip on the Kenai where you don't even know if there are any fish there.

For whatever reason; seems like I have always done better on the first run;

Default 2nd Run

I like the second run better for sure. WAY more fish for the second run. They are also bigger sized fish.

Quote Originally Posted by ksaye View Post
    I think he is saying he likes to "spot and stalk" on the Russian rather than the indiscriminate flip on the Kenai where you don't even know if there are any fish there.

For whatever reason; seems like I have always done better on the first run;

Correct, sorry I didn't explain that better.

Thumbs up Monster Reds on the 2nd run

Bigger reds for sure on the second run vs. the first although I have no idea why they are bigger? Possibly better genetics or they maybe stay out to sea longer. I'm sure someone will know on here and will chime in. Also not only more fish on the second run but much less people.

Default Setting the record straight

True... there are monster reds in the late run....

The late KENAI run.

Late run fish bound for the Russian are generally smaller than their early run counterparts. Here's why...

Most early run fish are 6 yr olds... 2 fresh 3 salt, returning in the 6th year after the parent run.

Most late run fish are only 5 yr olds... 2 fresh 2 salt, returning in the 5th year after the parent run.

Dudes fishing the Russian proper will catch smaller Russian fish.

Dudes fishing the confluence are fishing on mixed sub-stocks bound for other areas of the Kenai drainage.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Thanks for clearing up that misconception, fNp. That is indeed correct. 2nd run Russian fish are not any larger, and some are noticably smaller than their 1st run brethren. Late run Kenai sockeye can be very stout, though.