Thread: Main Bay 6-26 report

Default Main Bay 6-26 report

Ran the gauntlet Saturday to Main Bay. I've never seen so many commercial fishing boat in one area before. Slowly made it into Main Bay to our usual snagging spot. Outside the bay and inside the bay full of commercial boats. Didn't see any jumpers inside the bay and crusied the shorelines and saw nada. Guys must have been doing a good job with their nets. If there is an commercial opener next weekend I will stay away for sure. Did get some shrimp over the weekend and my fishing buddy got a 188 lb. halibut.

I was heading to Main Bay this next weekend;4th of July. I am not sure if it worth the drive out anymore. The last few years I have been skunked I believe due to so many commercial boats out there. I was stuck in the bay one year due to so many nets across the bay. Anyone advise on if there is a commercial opening this next week? Think Coghill might be a better chance?

FYI I have lost numerous shrimps pots due to the commercial fishermen cutting the buoys off. I was told by one boat last year off Ester that if I put my pots out, they will cut them. I have never put my pots out near the fishermen before, but I have had commercial boats move in afterwards and my pots are gone. I will not drop them anywhere if I can see a commercial fish boat in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by ALASKAICEHOLE View Post
    I was heading to Main Bay this next weekend;4th of July. I am not sure if it worth the drive out anymore. The last few years I have been skunked I believe due to so many commercial boats out there. I was stuck in the bay one year due to so many nets across the bay. Anyone advise on if there is a commercial opening this next week? Think Coghill might be a better chance?

FYI I have lost numerous shrimps pots due to the commercial fishermen cutting the buoys off. I was told by one boat last year off Ester that if I put my pots out, they will cut them. I have never put my pots out near the fishermen before, but I have had commercial boats move in afterwards and my pots are gone. I will not drop them anywhere if I can see a commercial fish boat in sight.
    AKIcehole, check out this thread lot's of good info on the same problem you had.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=80923

Smile

does anyone know if there is a opening this weekend coming up july 3& 4h

Look at the post from Muskie.

From the 6/28 commercial announcement:

The next scheduled salmon fisheries announcement is anticipated to be at 2:00 pm Wednesday, June 30. Permit holders are advised that unscheduled announcements based on the most current fisheries data may occur at any time inseason either establishing an additional period or extending an open period.

You can (and should) check the announcements at this link before you head out.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Are the openers typically 12 hours and extended as nessecary or am I misreading that thing? Reads like Greek to me.

Default Well, there goes the neighborhood

From the June 29 update. This includes Main Bay:

ESHAMY DISTRICT: The Eshamy District, excluding the AGZ, will open for an 84-hour period from 8:00 am on Thursday, July 1 until 8:00 pm on Sunday, July 4.

So if you're on the water Monday, then you will have a better shot at reds. That is as long as they don't have another opener.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    From the June 29 update. This includes Main Bay:

ESHAMY DISTRICT: The Eshamy District, excluding the AGZ, will open for an 84-hour period from 8:00 am on Thursday, July 1 until 8:00 pm on Sunday, July 4.

So if you're on the water Monday, then you will have a better shot at reds. That is as long as they don't have another opener.
    I'd bet they open it right up again on monday.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Steve (A.K.A. "Shrimp Whisperer"),
    Is the previous opener still ongoing or would tomorrow be safe of me and my boat being caught in a gill net. I have 2, 16 year old boys up visiting that have never caught a salmon before and thought it would be fun for them. I hope all is well brother.

Default Listen Up Cause Only the Ignorant whine

Heres the scoop, we fish 24/7 in the Eshamy subdistrict, thats cause we pay for the hatchery, and PWSAC takes the cost recovery from Esther chums so all the sockeyes at Main Bay are available to common property. The AGZ has been closed to set and drift gillnet gear. The fish in the AGZ are small cause they squirted thru the nets. They generally like to save the AGZ fish for brood stock, plus its hard on the barrier seine having boats jump over it all the time.
    Now heres the advice you should heed----- if you want to catch the big socks go places like Gunboot Creek in Eshamy bay or Loomis creek in the Crafton gut. Mainbay reds also like to hang in front of Eshamy creek in the lagoon. All these areas always have fish because they are closed to gillnetting due to the fact there are indigenous stocks that spawn here. So if you do a little research and planning you'll find your sockeyes. I'll keep doing my part keeping Main, Falls, Foul and Eshamy Bays sockeye populations down to a dull roar
    Those of you worried about all the gillnets, you can relax! The gillnetters are only allowed to fish w/in a mile of the mainland, so outside the mile is safe cruising. If you should happen on a gillnet outside the mile, bang on the boat and wake the fisherman up and tell him/her that they're illegal and the troopers are on their way. Remember if you hit a gillnet, you are liable! Yep just like any accident, so its my advice to be sober, and be able to provide the fisherman your insurance info because you are not only liable for the net but lost fishing time
    Oh yeah and on a side note, these reds will hit russian river flies especially at Gunboot Creek, I stand on the house of my boat and cast into the school and watch the predatory buck attack the fly its like bone fishing in Belize
    If you must you those obnoxious treble hooks w/ the lead please use 50lb test cause its a night mare to pick a salmon out of a gillnet w/ one of these hooks impaled in their back, i've got some nasty wounds and keep puttting holes in my gloves.

Default Say it like it is

Good post FullBush, thx

Default Oh, Yea

"Listen up cause only the ignorant whine", sound like a very apealing campaign slogan! Let me know what your running for and I'll support ya. So few in the country and especially on a forum like this honestly calls em like they see's um. I have a lot of respect for that. I also want to compliment your eloquence as many times I'd like to tell them any number of places to go other than where the fish are.

From this point on I will use your phrase as a yard stick when measuring the content of any number of things we see on here.

As this was the first time I've ever done the rep thing, I'm a little unsure if it worked.
    Mike

Fullbush, Thanks for the useful information in your post. I appreciate it. I was not aware of the 1 mile limit from shore for gillnetters. I will still just steer clear of the commercial fleet when I am travelling through an area where an opener is occurring. Last Thursday when we were returning from a week out at Green Island, the gillnetters were thick near the Port Nellie Juan light, we altered course and just went around the fleet.

Also, good detailed information on Main Bay alternatives for recreation folks looking for reds.

Cheers,

Doug