Thread: Rifle satisfaction

Default Rifle satisfaction

Am I the only one who has bought a new rifle knowing from the git-go that it wasn't really the top one on my list when I started my quest.

I have had a 325WSM on my mind for a long time and a week or so ago I bought a Savage Whitetail Hunter in that caliber. There is not a thing wrong with this Savage other than I'm not satisfied. The gun is just not me! Its all cammoed up from head to toe. I figured I could live with that but I can't. It is just a bit barrel heavy and I figured I could live with that too but I can't. So I took it to the gunshop and sat it on the shelf knowing that there is a certain someone who is already wanting it.

My quest started over looking for the perfect (for me) 325 WSM. So I went over my qualifications in my mind knowing already what they were before ever buying the Savage.....blued steel, walnut stock with cut checkering, control round feed, a swing safety and light enough for an old fart to carry! Considering that I have enough so-so turds sitting around here that I need to sell anyway, I didn't figure price into the qualifications.

I typed 325WSM into the search criteria on Gun Brokers home page and went looking. After a short bit of scrolling there it was....a Winchester model 70 classic Featherweight in 325WSM. I had no idea that they were even offered in 325WSM. It is brand new in the box and had a "Buy Now" price of $700, so "Buy Now" is what I did. It not only meets all of my qualifications it fills a void left long ago when I sold one of my all time favorite rifles, a pre 64 Featherweight in 243 because I was going to be a daddy and had no insurance.

Now I'm fully satisfied(as far as the 325WSM is concerned anyway).

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=176546176

That's a nice looking rifle. I hope it's everything you're wishing it to be. You're quite a Gun Broker shopper, 111 positive feedback's, not bad...

That's exactly the gun I bought sincemmoving up here, EKC. Wish we were close enough to sight 'em in together!

What's your plan for glass?

Nice. You should enjoy that rifle. I had exactly the same rifle, but chambered for the 300 WSM cartridge. I killed a moose with it.

Good Post - I had way too many "boat anchors" over the years - one plus of aging is you finally draw the line and say - "if it doesn't please me I don't need it" !
    I still have some that fill a need - like a couple budget guns that sit in places of security but are available when I need one quickly!
    Skunk guns I call them, that I would not shed a tear over if they were damaged!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Great rifle and at a good price as well. A man can never have too many rifles...especially when they are good ol' Winchesters.

Quote Originally Posted by 1buba View Post
    That's exactly the gun I bought sincemmoving up here, EKC. Wish we were close enough to sight 'em in together!

There is a new Nikon at the shop. I think it is a Monarch 2x7. I think I'll try it!

Did the same thing w/ an AR upper. I built up the lower and was shopping for an upper, specifically a 16" flat top w/ no front sight. I found one but it was a bull barrel and the price was right. It shoots great but I still hate the bull barrel! Now that uppers are more readily available I think I am going to send it packing. No matter what I do it just isn't going to be what I want, and this from a guy who NEVER sells guns! In the future I will hold off for Mrs. Right not Mrs. Right-Now...

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I think it is a Monarch 2x7.
    That's the "direction" I'd head in glassing a 325 for our local conditions. And a 1.5x5 Leupold would be even more likely. I've got lots more use for the lower powers than the high end. I've made 300+ yard shots on deer down at 1.5x and no demerits.

Balance and overall weight are big factors for me in a satisfying rifle, and the smaller, shorter scopes just suit me better in a carry gun. Any chance to take the rifle and mounts into the shop and test various scopes on it before buying? Just mount the base of the rings on the rifle and lay the scopes in place.

Sweet Rig! Beautiful.

Nice rifle for sure. A good rifle you don't like is never a joy on hunts.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Ya just never know! I may wander that way one day before I get to old!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That's the "direction" I'd head in glassing a 325 for our local conditions. And a 1.5x5 Leupold would be even more likely. I've got lots more use for the lower powers than the high end. I've made 300+ yard shots on deer down at 1.5x and no demerits.

Balance and overall weight are big factors for me in a satisfying rifle, and the smaller, shorter scopes just suit me better in a carry gun. Any chance to take the rifle and mounts into the shop and test various scopes on it before buying? Just mount the base of the rings on the rifle and lay the scopes in place.
    I agree. I never liked those big bulky high powered 50mm jobs on anything. A short low powered 20-32mm will serve me well!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Ya just never know! I may wander that way one day before I get to old!
    EKC, beautiful rifle. If ya ever wander this way, I'd be honored to meet ya FTF and share some stories over beers or brandy.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    That's a nice looking rifle. I hope it's everything you're wishing it to be. You're quite a Gun Broker shopper, 111 positive feedback's, not bad...
    Most of those 111 gunbroker guns were purchased to give the customers something to gawk at at the local gun shop. The owner of that gun shop has a million irons in the fire and the gun shop is his stress relief hobby. Sometimes he just tells me to buy some interesting stuff for his shop. Not just everyday that a feller gets to go gun shopping on someone else's nickel....it's kinda fun!

I didn't want that 111 feedbacks to mislead anyone into thinking that I could afford to buy guns on a whim like that. It'd be nice but it's just not how it is.

EKC,
    you make it this way and the BBQ will be ready. Assuming it isn't -40 out. lol
    Coffee pot is always on anyway!

EKC,
    you make it this way and the BBQ will be ready. Assuming it isn't -40 (or +123 in my case)out. lol
    Coffee pot is always on anyway!
    Ditto on that.

I've never shot a 325WSM, as I've sorta bounced back/forth between a .300 and the .30-06. But a close friend (hell, almost family) recently set me up with a SWEET 30-06(s). So, I've kinda settled on the 30-06 as my DO IT ALL caliber now! (plus it'll share ammo with the Garand).

Even when it's +123 out...the Beer is ALWAYS cold.

Default scope

Been using Nikon Monarchs a lot lately. They seem to be a great scope for the money. Just put a fixed 4x on the .22. BUT I really like my Leupold 2.5-8 on my 325.

Nice, you are going to have some fun and I am glad you found something you wanted for a good price.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS