Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SE Deer Hunting 2010

Default SE Deer Hunting 2010

Well, we've got a little over a month till its time to hit the Alpine (except for some lucky subsistence places)

Whos got what planned? Opener is on a Sunday this year so I'm expecting it to be quite packed around the Juneau area.

We've got a overnighter planned - Still trying to decide on the location.

Saw this big boy earlier this spring:

We're quite excited and have some new places were looking forward to trying.

What ya'll got planned!?

I'm planning....to be out there. You have an idea of where I"m going. Though I may have access to an larger boat, so I might do Admiralty instead...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    I'm planning....to be out there. You have an idea of where I"m going. Though I may have access to an larger boat, so I might do Admiralty instead...

I'm working on the boat thing as well....An awesome oppurtunity came up for a turn-key boat....Just working out the details....Could be in the water this July

We're gonna go out tomorrow evening and scout some areas....Try to get a feel for what kind of year its gonna be...

Reports I've heard have been good, with this year having more deer then the last several by far.

I'll be going for sure. It'll be my tune up for a Chugach sheep hunt later in August.

Scouting? Never done it for August deer. Just go to one of my honey holes and be above treeline before 6 am.

East side of Admiralty near town is still recovering. I think Douglas survived better than most areas.

Normally we wouldn't scout either, but were trying some new areas this year, and it'd be nice to know where the deer are hanging before we make the trudge up!

Usually I am getting really excited by now but last year I made it up to one of my honey holes, that had been covered with snow for the last few years. I almost never saw sign of other people up there for years, last year I counted 5 tarps, a pair of jeans, and piles of garbage. One group camped right on top where I always used to see deer and looked like they had a bonfire. Well so much for that spot. I might have to try a little south this year.

The deer I have seen this year look great. Lots of twins, even saw one set of triplets and they looked fat over a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    Usually I am getting really excited by now but last year I made it up to one of my honey holes, that had been covered with snow for the last few years. I almost never saw sign of other people up there for years, last year I counted 5 tarps, a pair of jeans, and piles of garbage. One group camped right on top where I always used to see deer and looked like they had a bonfire. Well so much for that spot. I might have to try a little south this year.

The deer I have seen this year look great. Lots of twins, even saw one set of triplets and they looked fat over a month ago.
    I've seen A LOT of bucks this spring, also saw over 21 deer one day on Douglas just driving the road in the early early morning...

As far as honey holes go - Looks like we're all running into the same problem. I don't have access to a boat quite yet, so I'm stuck with Douglas and the Mainland. The trick is finding a spot that doesn't get POUNDED...

I'll be up top a good deal this Aug looking for bucks. Not worried about running into anybody or crowds.

Not worried about running into anybody or crowds.
    Nither did I for a long time.

Good luck.

I ran into a sleeping bag last year. Pretty surprising actually. Never did see the owner of that bag. I bet it's still up there.

Yup there defn should be some people out this year in the Juneau area on the opener. I'm planning on taking the first five days of the season off to poke around to check out a couple of spots. I'm praying for no fog!

Default :)

I'm getting stoked too. I think I'll run over to do a little king fishing/spotting scoping, to pick one out (a mountain that is) in the next few weeks. Little bit nervous about setting the pick and leaving my boat over night.
    Alpine is awesome...

Default Goats

I'll be after a toad goat for the first week of August. I'm going in preseason and setting up the Swaro. If I can't find the right goat I'll shift gears towards deer.

We went out for an evening hike on Douglas tonight....Saw 4 deer, two bucks, one which was a toad, and 2 does...

Weather was nice, and there wasn't a whole lot of snow...Managed to score some decent pictures...

...and a few more...

Great Pictures, looks like some beautiful country you will be hunting. Good luck.

Beau .... take allot of line and tie off the bow and the stern .... but it is always a worry, leaving a boat ... unless it's a skiff and you haul it out. Even then it's a relief when you see it again after several days.

Also remeber we still can't hunt POW proper. Even though the Deer herd is at possibly an alltime high (in recent history) ... even though there was much testimony (even proven by biologists in many recent studies) at the Subsistence meeting to that fact. But many hunters from POW still said that they need the extra advantage because "they are still having trouble meeting their NEEDS" !!!!!!

POW hunters can't seem to get 5 Deer (one can be a Doe) in 5+ months ..... meanwhile some Off-Island hunters come out there and fill up a pick-up in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    But many hunters from POW still said that they need the extra advantage because "they are still having trouble meeting their NEEDS" !!!!!!

POW hunters can't seem to get 5 Deer (one can be a Doe) in 5+ months ..... meanwhile some Off-Island hunters come out there and fill up a pick-up in a few days.

Hey, it's hard to road hunt up 5 deer in 5 months!

Default true subsistence

Yes .... a true subsistence hunter ... driving on a road that has been built at about $250 k per mile / in a $30 k pick up / using a $1+k rifle / sometimes shooting from the drivers / passengers seat / killing every Deer they get a shot at (including fawns) .... and they testify that their need are not being met (with cheers from the crowd at the RAC meeting) ... meanwhile muttering something under their breath about all those Ketchikan hunters coming over and killing all "our" Deer / most getting off the Ferry late one evening and getting back on the Ferry the next morning with a truck load of Deer. (the crowd cheers again)

But looking at the police blog shows that 98% of the night hunting / spot lighting busts are POW residents.

Oh .... I forgot some subsistence hunters testified that hunting from Hydaburg to Lab Bay and back EVERY NIGHT was Customary and Traditional ... which also brought cheers from the subsistence audience. As USFS personnel quickly jot down notes ... what did he say? "pit lighting" ... that surely must be C&T !!!!!

Default Great photos

Those are some high quality photos and truly inspirational. The time we get to spend on top is really special. You got me looking forward to it even more.

How were the bugs?

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast