Thread: Wooldridge ak II owners question

Default Wooldridge ak II owners question

I have a 20' Ak 2 w/ Suzuki df 140 jet. I have to maintain approx 4000 or more rpm to stay on step w/ one other person on the boat and very light gear. Is this normal? Boat/ motor is brand new with no damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Valaska View Post
    I have a 20' Ak 2 w/ Suzuki df 140 jet. I have to maintain approx 4000 or more rpm to stay on step w/ one other person on the boat and very light gear. Is this normal? Boat/ motor is brand new with no damage.
    I am honestly not sure but you may benefit from the stainless impeller if you haven't already upgraded.

Default Impeller

Forgot to add that it came with a ss impeller. It may be totally normal as I am new to jet boats, but it takes 4000 rpm to stay on step and it maxes out at 5500 rpm. Seems like a tight throttle range. I'm glad I didn't decide to go with the 115 motor or I'd probably barely get on step.

I think its pretty normal to have a tight range to work with, my 17' Sport with a 115 is happiest cruising with a moderate load at 4200-4600 with max at 5200.
    Having said that, while that DF140 is a fantstic motor, maybe its a bit small for your 20'? I see most of those rigs with 150-175 ETECS on them.
    Check your shims?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

You are doing good to stay on step at 4K, I have the 140 Johnson, (same motor0 and I need 4200- 4400 to stay up, my boat is a 60" bottom, I think the AKII is 68". I am sure that width makes a difference.

My 60" wide Extra+ wolly 17' needs at least 4200RM to stay on step, more like 4300ish and I top out at 5500rpm with my 130HP Yamaha 4 blade SS impeller. Not used to that small powerband yet. But getting there.)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPaladin View Post
    My 60" wide Extra+ wolly 17' needs at least 4200RM to stay on step, more like 4300ish and I top out at 5500rpm with my 130HP Yamaha 4 blade SS impeller. Not used to that small powerband yet. But getting there.)
    What kind of loads are you safely getting away with and still managing shallow water?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Was doing 5 people, 4 adults roughly 200ish+ each, and 1 90lb little girl. Few tackle boxes and rods and some food and drinks in a cooler. Most of the weight was in the very center of the boat.

Default WOW!!

I guess I am the exception. I got the 20' sport with the 150 opti with a 7 5/8 pump, 5000+ is my max rpm, and it does take a bit to get on step, but heck I can power down all the way to 3500 rpm moderately loaded, but she cruises really well at 3800 rpm with full fuel and 5 adults for a day of fishing. We're doing about 28-30 mph on flat water with about a 8gal/hr fuel burn. At 4200 I am doing maybe 36-38 but fuel burn is around 12 gal/hr. Now your making me doubt my numbers. Next time I am out I will have to make sure I am not blowing smoke.
    I just had some work done on the motor, and put a new ss impeller and sleeve in and check the shimms, and set them tight. I KNOW I got right at 5000 rpm at WOT and with full fuel and 4 adults got 44-46 mph and fuel burn was at 15 gal/hr. But I didn't tryto see what she would come off step at. I'll check that next time. My memory is saying 2800 she fell off, but now you got me wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    I guess I am the exception. I got the 20' sport with the 150 opti with a 7 5/8 pump, 5000+ is my max rpm, and it does take a bit to get on step, but heck I can power down all the way to 3500 rpm moderately loaded, but she cruises really well at 3800 rpm with full fuel and 5 adults for a day of fishing. We're doing about 28-30 mph on flat water with about a 8gal/hr fuel burn. At 4200 I am doing maybe 36-38 but fuel burn is around 12 gal/hr. Now your making me doubt my numbers. Next time I am out I will have to make sure I am not blowing smoke.
    I just had some work done on the motor, and put a new ss impeller and sleeve in and check the shimms, and set them tight. I KNOW I got right at 5000 rpm at WOT and with full fuel and 4 adults got 44-46 mph and fuel burn was at 15 gal/hr. But I didn't tryto see what she would come off step at. I'll check that next time. My memory is saying 2800 she fell off, but now you got me wondering.
    TBLOOMA, thats some good numbers! 44-46 MPH is stroking right along with a OB jet pump.....!

My top speed on my boat is 33-34 topped at 5500rpm on the lake. At least according to my in-dash speedo.