Thread: Hunting info for Non-Res around Nome/White Mountain?

Default Hunting info for Non-Res around Nome/White Mountain?

My step brother and his family have moved to White Mountain, Ak. I was wondering on the type of game that might be in that area. He has a plane but it isn't a bush plain so we would need a landing strip if he was to fly me anywhere. What would be the best times to be up there? Caribou and Moose are my first thought's. Thanks for the info. in advance. Your newest member, highside74.

White Mt. area is closed to Non res for moose. Fly over to Nome and you can hunt around there.
    Not much for bou around there until winter.
    I assume your step bro is a teacher? Fly to another village and hit up his teacher buddies for rides to places to hunt.
    Boats and 4 wheelers are better around there than planes.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

He is their new Doc. Thanks for the info. I will not be able to get up there until sometime next year probably so i am just on a fact finding mission. Where is the best place from there to hunt Caribou? i.e. What towns? What kind of game is around there? When you say bou in the area during the winter do you mean 10 degrees?

Don't know how that happened. I wrote a response and it posted my original question, sorry.

He is there new physician.

What is the best time to be up there for Caribou? What is the weather like at that time? How are the Caribou numbers in that area? What else is available and how far would I have to go to find it? I'm sure he would be able to fly me to another village. How far away is Moose country available to non-res. hunters? Thanks Again, highside

Had the thread in a mode that I wasn't familiar with. Now I see all my post's.

Really I am not an idiot, I sware.

Caribou around Wh. Mt. is a winter activity. Cold and snow. Have to go about 50 miles to find any. Some years they have come closer. Last winter hardly any.
    You might be able to go to Serpentine Hot springs in his plane. You could hunt bou there in the fall.
    What kind of plane does he have? Is he new to Alaska?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

He was in Unalakleet for a bit until they couldn't cover his expence then he went to Texas for a couple years. He felt god was calling them back to Alaska so there they are.

His plane is an older Cessna 172 tail dragger with normal landing gear. No bush tires. I'm gonna work on him to get different landing gear so he can drop me in the middle of nowhere. With zero back country experience I should be Griz food in no time.

How far is the Hot Springs area? I'm sure the locals will be able to help me out but I have never been very patient when it comes to new exciting stuff. We have a great web forum just like this in Washington State where the guy's share all sort's of great info and stories. This place seems to be just like that. Thanks very much.