Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Local Help and Advise

Default Little Local Help and Advise

About 15 years ago started flying lessons got 10 hours in and did my first solo.(152)
    Due to kids and life had to stop.
    Now up here in AK with the MT home on the market, am ready to restart and get my license.
    Questions,
    Can I use my old logged flying time toward my new schooling? Also when the house sells here shortly will be buying a Maule and am wondering since it will be a tail dragger with more HP should I try and train in one also.
    How do the ratings work? If I train in say a 150 or 152 Cessna, how much more of a rating or time will I need to spend if I get say get an M4 220.
    Will I be limited in just flying in the same horsepower class? or trike gear?
    I am here in Anchorage now but will be moving to Palmer/Wasilla area next month. Where do you guy's recommend I get my flight traning from?
    Anchorage or Palmer? Anyone to stay away from? (PM on this one)
    Will be doing this kind of quick and would like to be flying by this summer and am starting a King Course next week.
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Default 2 cents

If you have the time logged from years back it counts. As far as training in a 152 to a maule you need a tailwheel endorsement. So, the smart way to do it is just wait till the maule shows up and do all your flying (training) in it. You will save money and get experience in the A/C you intend to fly anyway and get the tailwheel endorsement in the process.

you will also need a high performance endorsement because the m4 220 is above 200 hp. I think.

I'm pretty sure you need endorsements for both high performance and tailwheel. You can credit all the hours you have toward your certificate, there's no expiration on experience.

I would have no qualms about starting out your training in the Maule. The military has trained many thousands of pilots from scratch in airplanes with more horsepower than that.

Good luck and welcome to Alaska!...Louis

Train in the plane your going to buy. You will earn your tailwheel and high performace endorsments and flying a taildragger is just plain fun. Note that you will need your log book from your past flights for them to count. No logbook= no hours. The best flight schools are in ANC. Have fun and fly safe and often.

Default instructor

Try Walt Warner. Don't have a number but he lives close to the Willow airport and has an Maule M5. Used him years ago in my M4 and was great. Had my check ride with Herb Hubbard at Merrill. Don't know if he's still flying though. Pretty old but a great pilot.

I had Herb Hubbard for my CFI instruction a number of years ago and also highly recommend him. I got a message a while back from someone on this list that Herb had planned to leave the State this spring but you should look him up anyway. It's been my experience that most people who plan to leave either don't, or return to AK in short order....Louis

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by Tigermusky View Post
    you will also need a high performance endorsement because the m4 220 is above 200 hp. I think.
    To show you how dumb I really am, I have to ask: who requires these endorsements? The flight school? Insurance carriers?

My poor ol' Commercial Land and Sea, with Instrument Privileges, carries neither of those endorsements.

Anyone help me out with this one?

A tailwheel endorsement is required by the FAA, as is a high performance endorsement. I don't recall the dates these rules were implemented, but it was before I got my certificate. I have both endorsements in my log book. I believe the high performance endorsement is required for a constant-speed prop as well as >200hp.

Default high perf. complex, and tailwheel endorsements..

I got my high perf. in 84 in a 206. I think it was a fairly new requirement at the time, and I remember wishing it was a 210 so I could get my complex endorsement at the same time. (all of controllable pitch prop, movable flaps, and retractable gear). If you have a Maule with greater than 200 hp, you can get your tailwheel endorsement and high perf. basically at the same time. I have given a lot of complex endorsements in a 177RG, but it didnt count as high performance because that aircraft had 200 hp.

Default Grizzly,

I think you are exempt from those endorsements because of prior experience in type. The feds apparently felt the need to classify by performance and complexity sometime in the early 80's. noone I know who received certificates or ratings in the 70's or earlier has them that I know of.

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by cubpilot View Post
    I think you are exempt from those endorsements because of prior experience in type. The feds apparently felt the need to classify by performance and complexity sometime in the early 80's. noone I know who received certificates or ratings in the 70's or earlier has them that I know of.

Thanks!

My tickets and ratings go back into the mid-fifties and sixties. Guess I'm just older than dirt. Still flyin', though ............................

Default Thanks

Thanks fellows for the info.
    I am going to go ahead and get my license in a rental. Checking into things I see that going with an older Maule with over 200 Hp I will need a tailwheel and High Performance endorsment.
    I will most likely train at Merrill. When I get my plane will go for the 2 endorsements and then up to Talkeetna for Float and mountain stuff. I have been told to stay away from Hood as it is a zoo and up Talkeetna way is amazing flying.
    Thanks again.

Having been based at Lake Hood for a long time I'd argue that Merrill is a zoo with ground control and constant touch and go traffic. You might check with Arctic Flyers and train in a T-Craft at Hood. I like gravel better than pavement. Your tailwheel training would be out of the way, anyway.

Hood has designated airspace corridors to enter and leave but so does Merrill. Both are restricted by adjoining airspaces. If you want to leave without talking to departure control you can go to 1200' off of Hood to cross the inlet. Merrill airspace tops at 600' unless you talk to departure. I reckon most students want flight following so that's probably not a big issue either way. You can climb to 2K with a squalk code and go across with radar from either place. I'd suggest you should get some time at both. Your instructor will most likely take you in and out of both regardless of where you settle in. You should ask for a run in and out of International as well.

Red face Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Having been based at Lake Hood for a long time I'd argue that Merrill is a zoo with ground control and constant touch and go traffic. You might check with Arctic Flyers and train in a T-Craft at Hood. I like gravel better than pavement. Your tailwheel training would be out of the way, anyway.

Hood has designated airspace corridors to enter and leave but so does Merrill. Both are restricted by adjoining airspaces. If you want to leave without talking to departure control you can go to 1200' off of Hood to cross the inlet. Merrill airspace tops at 600' unless you talk to departure. I reckon most students want flight following so that's probably not a big issue either way. You can climb to 2K with a squalk code and go across with radar from either place. I'd suggest you should get some time at both. Your instructor will most likely take you in and out of both regardless of where you settle in. You should ask for a run in and out of International as well.
    Used to be that, whether Merrill, Hood or International, crossings to and from McKenzie were to be below 500' or above 2000'. This on account of Elmendorf AFB traffic. Has that changed?

Hood is 700'-1200' or above 2000'. Elmendorf traffic crosses our corridor at 1400'-1700', descending through Merrill's space. When I use International they'll usually send me off 32 and have me sidestep into Hood's segment so I don't pay attention to what resrtictions they have off the big runway.

Assuming you're crossing without departure control, and assuming there's an AWACS, KC-135, C5-A, or a flight of F-15s crossing perpendicular to your path at 1500', while my ceiling may be 1200', I'm heading for 700. Merrill traffic crosses diagonally under that traffic. With the 600' ceiling, I'd elect to go high or spend a few minutes going around in circles to avoid the wake turbulence. But once across, if the heavies into Int'l are landing 14, we go under them as well.

It isn't at all unusual for me to be mid-channel outbound and have a Spernak 207 below me crossing, military traffic above me crossing, and a heavy 747 a half mile beside me on a parallel course. And I'm probably being called to watch for opposite direction traffic altitude unknown. Ain't Anchorage airspace fun?

Default formerly montana bob,

It's a beautiful thing learning to fly in your own airplane. It would be very beneficial to develope your first "reflexes" as it were, in your own bird, rather than something you may never fly again. First learned is last forgotten. Having said that, there is convenience in learning in a busy and central airport like Merrill field, and you get to abuse someone elses airplane while you take your babysteps. It would be great though if you could find someone to solo you in your Maule!

Default Anchorage airspace..

might just be the most unique class C airspace in the country. I know a lot of pilots are really intimidated by the corridors with their various crossing restrictions, speed restrictions, and pattern alititudes, but the reality is that as long as you keep your eyes and ears open and have a good UNDERSTANDING of what's going on around you, its a piece of cake. The Anchorage controllers are very helpful and treat general avation pilots better than I've seen anywhere else in the country...most of them are pilots too!

Default HUH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Assuming you're crossing without departure control, and assuming there's an AWACS, KC-135, C5-A, or a flight of F-15s crossing perpendicular to your path at 1500', while my ceiling may be 1200', I'm heading for 700. Merrill traffic crosses diagonally under that traffic. With the 600' ceiling, I'd elect to go high or spend a few minutes going around in circles to avoid the wake turbulence. But once across, if the heavies into Int'l are landing 14, we go under them as well.

It isn't at all unusual for me to be mid-channel outbound and have a Spernak 207 below me crossing, military traffic above me crossing, and a heavy 747 a half mile beside me on a parallel course. And I'm probably being called to watch for opposite direction traffic altitude unknown. Ain't Anchorage airspace fun?
    Think I'll walk. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast