Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How is Everyone's Hunt Prep Going?

Default How is Everyone's Hunt Prep Going?

Just over a month until the early sheep hunters hit the field, and then before you know it, time for moose and caribou! Is your hunt preparation going as planned? Let's hear what you're chasing, what you've done to prepare so far, and what you still need to do...maybe it will help the time go faster...

For me, today is exactly two months before my flight into Anchorage! After a couple of days visiting family, checking my rifle, and stocking up on groceries and other supplies, my hunt partner and I will be off to Tok for a caribou hunt with 40 Mile Air. Maybe get a black bear or wolf in the bargain. My prep is on schedule, have almost all of the gear in hand, will pick up propane canisters and sat phone when I hit Anchorage. Have been riding my road bicycle 20-25 miles 3-4 times a week, so my legs are in pretty good shape; now just need a few more range sessions with the .338, and a few small tweaks to the menu, and I'm all set.

Good luck to all this Fall, best wishes for safe travels, decent weather, and opportunities to harvest the species you're after.

Default Getting ready for Sheep 2010!

I'm gonna be able to squeeze in one more sheep hunt before I turn 50 this August!!

I've been hiking, biking and squating and breaking in new boots. I feel on track. Been working up a 200gr load for the 325 since I finally shot up all my factory 200gr loads. Sent some over the chrony yesterday. I'm pretty well set for gear unless I want to trade 3-400 bucks for about a 2 lb lighter pack. The wifey and I did buy a SPOT so that will be cool this year to have a comm link. Of course there are a few little things to pick up but I'm good to go. The exciting thing this year is it looks like we've got a ride in a 185 into the Brooks, Whites or AK Range. It will my first fly in hunt. I've been on 5 walkin sheep hunts. 3 of them were major 10-12days 30-50+ miles. I got a few guys riled up in another thread when I started asking for info about a Brooks Range fly-in and a 185. Oh well. They can hash it out.

My planning is right on schedule, alittle stressful at first because I had several trips planned to begin with then I found out I drew a sheep tag. I contenplated canceling one but I figured to hell with it and started planning them all. I had a successful black bear hunt in May, a salmon shark fishing trip out of Cordova in July, Delta sheep hunt in August, a float trip out of Kotzebue in September for moose, caribou & grizzly, and last a goat hunt here in Kodiak the first week in October. I sat down at the computer for a good week and made a checklist for each hunt and have been slowly checking stuff off and adding more items ever since. I started my planning last September so now the excitement is really building since hunting season is just around the corner. Good luck to all on your outdoor adventures this season!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I got a few guys riled up in another thread when I started asking for info about a Brooks Range fly-in and a 185. Oh well. They can hash it out.
    Don't pat yourself on the back, Perry. You got more guys riled up years ago over the moose quarter in dumpster thread.
    Plenty of good info on your sheep thread now.

Michael.............no self respecting Unalaklikmuit would use a cannon like that 338 for bou!! Haha! You should visit the relatives in the village some fall. Pretty good fishing. Have Hagelands drop you over at Kalakaket Creek for a mid sept. Moose hunt.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Gave the trail the the alpine a hair cut last weekend and put in a few lines in the steep spots. Going to head up the second weekend in July and pack some stuff up high cache it, and set up the trail cam. Whenever we get some good weather after 8/1 its back up to put the hurt to the goats and retrieve the trail cam.

Well, I'm 65 days away from pulling out of the driveway, on a 3300 mile drive to Tok, and then a fly-out with 40-Mile. Started walking/jogging 2 miles each morning on the 1st of March. On June 1st I switched to using a 40lb. pack on my back. When I finnish my 2 miles each morning, I sit down and do as many sit-up crunches I can and a few other calisinics. I'll be 50 in August, and I'm in better shape than I was at 30, and I feel great. My son and I have started weighing, packing, weighing, and repacking our bags over and over, trying to get down to the 50lb. max gear weight. Oh boy, this is going to be fun! We've been shooting the rifles a lot, and trying different loads. I'm going with the 150gr Berger's in the .270, and 185gr in the 30.06. Hope everyone else is enjoying getting prepared and looking forward to their adventure as much as I am. Knute

On trimming down the excess gear, I hear ya Knute. It's amazing on the size of the pile of gear that doesnt make the final cut. I believe a guy either takes to much or to little, never "just right". How you sheep guys get down to 50 pounds is beyond me. This is about the time of year where it starts to get exciting looking forward to the hunt. Just 2 months ago nobody knew if they were going to lift a tag in the draw, and in 2 more months we'll be hunting that tag. Btw, has anyone recieved their draw permit in the mail? I have not.

My prep consists of waiting for the right bear to wander into the yard; I don't like to work harder than I have to .
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Default Roller Coaster Ride!

Well, my trip this fall would take a book to describe the challenges!
    Started planning a moose hunt in 2007 - booked and sent deposit in 08 to a Ontario outfitter. Thought about AK but was starting to have some health issues and feared the logistics involved.
    Wrote $2000 check to outfitter - they cashed in Dec - closed doors for good in Jan! Old owner of 27 years took bus back over and said he would honor my "lost" money - wow! Hunt was for Oct of 09 - health getting worse - Drs suspected MS - got hernia in Aug - had surgery - Outfiter called and said he was having some legal issues could I postone till Oct 2010? OK
    Changed Drs - found out I had B12 deficiency - can be fatal - can cause permanent neuro dmg - shots are helping ALOT and finally getting healthy enuff to work out again! At 53 it is harder but up to 117 miles on my road bike in June, lots of stair climbing. Anyway, things are looking better and the "dream" is still alive.
    Got my MarlinXLR 4570 all tricked out, I got my moose calling down to a science!
    Having loads of fun with my son and friend that are also going - $20 bet on first moose down - you can imagine the teasing.
    Trip to AK still the ultimate - we'll see how the health issue's go.... You lucky ones don't know how much you have helped bring a little sunshine on many cloudy days by letting me read and view your hunts!
    Thank you for that...
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

My 2010 AK hunting season has been canceled.... 1 DCUA walk in and 1 Kenai bou tag out the window, gonna hang out in the sand box instead. Sadly no re-issue for contractors (not that there should be) so gonna eat em. Makes me sick! The wife and kids have moved down to Bama for the next year so she can attend school. Perhaps when I do get back there will be a chance to chase whitetail and hogs around, pretty poor consolation prize but I will take what I can get.

Jon, if you'll go ahead and injure yourself to 70% disabled, I could proxy that caribou tag for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Jon, if you'll go ahead and injure yourself to 70% disabled, I could proxy that caribou tag for you.
    What a fantastically inappropriate thing to say to a guy in a war zone! I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Perhaps a majority of Forum members could "sign off" on Jon's mental condition as being 70% - why anybody with common sense knows its Crazy to face guys shooting at you vs being ate by a griz????

Good Luck Jon - stay safe and get home to that family asap...
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

PREP? that would take into account that i put it all away to begin with... the end of each trip just seems to lead into the next at the moment...

got some good in the rain scouting done this last weekend moving equipment. to the claim... yup!...moose and bears still there.

with this summers trips going as planned i should be able to transition straight from fishing and camping to adding my rifle and bow to the luggage
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    What a fantastically inappropriate thing to say to a guy in a war zone! I love it!
    Well, I was thinking more along the lines of tripping over a power cord and breaking a few bones.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Michael.............no self respecting Unalaklikmuit would use a cannon like that 338 for bou!! Haha! You should visit the relatives in the village some fall. Pretty good fishing. Have Hagelands drop you over at Kalakaket Creek for a mid sept. Moose hunt.
    Mike - I can't even use a .30-06 anymore where I hunt deer in Maryland, restricted to muzzleloader or shotgun with slugs...so Alaska is my one chance to use a real boomstick! I love shootin my .338, and it's not much heavier than my .06, so it's been my rifle of choice ever since I got it.

CGSwimmer - I'm jealous, you've got your time planned out right to be able to do all those hunts in one fall!

Default Planning

When your cheap (and I am) planning requires about 300 days advanced notice so I can get a "free" airline ticket. Also Wyoming where I hunt mule deer and pronghorns is all a draw so my applications have been in since last February.

I am constantly amazed at the complaints from Alaskan residents who can hunt non-draw areas for at least some game.

So, what is the plan? Off to northern Quebec with my son (who will be 50 in July) for some caribou. It will be just 20 years since we did our first caribou hunt together - in northern Quebec. Then to Wyoming for mule deer & pronghorns. One guy who went out last year will be there again and another who I'm taking for his first western hunt is already talking about driving next year. Then it will be turkey time, whitetails in NY & PA and by then, the fall will be over. Off to Texas in late February and some spring turkey in May - and then - start over. Live is good!!!!!

My best wishes to everyone who spends time outdoors - where ever that may be.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    My planning is right on schedule, alittle stressful at first because I had several trips planned to begin with then I found out I drew a sheep tag. I contenplated canceling one but I figured to hell with it and started planning them all. I had a successful black bear hunt in May, a salmon shark fishing trip out of Cordova in July, Delta sheep hunt in August, a float trip out of Kotzebue in September for moose, caribou & grizzly, and last a goat hunt here in Kodiak the first week in October. I sat down at the computer for a good week and made a checklist for each hunt and have been slowly checking stuff off and adding more items ever since. I started my planning last September so now the excitement is really building since hunting season is just around the corner. Good luck to all on your outdoor adventures this season!!
    Well, your a swimmer, So You must be spending all that bonus money in taxidermy bills.........................

Default hunt trip planning

I believe I am prepping well. Deployment schedules got shifted and allowed for me to come back up in early September. I am heading up the haul road again to rifle/bow hunt caribou. I am waking up before work and hiking 3-6 miles with a weighted pack.My hiking distance and weight increase weekly. I would like to be up to about a 10-15 miles hike atleast once a week with several 5-9 mile hikes in between. I am shooting my bow atleast once a day, and doing lunges, squats, push ups, and sit ups 3 times a week. Here pretty soon I am going to start sprinting 100 yards and shooting my bow while I am tired. This years hunt will be intersting. This will be my first time hunting Alaska from the lower 48. So far the prep has made me see just how good I had it when I was living up there. On the plus side, I never did prepare as good as I am now living in the lower 48.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

The overall picture is starting to take form. Our first hunt up is 'Bou in 14B and we have the charter and maps, equipment already staged for the 1-4 of Sept. Then we roll right into our Moose hunt from the 7-11 Sept, looking forward to that one since it's right infront of my house and we have done lots of hiking and aerial scouting already, after the moose hunt I head far West with my father to Brown hunt for 16 days and home on the 26 of Sept. After that I'm on break for a whole 5 days before the wife and I head to Kodiak for her goat hunt. One thing is for sure, I've never been one of the guys that gotta have the "coolest" gadgets but I have to admit I often find myself buying crap that "might" make our hunts a little more successfull and it's ALL starting to add up...Hope everyone else's hunts are startin to take form as well and best a luck to all...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast