Thread: Camping at Sheep or Caswell

Default Camping at Sheep or Caswell

I could swear that the last time I went to these two creeks (highway access), there were state campgrounds there. Am I out of my mind? I could not find them on the dnr site.

AK Chappy

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Chappy View Post
    I could swear that the last time I went to these two creeks (highway access), there were state campgrounds there. Am I out of my mind? I could not find them on the dnr site.

AK Chappy
    There are public camp sites at each creek mouth. Since the state doesn't have its greedy little mitts in it, you won't see them on their sites- yes, camping is FREE there!

Sheep creek has a free camp ground down by the mouth. Right after you cross the kashwitna river, look for a sign that says "sheep creek slough 500 ft." turn left and follow the gravel road till you run into the camp ground.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

the road to sheep creek slough/mouth is called Resolute Road. Follow it to the end........for Caswell Mouth, big concrete deal that says "Susitna Shores", turn there, follow that road down and youll end up at Caswell campground....

Release Lake Trout

Thanks,
    I am glad to hear I am not as crazy as I thought. What about towing a 26' camper into them? Doable? I bet they are gonna be packed next weekend, won't they?

AK Chappy

caswell is tight but it can be done, the road back there gets pretty rugged after a rain like today....sheep creek CG is big.....lots of spaces. easy to get a camper into.....it was packed this weekend, but caswell only had 1 camper and 2 trucks.....

Release Lake Trout

You could get one in sheep creek. Seen a bunch of people in there with 'em before. Don't know about caswell, never been there. There will be people there, that's for sure. How many? Don't know, just have to try it
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Cool,
    Thanks for the information. If you are going to be up there too PM me and maybe we can meet up and share a beverage.

AK Chappy