Thread: Old 24' Bayliner Trophy Mods.

Default Old 24' Bayliner Trophy Mods.

I know this area doesn't get a lot of traffic but oh well. I have a 1986 Bayliner Trophy and I'm doing some minor mods to the boat. I'm a DIY kinda guy and thought you guys would like to see some stuff done to your boats that you can DIY without spending a ton of money...wait what am I saying? "Owning a boat and not spending a lot of money" don't go hand in hand. You guys would probably like to see a picture of the boat first. This was on this years spring bear hunt as of the end of May and my dad being a goof.

Mods and refurbs already done a few years back:
    -New inboard and outdrive
    -Radar
    -New GPS and Fish finder
    -Shrimp pot puller
    -Fuel flow meter

Recent mods and mods to be done:
    -New VHF radio
    -New CD player w/iPod dock & new speakers
    -Faceplate area for radios
    -DIY fiberglass top for the back
    -New counter top
    -New table top
    -New Freezer (if you have any suggestions let me know)
    -DIY suspension seat
    -Addition to shrimp pot puller to coil up rope
    -New Fish hold (due to the ice chest handles breaking and losing 9 out of our 24 silvers last fall)
    -Buff & polish
    -Other various small things

Default New Motor and Outdrive

Most spendy performance enhancement done to the boat to date and most likely will be for a long while. We took the old carbed 350 out and put in a new fuel injected Chevy 350 in it and put a duoprop outdrive in it as well. I get much better fuel consumption and a faster boat.

Fuel injected 350:

Duoprop outdrive:

Default Faceplate/Radios

I used oak to make the new faceplate for the radios, iPod dock, trim tabs, and cigarette lighters. It was my first time working with wood and man oh man when they say "hardwood" they really mean that the wood is hard. I used a router to router the edges which is'nt that expensive and the wood was bought at home depot and was pretty cheap. Out with the old, in with the new. The new VHF is a Standard Horizon, the new CD player is a Sony with the iPod adapter, then a new metal plate for the trim tabs, and some more cigarette lighters for charging phones and such.

Before:

Router:

Mock up:

Default Contd.

Paint to match the radio:

After:

Default cabin

Great job! I spent last summer in Seward working on a older 24' alum. cuddy cabin, let's see some pictures of the inside.

Default Cabin Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by txguide View Post
    Great job! I spent last summer in Seward working on a older 24' alum. cuddy cabin, let's see some pictures of the inside.
    Thanks txguide! Here are some pictures of the cabin as she sits now. I will be doing some organization mods to the boat since having a nice organized boat creates a less stressful time out on the water. I'm also fixing up that ugly counter area to update it to the 2000's. I might buy my mom an industrial sewing machine for Christmas and i'll nominate the seat covers to be her first project. A lot more to come but its summer time and I'd rather be fishing then working on the darn thing! I'll be doing a lot of the smaller things to it this summer and wait till the winter to tackle the big projects for it. Between my daughter, fishing, building my motorcycle, and work makes for little time to work on the boat.

Nice boat, I always liked the older trophys with longer rear decks. What kind of fuel economy and performance are you getting with the new power package?
    I noticed your rope spool, I made the same thing for a shrimp pot line. I made a bracket out of galvanized pipes that goes into the rod holder and has the spool hanging off it. The only problem, is it's too heavy, and hard on the rod holder. How do you set up your spool?

Nice job, I like seeing those DIY projects they are good for ideas.