Thread: Single shot Mini-14

Default Single shot Mini-14

Looking for a little help.

I just acquired a Mini 14 that will not shoot semi auto. I was not aware of a selector switch on these. Is there one? or is this weapon malfunctioning? If it is malfunctioning where would I start to look to rectify the problem.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Jdub

Default magazine spring?

Was the mag left loaded for a long time and compressed the spring, the old mags could loose their tension. All the Mini 14's I have will only shoot simi-auto. Unless I put a special trigger part in, then get the reloader out, it is full auto. I know of no selector switch.

Does the gun eject the fired round,if so its the feeding system and if not its gas ports or extractor slipping over case head as first things to look at
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default No Ejection

The action does not cycle automatically. When the shot is fired, the action moves back about 1/2", and then back forward.

look and make sure the gas tube and gas block are for a semi auto I seen a post on some mini's that were man'd for the U.K. and there was no gas systems built into these rifles. There called a B.A.O. (bolt action only)
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

You neglected to say if you bought this rifle from and individual or a store? If from a store return the rifle ans tell the store the problem or from and individual return for your money back. I would send the rifle out to a gunsmith that is familiar with the Mini- 14 for repair. The parts to make this rifle operate will be known to the gunsmith when he looks the rifle over and would save on parts that are needed. Save some time and trouble and have the rifle looked at by a competent gunsmith, you will be happy you did.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    You neglected to say if you bought this rifle from and individual or a store? If from a store return the rifle ans tell the store the problem or from and individual return for your money back. I would send the rifle out to a gunsmith that is familiar with the Mini- 14 for repair. The parts to make this rifle operate will be known to the gunsmith when he looks the rifle over and would save on parts that are needed. Save some time and trouble and have the rifle looked at by a competent gunsmith, you will be happy you did.
    If your going this route box it up and u.p.s. the receiver to Carl at A.S.I. Good guy and exelent work
    http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.co...ccessories.php
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

If the gas block is defective in anyway it has to go back to Ruger. They wont sell them, not even to gunsmiths

Check my post over on the shooting forum in response to your question. Let me know how it works out for you.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."