Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hall Road Caribou

Question Hall Road Caribou

Anyone heard of anything going on up North?

Nothing is open until Thursday. I might be there to see if I can get one or two early.

Tried the last couple of nights. Ended up helping out a broken down motorcycle all night the first night. Tonight I should have had one, but a white truck with a couple hunters blew my chance. I had a nice bull dead to rights at 40 yards and just about to draw back. They all picked up their heads, looked towards the road and bolted. I was working the river bank and climbed up to see this hunter walking the flat open tundra right towards the herd. I talked to the driver and he just said, "that's tough man." Kinda sucks when you use a pull off half a mile away to get off the road and actually get out there to put on a stalk just to get messed up by guys driving back and forth waiting for the herd to get close, and when they don't they just walk straight at them. I guess it works for them. He said they got a couple out of that herd earlier, and took a couple the night before, so there is some success up there.

Caribou are up north within 15 miles of Prudhoe and headed north. Seen some pretty good numbers, but wish I had a raft to get across the rivers to get into the better cover, more bou and away from the yahoo's. Won't be much longer and they will have moved through and be in the closed area.

Are their horns hardened up under the velvet at all yet?

I've stripped velvet off an early July bull before, and it was pretty rubbery and the ends are rounded out. If you are looking for harder horns, I would wait until August. The bull I almost got a shot on last night was decent size though. Double shovels, nic bez and 5 points on each side about 4-8" long on top. Still had a bit of growing to do, but he'll be a great bull come fall.

If you are antler hunting, I wouldn't bother coming up this time of year.

Ya I was just curious, I hadn't had any plans on coming up. I had planned on the end of august or first week of september at the latest. I want good meat but would like a crack at some decent antlers too.

They are usually pretty much fully developed by the 20th or so of August. Even mid August can be a safe bet, but the tips could still be a little soft and you'll have to take care when stripping the velvet.

When do they rub their velvet typically?

Generally the bigger bulls start the last couple days in August. By early to mid September you might see a few bulls with some velvet still in tact, but it will slip right off if you pull on it.

I drove from Coldfoot to PS3 and back on July 4th, mostly on a sightseeing trip with my fianceé, but I brought my bow along just in case. Didn't see a single caribou or bear. The weather was beautiful but the mosquitoes were pretty nasty, not the worst I've ever seen but worse than any of my other Haul Road trips, which were all in August or later.

The wildlife highlight of the trip was a lynx crossing the road near the Yukon. It sat there and stared at us for a couple minutes before running off.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Jerod,

Whats your slope schedule.....I'm not sure if I can swing it this month got a bunch of over time coming up after this weekend. I'm hoping to get up there in august fo sho. Have 10 days in sept off I'm trying to 'fill'. Was thinking moose, well thats the plan anyways, caribou is always a backup. If nothing else I'll bring up a brewhaha.....as long as you dont mind me drewling over some of your success pics .

I head home on the 10th of August and I think I'm back up around the 23rd until the 2nd or 3rd of September. I might be driving up on the 23rd if my alternate wants to drive south on the weekend of the 21-22nd. If he does that I might head up a day early and play around with the sheep around Atigun for a day or so.

I was hoping to bring the boat up this year, but I just don't see it happening. Going to have to try and get my fill on the highway this year. Let me know when you plan to head up.

Will do, I was going to bring the small inflatable up in case they are way north still. If you want I can break down the big raft along, it's easy to break down and load by myself. How long is the float from the last atigun bridge to slope mt? sheep AND caribou....did I say SHEEP lol.

cant say I'm in sheep shape though the drive of chasing sheep is enough to run my body to the ground. I plan on doing a little up there myself .

Keep me posted how your august is looking. After this weekend I'm screwed till then, ok ok, OT is a good thing haha.

Later man

Smile bou

there was a couple thousand bou runing arround between pump 1 and dead horse this morning. The hit town and it looked like they were heading back towards the Kapauk river. Quite a few good looking bulls, but far and few between, mainly cows and calfs

The weather turned from sunny and calm yesterday to cool, breezy and foggy today. The caribou headed south in large numbers. Thousands headed south east along the Sag. A couple hunters got some by floating over and getting in the middle of them. They said they could have taken several more, but only took two nice bulls. I worked with a father and son couple from Nevada to try and get them on a few just south of the closed area, but the stalk didn't work out. If they keep up this pace, I wouldn't doubt that they would be littering the Ivishak in a day or two. A few nice bulls by the airstrip in Deadhorse weren't spooky at all. The ones in the hunting zone were paranoid and bolting off from 300 yards away.

Here today, gone tomorrow, they are moving through in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Will do, I was going to bring the small inflatable up in case they are way north still. If you want I can break down the big raft along, it's easy to break down and load by myself. How long is the float from the last atigun bridge to slope mt? sheep AND caribou....did I say SHEEP lol.

cant say I'm in sheep shape though the drive of chasing sheep is enough to run my body to the ground. I plan on doing a little up there myself .

Keep me posted how your august is looking. After this weekend I'm screwed till then, ok ok, OT is a good thing haha.

Later man
    Right now I'm pretty sure I'll be driving up on the 22nd, and I'll probably overnight it, but I'll have to get up to work since the shop will be closed over the weekend. I could ask a couple guys who have floated that section before regarding the length of time it takes. That sounds like a fun trip, even if it is a quick one. I'd love to see that stretch.

I've worked myself into a lot better shape over the last year, so I think I'm sheep ready for the most part. After that Kodiak goat hunt kicked my arse, I realized I needed to step it up.

this hole fall is going to kick mine shew!

After tomorrow I work pretty much straight through till aug 1. I thought I had a couple 24hr shifts, didnt quite work that way (shew). But I only have 12 hours, not quite enough time to run north LOL!

August I go to a fill in shift so to be perfectly honest I dont have a clue what my schedule for the month is going to end up being. I'll let you know when I get closer. I WILL make it up on my weekends once or twice. I have 3 and 4 day weekends every week now alternating 3 off one week 4 off the next (unless we're doing ot like we are now still).

I dont think that's a real short float from the atigun down...I do know it's not for the faint of heart. I've heard of the gorge and seeing a portion of it, hiked in to take a look see at things. I've heard there is some pretty ugly water in the sag between there and slope mt camp also. You dont see many people doing it for a reason LOL! I dont think we'd have issues though, 2 guys going in light the cataraft handles like a sports car. We were able to row upstream with the wind helping a tad today...ok it was crazy windy out, all the way upstream back to the truck, talk about odd!

The trip from the last bridge on the atigun to the slope mtn camp took us 9.5 hours a week ago (fourth of July weekend). Low water on the atigun and super high water on the sag made a fast trip. Did the same thing last year it took something like 13.5 hours- high dangerous water in the atigun and low dangerous water in the sag. Some sick class 4s near the end of the Atigun and 10 miles of class 3 on the lower end of the sag with boulder fields everywhere. Quite scarry if you're not expecting it. We go for the whitewater adventure of it. The actual trip length is about 36 miles. It seems that the lower water on the atigun made the class 4 rapids smaller... or I just remembered EXACTLY where they were this year and avoided them. Then the high water on the Sag covered most of the boulders and made the rapids smaller for the most part. Would not recommend this trip to anyone without experience.

Thanks for the reply sam!!! Exactly what I needed to know. Now I hope I can find the time to do it lol.

Parts of the sag in august get rather braided... You will have to pick wisely which braid you take or there will be a lot of grunt work involved in your trip. I saw some guys doing it last august in a whitewater raft... I did it in and iflatable canoe and had to pull the boat in a few places. Im not sure how they fared as we passed them and kept going. There are lots of boulders just under the surface that will reach out and grab you if you know what I mean. I capsized twice do to the hidded boulders. Both times ive done it Ive made it a 2 day trip though sometime I just want to be able to take my time and get out and look around if you know what I mean.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast