Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kanektok Guides vs Locals

Default Kanektok Guides vs Locals

There is a situation brewing out here on the Kanektok River, wanted folks to be aware of it. A guide service here on the river has been telling local folk that the Kanektok River is their river, and have even told local fishermen to move out of their way when they are trolling for kings and that the preferred spots on the river where locals subsistence fish are now their fishing spots. In my opinion this is very rude behavior and shows a total lack of respect for the host community and the people that live here.
    Have even heard of their guides casting flyline out to passing boats, just barely missing the passengers in the boat with their flyhooks. This IMO is not proper river etiquette and it is dangerous when guides intentionally try to hit boaters with their hooks. This type of immature behavior on the river is uncalled for and is dangerous. I would not ever in my life recommend this guide service to anyone especially when they condone this type of behavior from their guides.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    There is a situation brewing out here on the Kanektok River, wanted folks to be aware of it. A guide service here on the river has been telling local folk that the Kanektok River is their river, and have even told local fishermen to move out of their way when they are trolling for kings and that the preferred spots on the river where locals subsistence fish are now their fishing spots. In my opinion this is very rude behavior and shows a total lack of respect for the host community and the people that live here.
    Have even heard of their guides casting flyline out to passing boats, just barely missing the passengers in the boat with their flyhooks. This IMO is not proper river etiquette and it is dangerous when guides intentionally try to hit boaters with their hooks. This type of immature behavior on the river is uncalled for and is dangerous. I would not ever in my life recommend this guide service to anyone especially when they condone this type of behavior from their guides.
    Ouch, is this the tent lodge folks?

Well..... in Idaho it's illegal to interfere with lawful fishing. Not quite sure the elements are there for a criminal complaint...BUT it would certainly be deemed unethical behavior by the Idaho Outfitters and Guides License Board..... so....... if I personally saw this behavior on the K river, I'd get a hold of the wildlife troopers and bring it to THEIR attention. They MAY be interested. Two bits says that there is some regulation against this butt-head behavior.

L

couple calls to the troopers will take care of the guide problems.

Well..... in Idaho it's illegal to interfere with lawful fishing. Not quite sure the elements are there for a criminal complaint...BUT it would certainly be deemed unethical behavior by the Idaho Outfitters and Guides License Board..... so....... if I personally saw this behavior on the K river, I'd get a hold of the wildlife troopers and bring it to THEIR attention. They MAY be interested. Two bits says that there is some regulation against this butt-head behavior.

L

I'd be rolling film and then handing it over to the troopers. The locals should run those morons out of town.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post

L
    Guess what?This isn't Idaho!

haha......Idaho is full of treehuggers who harass sportsmen to no end....its like thier mission to ruin your day in the field...... i threw rocks at em (the harassers) spent lots of time down there, dont get me wrong there are alot of great opportunities,beautiful country and some of the people are great folks but, things down there are in no way similar to how its done up here!

Release Lake Trout

Default Alaska Sportfish Guide Ethics & Etiquette

Thanks guys for your feedback, believe the authorities have been notified and the local City Council and Tribal Council have also been informed by residents of what has been happening here on the river. This is an on-going problem and it has been building up over the years. Poor guide behavior such as this reflects back to the guiding community and gives the industry a bad name. I know there are sportfish guides out there on the river that really do understand that it is a real privilege to guide here and on other rivers around our great State. Proper river etiquette should be mandatory and IMO I think the State of Alaska should require that all folk who register as Sportfish Guides here in Alaska be required to read a pamphlet or handbook on sportfish guide ethics & etiquette in order to receive their sportfish guide license. Don't know if the State has one but if not there needs to be one written and be required reading for all sportfish guides registering here in Alaska.
    As for the name of the company that these guides work for I prefer to not name names since I do know that this forum has a far reaching audience.
    IMO Sportfish guides just need to start understanding that guiding up here in Alaska is a real privilege.
    I think there needs to be disciplinary action taken when situations like this arise, maybe even privileges restricted or even taken away dependent on the severity of the violation. Just my thoughts.

As for the name of the company that these guides work for I prefer to not name names since I do know that this forum has a far reaching audience.
    That's too bad. The way they behave on the river and towards the locals, I'd be throwing their name out all day long. They won't be running the river and what have you if they ain't getting the business!

Matt, I prefer to have the authorities deal with them. As we all know word of mouth advertising can work both ways and it is just a matter of time before folk find out the name of the camp and the names of the guides.
    If I was a camp or lodge owner I sure as heck would not be hiring them to work for me on any river here in Alaska and if I was a paying client I would not go fishing with a camp that condones this type of unethical behavior.

Really? I find it hard to believe a reputable & licensed guide service on the Kanektok would behave in that manner. Considering it does not sound like you have wittnessed the allegations 1st hand. It would definetely not benefit the outfit to act in such a manner. Could this be a dispute between the locals and sportfisherman regarding the prime fishing spots and limited salmon resources this season? There are two sides to every story.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 06-27-2010 at 21:56. Reason: spelling

Personally I have not had any problems with any sportfish guides here on the river. As for others it is a different story, I have heard first hand from the individuals that this unethical behavior was directed toward.
    Yes our king run was late this year, but the king run is in full swing now and no I don't believe the disputes are over limited resources.

Default Guide school

There is a lot of pressure for guides to deliver.
    High dollar clients have been fed photo's and litterature on the great fishing.
    The largest and best catches of the seasons past,,, are on display and every client is expecting to have his fish and fishing experience to be of equal size and quality.
    This pressure oft times causes paid for hires to act in desperate ways.
    We used to see it alot more of the attitude here on the Kenai river, but now the guides have realized that the public will not tolerate the bull dog behaviors.
    So they spend time at Charm school now.
    My neighbor is a Kenai guide since the late 80's and we visited this spring about the classes he attended this year.
    The speakers came to help the guides be more aware of the history of the area, and the river. Also speakers talked about what knowledge is available at this time on the fish itself.. all with underlying tones of having decent behavior and not losing ones cool...
    It is nothing more than Charm School, and some of it rubs off and some doesn't,, but I have noticed a difference here on the kenai with the proactive attitudes of the pro guides,,
    Wish they would make the charm school a deal breaker in alaska for all guides,, sorry to hear about the troubles on the Kanetok..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Personally I have not had any problems with any sportfish guides here on the river. As for others it is a different story, I have heard first hand from the individuals that this unethical behavior was directed toward.
    Yes our king run was late this year, but the king run is in full swing now and no I don't believe the disputes are over limited resources.

For what it's worth I expect to be on the Kanektok next week (work permitting). I can say for certain that I would be horrified if my guide got into with *anyone* but particularly locals over water access or anything for that matter. The Kanektok is a gift. Last year I was there the guides I fished with were very respectful of the watershed and the locals, I hope it's the same this year.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Guess what?This isn't Idaho!
    PowerDrifter:

I HOPE I caught you on a bad day.

Having taking geography and lived there for many years, I realize Alaska isn't Idaho.

My POINT was that guiding activity in both states is a regulated activity and bringing the attention of said (Alaska) activity to the TROOPERS might bring an end to it. When I mentioned TROOPERS I meant the Alaska brown shirts.

Please excuse me if mentioning another state pissed you off.

L

Its not just AK this happens. It happens all across the US. I would be very tempted to go Marine on his *****. Crap like this really gets me tourqed!! I just would not stand for it. If some one really stood up to them i bet they would back off. Not really the right way to deal with it but thats just me

The local that was recently harrassed filed a complaint against the guide today with the authorities. He said it was not the first time he has been harrassed by the guides working for the company in question. Other folks on the river also brought their grievances to the authorities as well. Everyone in town heard about the incidents and now folks here are not happy about what has been happening on our home river. Both the USFWS and ADF&G were contacted and informed about what has been happening here.
    This type of poor behavior needs to come to a stop, and not be tolerated by anyone. It is unethical and only creates animosity between folks out on the river. Plus as someone mentioned before it is illegal to harrass folks and interfere with their fishing activities. This is a beautiful river and this type of behavior from some of the guides ruins the outdoor experiences for everyone.

The local that was recently harrassed filed a complaint against the guide today with the authorities. He said it was not the first time he has been harrassed by the guides working for the company in question. Other folks on the river also brought their grievances to the authorities as well. Everyone in town heard about the incidents and now folks here are not happy about what has been happening on our home river. Both the USFWS and ADF&G were contacted and informed about what has been happening here.
    This type of poor behavior needs to come to a stop, and not be tolerated by anyone. It is unethical and only creates animosity between folks out on the river. Plus as someone mentioned before it is illegal to harrass folks and interfere with their fishing activities. This is a beautiful river and this type of behavior from some of the guides ruins the outdoor experiences for everyone.
    Very good!!!!
    If the behaviour is not reported it will never be corrected.
    I had a run in with a guide on the middle Kenai 2 years ago and was going to report it when I pulled out at the end of the day. It turns out I didn't have to as we were checked for licenses at the last stop before the pullout and I told the ADFG officer about what had transpired. Just I was finishing my storey the offending guide drove by on his way to the pullout, she chased him and gave him her card and told him to call her as she wanted to talk to him.
    My guess is she read him the riot act and told him that kind of behaviour will not be tollerated.
    If they are not made accountable the harassment will continue and they will win.

Get another people gathered for "interviews", it might be worth starting a website against this company. It'll get em off the river and probably affect their yearly earnings as well and the amount of people they book. That'll teach em!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast