Thread: Moving Back! Hunting and fishing questions..

Default Moving Back! Hunting and fishing questions..

Been away from AK for about 4 years now and My family and I will be moving to Anchorage. I lived on the Penninsula for a few years before. My question is how far does a person have to travel to get into some good hunting country once in Anchorage? Also what is the fishing like in the area? Any information is helpful.
    P.S. how far do u have to go to Black Bear bait?

"Good hunting country" is a relative term. There is solid black bear hunting nearby, and great sheep, goat, and brown bear hunting if you can draw hard-to-win permits. For general season hunting, your best bet close to Anchorage is black bear. You can bait within an hour drive in either direction, though farther is certainly better in most cases. Finding a place to bait can be difficult, though, as many people run bait stations in the easier to access areas. Perhaps a better option is hunting alpine black bears in the fall as they feed on blueberries. That is a great hunt in August, September, and October and can be done within a 1-2 hour drive of Anchorage.

There is some moose hunting to be done within the same driving range, but unless you're willing to walk into areas off the beaten path, expect company.

A word of advice and warning. Read the regulations very, very carefully when hunting within an hour of Anchorage. Of course you should read them carefully regardless of where you are hunting, but the area around Anchorage is particularly complex with many small areas having dramatically different rules. That will also help you to find small pockets of huntable land that are often overlooked by most hunters. I've got a couple of areas that I hunt that are very near to home where I have never seen other hunters. Read the regs, look at maps, spend your summers hiking and you just might find a gem.

As for fishing, there is some decent fishing in the Anchorage area, but again, crowds are usually the order of the day. For both fishing and hunting, the further you drive and hike, the more solitude and the better fishing and hunting you'll find.

Thanks for the info..(and advice I certainly know how particular Alaska regulations can get) Never spent any time north of Anchorage. At what point do you get outside of the populated hunting areas? 2-3 hours? What kind of access is available? Is it mostly hiking or are there an abundance of loggong roads and 4 wheeler trails to get u closer?
    I am willing to travel however far it takes just curious what to expect. I have some hunting spots on the Penninsula just wanted to do some exploring in the rest of Alaska.

Default my response

I have been away from alaska for 12 years and finally retired from the military and came back. Much has changed since i have been here last. First plan on traveling more than ever before. When i lived in anchorage i used to drive to buffalo mine road/sutton just to start looking for places to hunt. Know you go there and every tom dick and harry is out on the trail. You think hunting it doable, well yes if you want to stumble among other people. What used to be fairly light as far as pressure is now immense in my opinion. Others might not say so but i see things differently. The other major change is it seems like everyone has atvs and boats so the local animals are chased and chased and chased somemore. As far as fishing is concerned dont even get me started. I have secret lakes i used to live on and know i run those with a small boat and a fish finder and i can even mark fish on my monitors. It is the fact of life, more people, more access and less opportunities.

Fly out local hunts are even worse in my opinion. When i left alaska in 1998 i took a 10 3/4 inch billie goat atop of carmen lake. IT felt like we where the only ones who hunted this area at the time. Now people flood into that place after my hunt and from what i heard hardly a large goat to be found.

Lastly the gentlemen who was talking about reg and know the rules is right. I have spent the better part of 39 years hunting in 8 different states including alaska and never have been checked or questioned about anything with a game warden. I have been here for the better part of 10 months and i have been checked and questioned not once, not twice but three times by game wardens. A little bit much if you ask me but than again they are simply going to where people are hanging out hunting and fishing.

Again, just my observations since returning back, i am sure many will saw things contrary to mine but again opinions are just like aholes. Everyone has one.