Thread: Sotar Floor Problem

Default Sotar Floor Problem

I have just acquired a used 14 ft sotar self bailing raft. The body is in good shape and holds air.

The floor has some issues. The weld at the edge is delaminating from the inside out toward the edge. At this point the floor does not hold air. I have sent pics to Sotar and am waiting to hear from them. At this point would you:

1. Make some repair.
    2. Pay to ship to manufacturer for repair.
    3. Put $$ directly into a new floor.

Any guess on price of a new floor?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Sotar floor

It looks to me that you bought a late 80' early 90's raft. A new floor would be roughly in the $1,500 range. I have some liquid urethane you can have if you want to try and fix the leak yourself or you may want to contact Brian Richardson at ALASKA RAFT CONNECTIONS 907-250-2271, he has worked on this problem before. We stopped using this fabric close to 20 yrs ago.
    Goo Vogt
    ALASKA WILDWATER
    sotaralaska@yahoo.com

Default Floor Repairs

A great contact is Tracey Harmon, with Alaska Raft and Kayak. They're here in Anchorage and can be reached at 1 (907) 561-7238. Tracey has repaired more inflatable boats than anyone I personally know... the guy is amazing.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks for the feedback and the local contacts. I have heard back from Sotar. There is no good news at this point for my retro raft. I will explore local options and see if I can make anything serviceable from this.

Thanks again

Default Sotar floor

If this is the only place your floor is leaking, it looks to me that it can be welded back. I know Brian has a hot air welder and Tracy may too. Your whole raft is welded together and would be my first choice over glue for a urethane raft.
    Goo

Thumbs up

Thanks for the compliments Goo... always appreciated.

One right back at ya... I knew this looked exactly like the generation of SOTAR raft you have the picture of -- when you paddle teamed in international rafting competition.

As far as repair on Poster's Raft

I'd imagine (not lookin' 'er over first hand) as long as it is not an I-Beam issue and just the outer seam work leaking... this is not a big deal neither time consuming nor an expensive fix.

I would also encourage you to do a soap checking on the grommet holes (front & back).

My methods of 'soap checking' are by far the latest tech and most thorough, quickly revealing/telling system... I do not need to slather and lather using spray bottles or buckets with brushes to show what repair issues you may or may not be having.

If it is welding... this is a can do. If requiring other methods/materials... again a can do. Also precisely match the color of your SOTAR for a nearly invisible yet lasting repair.

Bottom line get the boat on-water

Cool

Hi Brian,

If there is a time to look over the raft I'd like to hear your ideas. Let me know if you would be willing and available to take a look see.

Dan Mitchell
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    Thanks for the compliments Goo... always appreciated.

One right back at ya... I knew this looked exactly like the generation of SOTAR raft you have the picture of -- when you paddle teamed in international rafting competition.

As far as repair on Poster's Raft

I'd imagine (not lookin' 'er over first hand) as long as it is not an I-Beam issue and just the outer seam work leaking... this is not a big deal neither time consuming nor an expensive fix.

I would also encourage you to do a soap checking on the grommet holes (front & back).

My methods of 'soap checking' are by far the latest tech and most thorough, quickly revealing/telling system... I do not need to slather and lather using spray bottles or buckets with brushes to show what repair issues you may or may not be having.

If it is welding... this is a can do. If requiring other methods/materials... again a can do. Also precisely match the color of your SOTAR for a nearly invisible yet lasting repair.

Bottom line get the boat on-water

Hello Dan -

Both Alex and I were out on the water.

While I can't say exactly what your inflatable may require for repairs... Go ahead and bring 'er in ...... also highly recommend touching base with Goo the Alaska SOTAR Rep. (GEAUX on here).
    Last edited by Brian M; 07-14-2010 at 18:32. Reason: commercial messages prohibited