Thread: "Genetically Altered Salmon Closer to Table"

Default "Genetically Altered Salmon Closer to Table"

I found this article interesting:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/26/bu...me&ref=general

Excerpt:
    The Food and Drug Administration is seriously considering whether to approve the first genetically engineered animal that people would eat salmon that can grow at twice the normal rate...

The salmon was developed by a company called AquaBounty Technologies and would be raised in fish farms. It is an Atlantic salmon that contains a growth hormone gene from a Chinook salmon as well as a genetic on-switch from the ocean pout, a distant relative of the salmon.

Mother Nature is not gonna like this at all. This is one of those things I do not buy into or believe. Messing with with gentic's (dont get me wrong I dont know much about them) jsut sounds like such a risky adventure. Oh and a really bad movie too
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default first the creation, then its patents...

Look at what has happened with GMO foods in plants... Huge megacorp develop a pesticide resistant plant, patent it, then shut down nonGMO farms around them as their patented plant finds its way into their fields and now they are infringing on the patent. Can you imagine where just that could go in the salmon world?

You conspiracy theorists are a little late. They have been making 120 lb king salmon and 60 lb rainbows for years in New Zealand and Scotland