Thread: Garmin Chartplotter plug problem

Default Garmin Chartplotter plug problem

Just installed my new 541S unit on my boat yesterday and works great except now I cant get the collar to unloosen around the main power connector to uplug it. Any suggestions?

I have this same problem on my 400c sonar and also on the new 541s. I cannot twist it off by hand no matter how hard I try. If I gently use a pair of pliers it comes right off.

I bought the 541S yesterday (great price at West Marine) and I was able to use the old cables and transducer so it made installation easy. It sure is a nice unit and I am looking forward to actually using it on the water.

BN2Fish are you saying that you pull it straight off with a pair of pliers or that you break loose the little tightening collar with the pliers? Thanks CP

I can't say for sure, I just do it, but I think I give it a slight twist. Try both ways. It does not take much force. I am not sure why I can't do it with my fingers.

I can't get mine to stay tight so maybe I need to use pliers to tighten mine up? The darn thing always comes lose when hitting whitecaps! Guess I could slow down but then the suspension seats wouldn't be getting used.

Default they suck

The connectors on these boxes really suck. I have trouble with my 546S. I take mine on and off my little zodiac and have been worried from the very first time I connected it that it would get stripped.....for 100$ I thought that they could have used better connectors.

I have a Lowrance unit on the back deck that I remove when not in use. I had the same problem. I put dielectric grease on the connections and put a little on the plug threads as well. No problem getting off with fingers anymore.

Ok, I checked last night. I don't think this has anything to do with the actual metal male and female plug/connector parts, but rather its all about the plastic connectors, so I don't think the dielectric grease will help (but I'll put some on anyway just to prevent corosion). Anyway, I put it together and take it off with just a slight twist with the pliers. Also, I note that its much easier on the new 541S unit than the older 400C unit, so I am thinking that maybe when they make/mold the plastic pieces there are some nubs that get in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by BN2FSH View Post
    Ok, I checked last night. I don't think this has anything to do with the actual metal male and female plug/connector parts, but rather its all about the plastic connectors, so I don't think the dielectric grease will help (but I'll put some on anyway just to prevent corosion). Anyway, I put it together and take it off with just a slight twist with the pliers.
    I didn't make myself clear enough. I just used the dielectric grease for the plastic collar connectors because it was what was in my hand at the time. Any lubricant would work. You shouldn't have to use pliers.

Default Thanks all

Hey when I got a chance last night I did the twist with the pliers thing and it did pop right off. I was just gunshy about using pliers on it but with a thin cloth wrapped around that collor and twisted. I will try the dielectic grease on the collar trick to to see if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinslut View Post
    Hey when I got a chance last night I did the twist with the pliers thing and it did pop right off. I was just gunshy about using pliers on it but with a thin cloth wrapped around that collor and twisted. I will try the dielectic grease on the collar trick to to see if it helps.
    One other minor thing. Don't get grease on the outside of the connector collar. On the Lowrance I have, part of the problem is the plug-ins are close together and it's hard to get a grip on them. I also used pliers until I tried the lube. It should work for you. Good luck.