Thread: Salmon fishing on the Kenai?

Default Salmon fishing on the Kenai?

Next week (July 5th - 9th) my father is taking my son to Alaska to do some salmon fishing on the Kenai River. Although as jealous as I am, I still want them to have a great time! They will be boat fishing up and down the river putting in at Soldotna. My question is, how has the fishing been and or where can I get accurate up to date fish reports for that area? They're also going halibut fishing one day out of Homer. Any other advice you may want to pass on to a 13 yr old to better his experience?

King fishing has been hit or miss, overall pretty slow from what I have seen. The 1st run of reds (russian river reds) has been pitafull at best. Next week is a bit early but the 2nd run of reds should start showing up soon as well as kings. On the other side rainbow and dolly fishing has been very good. Butt fishing from Ninilchik to homer has been solid so no worries there. If the effort is put in fish can and will be caught but so far this year nothing has been "hot".

For fish counts try this site for them and lots of info too

http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

King numbers are very good and will be over 11,000 by the conclusion of counting on Wednesday. So things look good for Kings, depending on water cons. of course.

Kenai King Count

The Russian River reds are a little behind schedule but seem to be peaking now with about 10,000 fish through the weir since last Monday. Still not sure how strong the run will be but this next week should tell the tale.

Russian River Red Count

Despite decent numbers fishing on the Kenai has been slow, some boats are getting 1 or 2 but a lot of boats going home with nothing. it can be a totally differet story by July 5th. Most of the boats will begin to move towards the tidal water as the second run begins to come into the river. Don't let the current reports scare you, a lot can change in a week or two! Good luck to them!

How many miles a day do the reds swim up the river.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Despite decent numbers fishing on the Kenai has been slow, some boats are getting 1 or 2 but a lot of boats going home with nothing. it can be a totally differet story by July 5th. Most of the boats will begin to move towards the tidal water as the second run begins to come into the river. Don't let the current reports scare you, a lot can change in a week or two! Good luck to them!
    Here's the latest ADFG Kenai king report:

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...DFs/ERsumm.pdf

About 1000 fish have been caught prior to the weekend, with 2/3's of them being retained. Very high proportion of dinks in this year's return

Many of the king salmon that have entered the river are smaller and younger than the average; this is represented in the departments test net catches and creel survey.

The glaring omission that's usually present in this weekly report is the angler effort required to catch a Kenai king.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Kenia

I'll be there too on the same dates. Who is he fishing with, and I would love an answer to this too!

Default Here's my thread from 2 weeks ago!

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=81617

My guide said they have been catching them in the Russian. Waiting for an update too.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyBassnbow View Post
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=81617

My guide said they have been catching them in the Russian. Waiting for an update too.
    The russian is VERY hit and miss. For those of us who have been fishing it for many many years we are getting fish but we are working for them too. There really has not been any big run staying in the river or laying below the river. Be prepared to spend some hours for them. It is not a shootout by anymeans at all
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Salmon travel around 7 to 11 miles per day depending how hot to trot they are.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

July 5-9, fishing down on the lower Kenai river should be good with the second run reds entering the river and the start of the second run Kings firing up also. But keep in mind that the Comm boys will be out in force in the Cook inlet getting their 90% share of the salmon. So one day may be super hot and the next totally sucking. As for the Russian river reds during that time period it will be between runs and the second runs won't start until around the July 15th. 907 262-9611 will tell you when the Comm boys are out with their nets. Tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Last year we fished by the ferry a the Russian on July 4th. Limited with 6 fish each. It was a great night and wished it would be possible more years. Count was over 1,000 on the 7th of July last year - amazing.

June 11th or about that time is usually peak at lower Kenai with Russian not coming along until later. Excluding last year I would say you are a few days early with your days. Counter goes up on the 15th forthe russian