Thread: VHF radio & inland waters

Default VHF radio & inland waters

Do you use and especially monitor emergency channels on inland waterways? I have a handheld and I'm trying to decide if I should install a 12v plug w/adapter to keep it on while running around inland waterways.

I have my radio on Ch. 16 when running, if there is a lodge on the river, I will ask them what channel they use.
    If you leave it off how can you help other people?

if your boat is sinking you might get someone right now to come and help. with a cell phone it could take an hour or more.

plus you get to hear where the fish are from other boats talking.

Thanks, those are good reasons/suggestions. I'll install a 12v cig. lighter in my little ob jet boat so I can run with the radio on full time.

most batteries last at least a days fishing and you can recharge at home or from your car.
    or get a car plug that has alligator clips to go to the battery for the few times you run it out.

Default Battery lasts LONG

Yeah agree with last post, my ICOM handheld, a year old or so has a battery that is just amazingly long lived. A charge will last Very Long if just left on monitoring. It's transmitting that smokes the batt. Even with the cig lighter adapter you won't have to have it on all the time but now and then to chg up if you are just leaving it on Ch 16 all the time.

Heck I leave my radios on 6 and 16 at night on anchor just to know I'll not miss someone in trouble or trying to raise me for some reason.

I would also agree with the idea of monitoring is that you won't ever run on by someone who is trying to call for help, while your radio wasn't on.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !