Thread: First Handload Kill, One Shot Finished, Yeah

Default First Handload Kill, One Shot Finished, Yeah

Thought I'd toss this to you guys first as the Handload aspect of this hunt was totally KEY

A nice 6' Black Bear Boar steps out of the woods across a slough from the end of my barrel, 212 yards away and Very Limited opportunity for stalking any closer,

Absolutely, as a result of having run some 700 plus rounds through this rifle this winter while learning to Handload my own custom hunting ammunition, along with the confidence I have in this my first load worked up, a Speer 130gr BTSP loaded with 68gr of RL-19 to a COL of 2.80 and launched by CCI 250, (didn't have a Chrony back then, sorry)

I decide to take the shot and clearly watch it hit true,

He whirls into the brush but 22yds later is down with vaporized set of lungs. A clean kill having passed through both sides of ribcage (unfortunately somehow I lost the bullet, didn't pass through the back side skin but I gutted him in the woods then dragged to the beach, and all I can figure is it fell out ? Dang, I was way into seeing that bullet)

Anyway, what is it about this first Handload Kill, you guys have been telling me about?
    One thing for sure is the high level confidence in my equipment from more shooting and knowing the round I have in loaded in there. What a great addition to the Total Hunt Experience.

I'll post on the hunting forum more detail but thought you guys, my loading mentors, should see this first,

Thanks for all the help,

Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Good job and nice bear.

From your choice of slow powder and (M) primer I would guess Magnum. However, that light bullet, 68gr charge and short COL has me wondering.

What was the cartridge?

Default 270 wsm

Hah, can't believe I forgot that stat, it was a 270WSM

and as mentioned I was just starting working on that bullet, so having bought a variety of bullets both Designer expensive and "Pick-up truck" style less expensive I started out with the Speers, thinking I would be not so good at it for a while. But that load is pretty tight.

Ended up with a box of "dialed in" Speer 130gr and thought I'd use 'em for Deer or Black Bear. I was working for accuracy at that time as had no Chrony so I know those pups are .5" at 100 all day long. This Sako 85 has a "Long Throat" as I am learning, so I can't get to the lands with smaller bullets. So early on I was just going close to book lengths and adjusting a bit if I found an accuracy advantage.

I have several loads worked up now for this one rifle and my summer project is to get out to the longer range more and learn about velocity and longer range stuff. I also have a lot of experimenting to do on powders, haven't even tried the RL-17 yet. The "perfect COAL" issue may be an ongoing learning curve for a long time I think.

Lots to learn
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Congratulations! It's a great feeling to see the results of your hardwork pay off. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Thought I'd toss this to you guys first as the Handload aspect of this hunt was totally KEY

A nice 6' Black Bear Boar steps out of the woods across a slough from the end of my barrel, 212 yards away and Very Limited opportunity for stalking any closer,

Absolutely, as a result of having run some 700 plus rounds through this rifle this winter while learning to Handload my own custom hunting ammunition, along with the confidence I have in this my first load worked up, a Speer 130gr BTSP loaded with 68gr of RL-19 to a COL of 2.80 and launched by CCI 250, (didn't have a Chrony back then, sorry)

I decide to take the shot and clearly watch it hit true,

He whirls into the brush but 22yds later is down with vaporized set of lungs. A clean kill having passed through both sides of ribcage (unfortunately somehow I lost the bullet, didn't pass through the back side skin but I gutted him in the woods then dragged to the beach, and all I can figure is it fell out ? Dang, I was way into seeing that bullet)

Anyway, what is it about this first Handload Kill, you guys have been telling me about?
    One thing for sure is the high level confidence in my equipment from more shooting and knowing the round I have in loaded in there. What a great addition to the Total Hunt Experience.

I'll post on the hunting forum more detail but thought you guys, my loading mentors, should see this first,

Thanks for all the help,

Atta boy! I love it when a plan comes together! You paid your dues at the bench....thanks for sharing the reward!

Cool beans! And lots of spring bear in the freezer! How can you beat that?

I've never tried the boattail version of that bullet on game, mostly because none of my 270 Winchesters ever shot best with it. But back "in the day" it was my go-to bullet for Columbia blacktails on the West Coast.

The single blackie I killed with it was one a friend had wounded with a large caliber, and I followed it up for a quarter mile before I caught up and popped the lungs. My one shot kill kinda freaked my friend out, and he just couldn't accept that his big gun (actually a 338) could wound and not kill, but a gut shot is a gut shot is a gut shot. And a good clean lung shot is a dead critter.

Woops. I just reread my post, and I see that I left out a detail. The flat based Speer 130 was my go-to bullet.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Good Job, Kodiakrain:

Now, you will always be a handloader.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Get job; nice bear. You've got to be feeling great. Now wait till you pop a goat at 300 yds and it dies just as fast. Congrats. J.

This is when the time spent at the reloading bench is all worth it.

Great job on a nice bear, may your handloads continue to fly straight!

Awsome pic man nice way to take care of that black beast!

Handloading breeds confidence, confidence breeds success. Congrats!

I know what the feeling is when you kill game with your roll your own ammo, it's the same as when you catch fish with your own tied flies. It is a great feeling and is the height of the do it yourself feeling. I have only killed one animal with a factory made round in nearly fifty years, all the many others have all been done with handloads. I know what the feeling is and feel proud of anyone that does the same. Any time you have to use a factory load, you feel at a disadvantage, from now on.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Good Job Al!
    Nice looking bear. I'll be back in Kodiak in Sept. Will try to get in touch. How's the halibut fishin' been going?
    Later, Jim B