Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car hits my boat

Default Car hits my boat

The other day I was headed back home to Sterling from Deep Creek towing my boat. the troopers had the traffic stopped just a few miles from soldotna due to a accident.
    I slowed down to stop, and looked in my rear view mirror to see if anyone behind me. A little red car was about 100 yds or more behind me.
    I came to a stop about 60 feet from the vehicle infront of me. I left the car in gear. I pumped my brakes a few times to let the fellow behind me know I was stopping ,, I have LED Tail lights that are really bright...
    I looked back again to see how the guy behind me was doing, and I heard his brakes light up,.. loud screeching,, .. I let my foot off the brake and went for the gas, and it was too late... The car hit my boat... We felt almost no impact in the suburban, as I rolled forward.
    I put the car in park and hit the flashers
    ran back and here was this little red toyota car mashed into the back of the boat, with the lower unit sticking thru his windshield. ( motor was a 115 hp Yamaha and I had it in the up position for travel)
    The prop was about 2 inches from his face and at his eye level.
    The car had gone under the boat and lifted it up off the trailer a bit .
    The older gentleman in the car was in shock, and would not speak for a moment..
    I looked him over visually to see if he had been injured, and continued to ask him if he were OK?
    He finally said he was not injured.
    No one hurt in the accident.. his car a total lose, My boat and trailer recieved some damage, but thats not really important... What scared me was ,,,,
    That prop and skeg went right thru that windshield, and I believe that if I had my car in park and not let off my brake and started to roll, when he hit me, I think we may have had a funeral on our hands.
    I am not sure now,,,, how I feel about traveling with my motor in the up position.. my current trailer is not tall enough for me to feel comfortable with the motor down for travel...
    So the question is
    In what position do you keep your motor at as you travel ?
    We can't control what the other guy is doing on the highways, and life is such a precious thing, ...
    I don't know how I could handle it if that man were seriously injured and or killed... Those motors in the up position are almost always high enough to enter a windshield, and that windshield is of little protection..
    Please advise..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Short of getting a jack plate and lifting the motor way up I can't come up with another solution. That said the odds of this ever happening again are very slim, the real lesson is to the guy not paying attention to the road. He is lucky you acted as you did. Also most 18 wheeler trailers would do the same thing to a car that size and there are many more of them on the road!

I travel with the motors tilted up and locked in up position. Glad he didn't get hurt, but like Lujon said, drivers need to pay attention. As long as your lights are all on and working, you've done your part. I would also check my transome inspected by a professional to make sure there is no structural damage. Don't want your transome to fall off while your underway.

No advice Max, just glad things turned out the way they did...
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Max, i'm sorry to hear about this, I am glad noboby was injured.

So sorry Max. As you stated. At least no one was hurt. Im sure the gentleman stopped and cleaned his drawers out too. I know that would have freaked me out big time. boats and cars can be fixed, Lost lives cannot.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Max,

Thanks for relating your story to us. It is common practice to trailer with the motor in the up position, and I don't think anyone could ever fault you for that. As someone said, it will almost probabily never happen to you again, but I am sure that you will be watching for the guy behind you for quite a while, sounds like you were already doing this before this happened.

Glad it just turned out to be a financial thing with no deaths or injuries.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I travel with my motors down, but I have a catamaran which sits much higher in the trailer than a v-hull does. I have very little chance of my motors hitting the ground. But, reading your story makes me wonder if you should have some red flagging near the prop, so others can see it sticks out further than your taillights.

I think by law anything that sticks out beyond 3 feet needs a flag. I don't imagine your lower unit is out past 3 feet, so I am not saying by law it needs flagging. I am just bringing it up as an idea to get people's attention, to see it may stick out further than they first think it does.

I know most trailer lights are well inside the back plane of the boat when it is on the trailer. It may just be a bad judgement call by the other driver, then they realize too late how close they are. Perhaps flagging may help.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

If your motor would have been down he still would have ran into your stern, its HIS fault not yours, people need to wake up when they are driving.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    The other day I was headed back home to Sterling from Deep Creek towing my boat. the troopers had the traffic stopped just a few miles from soldotna due to a accident.
    I slowed down to stop, and looked in my rear view mirror to see if anyone behind me. A little red car was about 100 yds or more behind me.
    I came to a stop about 60 feet from the vehicle infront of me. I left the car in gear. I pumped my brakes a few times to let the fellow behind me know I was stopping ,, I have LED Tail lights that are really bright...
    I looked back again to see how the guy behind me was doing, and I heard his brakes light up,.. loud screeching,, .. I let my foot off the brake and went for the gas, and it was too late... The car hit my boat... We felt almost no impact in the suburban, as I rolled forward.
    I put the car in park and hit the flashers
    ran back and here was this little red toyota car mashed into the back of the boat, with the lower unit sticking thru his windshield. ( motor was a 115 hp Yamaha and I had it in the up position for travel)
    The prop was about 2 inches from his face and at his eye level.
    The car had gone under the boat and lifted it up off the trailer a bit .
    The older gentleman in the car was in shock, and would not speak for a moment..
    I looked him over visually to see if he had been injured, and continued to ask him if he were OK?
    He finally said he was not injured.
    No one hurt in the accident.. his car a total lose, My boat and trailer recieved some damage, but thats not really important... What scared me was ,,,,
    That prop and skeg went right thru that windshield, and I believe that if I had my car in park and not let off my brake and started to roll, when he hit me, I think we may have had a funeral on our hands.
    I am not sure now,,,, how I feel about traveling with my motor in the up position.. my current trailer is not tall enough for me to feel comfortable with the motor down for travel...
    So the question is
    In what position do you keep your motor at as you travel ?
    We can't control what the other guy is doing on the highways, and life is such a precious thing, ...
    I don't know how I could handle it if that man were seriously injured and or killed... Those motors in the up position are almost always high enough to enter a windshield, and that windshield is of little protection..
    Please advise..
    Max
    its his own fault, just think if it was you on a motorcycle and he hit you with that car, youd either be dead or paralized. maybe the boat motor should have took him out to protect others from him.
    Semper Fi!

I trailer my I/O up.....the only thing to remember is that if you have any type of extensions that are 4 feet or more behind the lights you are required to have a flag or lights. Most motors in the up position exceed the 4 feet and some trailer lights can be a PIA to see or as usual many don't work properly.

I run this on my I/O and so far I am the only one that I have seen running it here in Alaska. http://www.pmlights.com/products.cfm...Id=58&pId=2122

I to have swapped all my lights to LEDS as I like to travel at night and I always seem to run into the bad weather.

Have someone double check your boat for damage.....transoms are tough but really are not made to take a blow like that.

I hang red flagging with long trailers from my motors and still people travel right under the props at times to the point the flagging is flapping around their front bumper/hood. One would think common sense would dictate there actions but not the case. Sounds like he was unaware of his surroundings at that moment. Glad nothing worse happened, that could have been gruesome.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    If your motor would have been down he still would have ran into your stern, its HIS fault not yours, people need to wake up when they are driving.
    Nuff said.....

Default Good Attention

heck Max, I think you should be encouraged that your attention to what isn't really your responsibility (the guy behind you is responsible to not hit you, right?) absolutely saved this guy some major trauma. Being tuned in to his bad driving and getting off the brake is "Good Job," Defined.

I was thinking about your post this morning driving to work and sure enough I found myself behind a pretty big boat on trailer with a 200hp something on it in the up position. Looking at it I realized that this extension of the boat had pretty low visibility, as in, it was blue gray, the skeg and prop I mean, and backed up by the transom mount which was black on anotherwise white hull so, not so noticeable by a non boat guy driver.

Then interesting enough I was noticing his trailer lights must have been more than 6ft further up than the extended skeg. A serious thing for anyone to judge. (and apparently by this thread Major Illegal) So my thought was flagging the skeg with even some surveyors tape would be a good move.

Then to top it off, I watched as he eased to a stop sign and his brake lights did not come at all........................................
    he was easing down Mission Road, a definite back road from the harbor in Kodiak early Sunday morning savin' himself a little money and extra effort.

Hopefully he'll be reading on the AOD this afternoon and learn from your example of Good Attention to detail in your boat trailering.

Good Post
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Max stopped by to see you this WE when at the Moose River i was talking to a guy with a Honda OB he uses a 2 X4 between the motor & tilt lock. Said his upper hinge pin was showing wear tranporting motor in the up position! Said it works well for transport. Nice to hear no one was hurt! Kurt

Default motor position

I travel with my 225 about half-way up, just for them reasons. Too low to tow in the down position, and if I go all the way up, I'm afraid some idiot won't see it sticking out. It travels well half-way, actually seems to be the best balance on the hinge. A blaze-orange ribbon might be a good addition, but maybe that will cause some other distraction
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.

Alaskacanoe, your attention to your surroundings certainly reduced injury in this case but you cannot always protect a person from him self

Dupont Spinner, I've been looking for somthing like that, thanks for the link, I trailer a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Jonsboat View Post
    Alaskacanoe, your attention to your surroundings certainly reduced injury in this case but you cannot always protect a person from him self

Dupont Spinner, I've been looking for somthing like that, thanks for the link, I trailer a lot
    If thats a picture of your setup you should probably have it. The 4 foot rule is one of those things that is rarely enforced but can come to bear in case of litigation.

The cavitation plate 3rd brake light is really bright hooks up with a 4 pin trailer connector to your trailer wiring allowing for easy hookup and disconnection. I did this as I got tired of looking back and seeing car frontends parked under my outdrive, it does seem to keep them back a little further. I will look to see if I still have one around as I bought a bunch of them on closeout in the lower 48. I will post up in the next day or two if I find the right box.

Any time you run your motor in a tilted position you should provide some type of support, as shown above. This will protect the hinge pin and will help to limit the wear to your transom. Many folks do not realize how much their boat motors bounce going down the road, especially in a tilted position. The motor having all the leverage on the end of the whip.

I know this was brought up in another thread but as a reminder using transom straps is another good idea. A hard impact good easily have driven a boat over the post and into your tow vehicle. I seen a Bayliner Trophy (had a 4 sale sign in the windows) the other day coming from Wasilla bounce off the trailer a good 4 to 6 inches crossing the bridges at the flats. When you are riding a motorcycle it's really funny what youa re watching for when riding.

Max....Glad to hear everyone was alright. As everyone has said, you shouldn't feel any wrong doing as it was his fault the accident happened. That being said, I hear you about not wanting to hurt anyone. I've wondered about this very situation before. The boat I now have came with these rubber piston type things that you install when hauling the boat. It allows you to haul the boat with the motor lowered most of the way down and take the weight off the hydraulic trim/tilt. I can't remember what they're called but here's a link. Works pretty well and keeps the motors lowered pretty far down.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard.../0/detail.aspx

I don't think their cheap but they avoid a problem talked about here previously with too much stain on the hydraulic tilt and they keep the motors lower when hauling. Just a thought.

Again, glad to hear everyone was okay and hope the damage to your boat wasn't too bad.

Angry No excuses for crappy driving!

I have to be stone cold on this one; Ask "Doug from Anchorage" what his thoughts were when some guy destroyed his boat and smashed his truck because he couldn't stop in time. I would also be glad no one was killed, just so I could beat the hell out of him! (partially kidding...)

Flagging my butt! If you can't see a boat or need some flagging to see a 115 motor you shouldn't own a vehicle! Hauling lumber -YES flagging for sure, that is like looking at the tip of a spear, but a boat! The whole motor is a flag!!!

I have seen more people pull in front of you, pass like the Seward Hwy is a thousand feet wide, and sat in a line of cars miles long on that Seward Hwy while they cleaned up the bodies more times than I can count.

Folks, I was born here and I am sick of the accidents big or small. I am ready to see anyone who so much as hits a squirrel between Potter Valley and Sterling hang by their toes from the flag pole!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast