Thread: what trails are a no go for a rhino?

Default what trails are a no go for a rhino?

Well after reading some descriptions of trails like pinochle, b29 Im not sure if my rhino can get to some of these places. what trails do you guys think are to small for a rhino? or to dangerous for that matter? Trails in the valley is mostly what Im asking about.

I took a fourwheeler down to chitna for dippnetting and im sure The rhino was to big for some of the spots on that trail.

There are few spots I took my Rhino that an atv would not go. The main problem was overgrown trails. Especially in the winter, trees were pulled to the ground by layers of snow. I could scoot underneath the limbs in an atv, not so much with a bulky RUV.

Pinochle is cake in a rhino. Hicks Creek Hill was a bump in the road for me. We made it to Mazuma Creek no problem and it was a blast. Pinochle is one of my favorite trails. I see the hill and mud fields as nothing more than a challenge. The challenge is what makes the ride fun.

There isn't one trail I have been on I would not take a rhino in the summer time.

I have to agree with Water Gremlin. I have taken my Rhino everywhere and find it to be more capable than my ATV on most occasions. The Rhino is not that much wider than my Grizzly. I have not found a trail too narrow. I just push through with the Rhino...I am not afraid to let trees and rocks scrape the sides. Just go slow and you should be ok. I find that the limiting factor is usually the driver 99% of the time. Most folks don't think UTVs can do something so they are afraid to try for fear of breaking something. I always ride with friends for safety reasons so I always know I will have help on the trail. I use them as spotters when I go over obstacles. I find that I am the one helping them most of the time. My Rhino ends up being an ATV recovery vehicle. I have pulled more than one ATV home from a long ride.

The only issue fora Rhino would be if you were trying to cross a bridge and the bridge itself would not allow for the Rhino width or a trail with two trees where the opening was too narrow. Other than that, the Rhino will go everywhere an ATV will go and some places it will not.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

yeah the little bit I have rode my rhino I know they are capable.

But man those little hairpin switchbacks at copper river would have made my butt pucker if I was in the rhino.

I just havent gotten used to not being able to see where the two right tires are at

Default No limits

Don't own a Rhino, but IME the only limiting factor on any trail is the equipment you bring along with you on your ATV or UTV. Besides deep, deep water crossings, if you have a couple other rigs with you, a good winch, good winch cable or synthetic rope, good shovel, saw, extra tow ropes, tire repair kit, etc., then any trail is passable it's just a matter of how much enginuity do you have to employ to get down it.

Default agree

I agree with the two previous posts. I take my rhino anywhere my buddy takes his wheeler. But i have my wife and all the gear in my rhino and he is emty. the trails you mentioned would be a fun ride.

Default Polaris Rangers

I have a Ranger and have never been limited on a trail because it's a UTV. I do agree that it can get tight in some places. I also agree that when I am out with other ATV's I end up doing alot of winching to get them out. These things will go in so many more places than a four wheeler if you have decent tires and a 2" lift.

what about water crossing? I was watching some guys today cross a creek at jims creek today and they were kneeling up on there seats to cross. I was thinking for sure my butt would get wet, but Not sure if I would have sucked water. Are the 4 wheelers more capable at water crossings?

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    what about water crossing? I was watching some guys today cross a creek at jims creek today and they were kneeling up on there seats to cross. I was thinking for sure my butt would get wet, but Not sure if I would have sucked water. Are the 4 wheelers more capable at water crossings?

It all depends on what UTV you have. I have a buddy with a RZR S and he gets wet crossing any water at all. I cross water in my Rhino all the time. The Rhino, Ranger, Prowler, etc. all sit higher than the RZR.

Honestly, my Rhino crosses water better than any ATV I have seen. Especially if that water is moving fast. I cross creeks/rivers and watch ATVs get swept down stream until they find some bottom to grab onto. My Rhino is a lot heavier so it stays on the bottom. I have never had my Rhino get pushed around in water. I have had whitewater in the cab and flowing out the other side.

Here is a video of my Silver Grizzly and Red Rhino...nothing major but you get the idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otN_LviKzvI
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

I agree that the UTV's will cross water alot better than an ATV. I was back on the Oshetna last fall and crossed both the Big and Little O with no problems, even pulling a tandem axle pack rat. I seen two ATV's cross the same place as me and both were pushed down streem a bit.

I have gotten my butt wet crossing water and the motor has never skipped. The air intake is under the hood up high unlike a ATV where they are typicaly under the seat.