Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dipnetting Techniques

Default Dipnetting Techniques

Kasilof River Shore Fishing Techniques

I prefer the last method, especially since it saves a lot of slogging through the muck.

~tr

How large is your mesh bag? How do you attach it to you? Is it bought, or made?

Thanks in advance, and I love all the charts, graphs, tables, pictures, and info you post. Thank you.

You might remember that we met down at the sportsmans show when you and I were gabbin' with thewhop when he artfully swept us aside to shake Don Young's hand? Was that last year, or the year before?

It was last year and thanks for using the term artfully. Someone on here will appreciate that!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default bull

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    It was last year and thanks for using the term artfully. Someone on here will appreciate that!!!
    When the bull don't tip over everything in the china shop, its good to point it out that he done good.

Default An old landing net will do.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    How large is your mesh bag? How do you attach it to you? Is it bought, or made?
    I just use an old landing net bag and run a line through the top row of web, then clip it on to the chest waders with a carabiner. I suppose you could get fancy and put a quick closure deal on there like on your jacket hood.

Hope to see you again, sometime, FM.

~tr

Default Another application of using a net bag to keep your catch.

These fellows on the Copper show how it's done.

~tr
    Last edited by gr8fl; 03-30-2011 at 16:51. Reason: misspelling correction

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    These fellows on the Copper show how it's done.
    Does the next picture in the sequence show the fish coming aboard, or the 3 guys joining the fishes? That's darn little freeboard they've got there. Maybe 2 bags would work better? ;-)

I prefer the last method, especially since it saves a lot of slogging through the muck.

~tr
    I use something similar to the last method, but eliminate step 3 as it isn't needed and I slice both gills during step 4 and then use a homemade aircraft cable stringer for the fish. It's about 8 feet of 3/16" vinyl coated cable that I loop around my waist and have a stringer bar at the other end to keep the fish on. Works like a champ and I never have to leave the water until it's time to go home and start cleaning fish.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Does the next picture in the sequence show the fish coming aboard, or the 3 guys joining the fishes? That's darn little freeboard they've got there. Maybe 2 bags would work better? ;-)
    Musta gottem aboard. They counted 52 fish in that bag. Lessee, 52 X (avg lb per fish)≈some weight.

Thumbs up Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    ...eliminate step 3 as it isn't needed and I slice both gills during step 4 and then use a homemade aircraft cable stringer for the fish....Works like a champ and I never have to leave the water until it's time to go home and start cleaning fish.
    So much less work doing it that way without having to walk back and forth from the beach.

~tr

I don't fish from the beach anymore but do have a question for those that do.
    Have you ever tried putting a rubberband on the handle by the net and when the tide is outgoing putting the excess net bag under the rubberband?
    I rember trying that when I used to dip the Kasilof from shore. As soon as the fish would hit it the net would pop free from the ruberband and you would have them. I just didn't like the way the bag hung when the tide was going out. Especially if I felt the fish were still headed up stream and not backing out as they sometimes do.
    I don't even know if this is legal but I can't really see why not. you still have a bag shaped net it isn't like it is permanently stretched tite. It only takes a second or two to secure the net this way and it pops off instantly.
    Just a thought.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I don't fish from the beach anymore but do have a question for those that do.
    Have you ever tried putting a rubberband on the handle by the net and when the tide is outgoing putting the excess net bag under the rubberband?
    I rember trying that when I used to dip the Kasilof from shore. As soon as the fish would hit it the net would pop free from the ruberband and you would have them. I just didn't like the way the bag hung when the tide was going out. Especially if I felt the fish were still headed up stream and not backing out as they sometimes do.
    I don't even know if this is legal but I can't really see why not. you still have a bag shaped net it isn't like it is permanently stretched tite. It only takes a second or two to secure the net this way and it pops off instantly.
    Just a thought.
    That's gotta be legal. the regs talk about how much bag length you're running, not that it must be free floating with the tide. Cool Idea, I think I might try this.

There is a better method. Fish from a boat.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Default beach dipping, and proxy dipping

there's a lot more and better socializing on the beach. Great people too. And I always limit out anyway, so I'm not too concerned about finishing fast. Heck, sometimes I even proxy for others (disabled vets) so I can both help them and spend more time on the beach.

Which brings to mind another thing. Maybe this site wants to make a special stickum thread for older and disabled Alaskans to ask if others want to proxy-get some to all of their fish for them. Myself, I'd support that thread by offering to do so for a guy/family that needs fish to feed their family but cannot go get'm due to physical reasons.

Forget boats. You spend over half your time not fishing and you have to deal with that flippin' horrendous boat launch (if you're doin the Kenai) and all the other moronic weekend-wannabe-boat-captains who can't tell starboard from larboard.

The flow of the bag has no effect on the fish entering the net. Don't mess with something that works. If the fish are there, they'll hang up going both ways. I've frequently caught additional fish while working to get a fish out of the net, since I never leave the water and the net is always fishing, even if I'm standing next to it. I've even caught two more fish at the same time while untangling a third that managed to roll the net up pretty good. The fish don't know the difference and they certainly can't swim around an invisible net pouch. Net is net on both sides.

Further, there are some who argue that a downstream pouch will actually catch more fish because they hit net before they get to the frame. The shiny metal frame has more of a chance to spook the fish than the invisible net does.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I park my boat at river mile 15 on the kenai. It's a 35 minute run loaded with fish. I have a nice fillet table, ice machine, and commercial vacuum packer that does 80-90 reds per hour. And I do lots of socializing with all the friends I take out. Last year we killed 352 reds on my boat, plus we still get some evening king fishing in. So yeah, dipnetting from a boat is total win.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Yeah, that changes everything as far as boats go.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

~tr

bump up this one too.

I float the kenai, so no worry about the tide making the mesh go downstream of the frame. My frame is made from 1/2" conduit bent into a 5' octagon attached to a length of closet rod as a handle and uses a large dipnet gilnet. I suppose I should inspect the frame to see how much the weld has rusted. The galvanizing seems to have held up fairly well.

My technique for the N shore if fairly simple. I put in where people start their kenai shuffle, kick out about 10-20' further than peoples nets, and when I approach where people are stopping their shuffle, I kick back in. Sometimes I'll kick back in early when I have several fish in the net.

The tough call is, you feel a bump in the net, it's shaking, do you rotate the net horizontal and head to shore, or do you figure the fish is gilled, and keep floating hoping to pick up more fish. Sometimes the extended float results in more fish in the net, sometimes you come in empty. Sometimes as soon as you drop the net in the water you get fish, and then head right back to shore.

The toughest part is getting my kids attention to come and gut the fish, trim the tail and wash them off.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Any down side to using this method? I'm guessing that if you're standing in a crowded area that the fish on the stringer might get hung up on someone elses net as they're walking by. Another nice thing about using the stringer, I would guess, is that you don't have someone quickly slip into the spot you were in when you leave for the short to put the fish in the cooler. Funny how someone sees you get a fish and assumes that it must be the hot spot when really it's most often just luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I use something similar to the last method, but eliminate step 3 as it isn't needed and I slice both gills during step 4 and then use a homemade aircraft cable stringer for the fish. It's about 8 feet of 3/16" vinyl coated cable that I loop around my waist and have a stringer bar at the other end to keep the fish on. Works like a champ and I never have to leave the water until it's time to go home and start cleaning fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast