Thread: Salmon snack sticks

Default Salmon snack sticks

Has anyone tried making snack sticks from salmon? Im talking about a slim jim style casing and same idea only the meat inside the sausage is salmon? I see they sell them commercially. I was wondering if anyone has tried making it themselves and willing to share the experience.

Default Salmon Sausage sticks

When I couldnt find a salmon stick recipe anywhere I just made my own up and it turned out pretty good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Salmon Snack Sticks

18 lbs Sockey or King Salmon

cup salt

2 cup almond flour

1 cup honey

1 tsp ground ginger

2 tsp ground nutmeg

3 Tablespoons ground white pepper

1 tsp sage

1 tsp garlic granuals

Notes: use 19mm collegen casings. Grind fish almost frozen. Use these same spice quantities with 20lbs fish for a more milder product. Smoke, and bring temp up to just cook. Do not overheat.

Thought about making some but never got around to it..got any for sale!

PC-

They look tasty, would you make them again? I'm thinking about trying a batch as well.

You can't sell sportcaught or personal use salmon....

I like the idea - if we get into some silvers I might have to give this a try.

you cant buy the salmon BUT you can give him a generous donation for the other supplies involved the salt honey flour casings... etc.

Anyone have any good salmon hunter stick recipes they'd be willing to share? Looking at doing a brine or dry seasoning, mixing it and sending it through the jerky gun then through the smoker or dehydrator any suggestions for a hunter stick/snack stick would be appreciated.

Wow.....I haven't seen this thread in awhile! This is a great recipe! I make it every year with 50 lbs of fish. Sometimes I do straight Sockeye, sometimes I mix 50/50 halibut salmon. It's always good and gone by spring. Except now I just make patties, the sticks were great but I eat more fish in patty form and I usually have plenty to use up. Same recipe. Anyone ever try it??? I never got any feed back for sharing my concoction. I truly did come up with this myself and it works good for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just stumbled across this recipe and think I will give it a try. Are you smoking the patties? I will make them in the stick form, but am just curious. Also, what kind of smoker do you have? I have a Bradley Digital Smoker, and make a lot of sausage. It does an excellent job (after some modifications of course). I can turn you on to a great forum with recipes and suggestions for the Bradley smoker....if you have one.

Thanks for the recipe!! I will let you know how it turns out for me.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Quote Originally Posted by AkBillyBow View Post
    I just stumbled across this recipe and think I will give it a try. Are you smoking the patties? I will make them in the stick form, but am just curious. Also, what kind of smoker do you have? I have a Bradley Digital Smoker, and make a lot of sausage. It does an excellent job (after some modifications of course). I can turn you on to a great forum with recipes and suggestions for the Bradley smoker....if you have one.

Thanks for the recipe!! I will let you know how it turns out for me.

AkBillyBow

a good smoking forum? Does it also have canning info? PM me if you cant post links

Thanks

Let's see if I am able to post links to the forums I go to. I don't see any canning info there, and I don't know anything about canning....so can't help you there. These sites are food smoking relate, with the first one being specific to Bradley brand smokers. Lots of good ideas and recipes on both of these:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php#c3

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/index.php

Hope they are useful to someone!!

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's