Thread: Got checked by F&G troopers + back-pack rule

Default Got checked by F&G troopers + back-pack rule

Sat morning, I got checked for license.
    1st comment was "your back pack has to be with in 3' of a person".
    (I was in the river with pack on the bank)
    A rule I didn't know (my fault, I read all the rules back in the 90's once) so now I just wear it all the time. I think it's a legit rule with bears always near.

Man & woman walking from upper trail headed down to Red S campgrounds.

It was nice to see them there. They were both very nice, & we had a good conversation.
    A nice surprise & I wish they were there more often.

Told them "Thanks" & "I appreciate them"

Default Wow, didn't know that either

That's a good post,

I didn't know that either and had been wondering recently about that,
    so I got my license in a ziplock bag zipped into my hunting/fishing pants now as a result of wondering what it would be like to explain, "It's actually back there in that canoe, in that pack, really!"
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default The other "rule" to be aware of

is the 12 foot rule for fish now in effect. Apparently the old rule of having them "close" was a problem for enforcement and so a specific distance was put into play.

a public meeting will be held -- sometime in the fall I understand to discuss this rule and others for the RR.

Commentary: The 12 foot rule is shortsighted because it is focusing on the mechanics of safe-guarding your fish and ignores other concerns which are mostly about slip and fall accidents related to securing fish off to one's self or simply not being able to fish certain areas with only one person. Some unintended results will be to limit those with disabilities or who are older and more frail who otherwise could fish like anyone else.

Why don't they just get the grinders in place and have everyone sign a waiver concerning their use????

I was just catching a fish, filleting, putting in backpack,, then resume fishing.
    Several PIA rules, but not looking for any hassles.
    I went fishing to relax & have fun, not be hassled.
    Can't change the rules while on the river fishing, more sports fishermen at the F&G board meeting is where the change can happen.
    A letter to local state senators & reps also helps.

Walked from pink salmon lot on the Russian to the guard-rail curve on the Kenai and saw 5 different troopers. Seems they are patrolling this area much heavier this year. One trooper was even fishing...

I tried to find the 3' & 12' rule in the reg book.
    I cold not find it.
    Somebody have a page # so I can read what they say.
    I saw a "bear" section that said back-pack 'should" be within arms length but no 3' or 12' rule.

Found this page:
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...ions/bears.cfm

It does say "Fish must be kept within 12 feet of you all at times"...

& food storage:
    "A food storage order is in effect on USDA Forest Service lands and US Fish and Wildlife Service lands and waters in the area which means that all attractants (for example, food, beverages and garbage) and equipment used to cook or store food must be acceptably stored (in a bear-resistant container, in your vehicle, or kept within 3 feet of you at all times)."

& typically I have a granola bar or some food in the pack, then after I put a fillet in it, well it's food.

but a pack with no food, no 3' rule I could find.

Default curious on the reasoning

Just wondering, is this rule about having fish in pack (potentially attracting Bear) the reasoning or is it about having your paperwork close by?

I assumed F&G checkling was about "where is your license?" but other posts here have me wondering. I also didn't see it in regs anywhere
    Thanks
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

kodiakrain - These rules are specific to the Russian River and were put in place to deal with bears that were becoming increasingly habituated and agressive about taking fish off stringers and going through backpacks to find food (not just fish).

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Just wondering, is this rule about having fish in pack (potentially attracting Bear) the reasoning or is it about having your paperwork close by?

I assumed F&G checkling was about "where is your license?" but other posts here have me wondering. I also didn't see it in regs anywhere
    Thanks
    Actually I asked them if they wanted to see my license. I mean I got $58 tied up in it, so yes check it.
    The concern was the packs on the bank, until I mentioned "want to see my license"?, no one asked.
    Just a verbal warning, like I said they were nice folks. Doing their job well.
    & I appreciated seeing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    kodiakrain - These rules are specific to the Russian River and were put in place to deal with bears that were becoming increasingly habituated and agressive about taking fish off stringers and going through backpacks to find food (not just fish).
    Last summer I watched a black bear get into a pack left on the bank. Took what looked like lunch right out of the pack while the fisherman was about 30-35 feet away in the river.