Thread: As Strange As It May Sound....

Default As Strange As It May Sound....

I'm in need of a source for bulk turkey hearts/giblets.....

Yeah, I know; it makes one consider whether or not there's some strange Carribean or other religious ritual involved requiring blood sacrifice and poultry..... There's not..

A friend of many years (an old-timer who helped to survey the Trans-Alaska Pipeline corridor, and worked on the building of the pipeline as a laborer in the 70s) occasionally 'assigns' me with the task of hunting down strange (and sometimes not so strange) food items for preparing unusual meals at our home. We often turn the whole event into a get-together of sorts; festivities surrounding some type of group cooking effort and all.

He typically reserves these 'festivities' and associated requests for serious moments of cabin fever, for obvious reasons; mostly trying to put a dent in the boredom and lack of social contact that sometimes permeates life in the sub-arctic for bachelors and bachelorettes alike during the darkness of winter, and to provide one more reason for being goofy in a semi-constructive manner..

We recently this last winter) made chicken cordon bleu (I know, not so strange), and before that, a Scandinavian dish ('Somebody-or-other's Delight'; I think perhaps it was 'Jensen's Delight,' but not sure any more..) that involved a combination of thinly slkiced, layered potatoes, onions, bacon en masse, grated gruyere cheese, cream, and, (of all things... ) anchovies..

(I never thought I'd see my kids, or my wife for that matter, scarfing down an uber-greasy, bacon-loaded dish that included anchovies as a required ingredient, but I now know that with proper culinary presentation and preparation, all things are possible.. We made 2 trays of that stuff, and ate 2/3 of the preparation -that- night!)

Anyway, he's now assigned me with finding a source for a 5-lb. box of frozen, whole turkey hearts. (I initially thought he was perhaps going to make a political statement of some sort, but I'm now convinced he's serious about yet another experiement in my kitchen.. Fortunately, 3/5 of my family likes poultry giblets of all sorts, and the other 2/5 can be counted on to eat it in front of guests, providing it doesn't cause immediate illness...)

So... right now we're haggling over what I'm apt to prepare with the turkey hearts if I should find a source for them (I'm all for chopping them, browning them in flour with onions, celery, carrots, etc., and making an SOS sort of affair out of them. He wants to prep them whole, including one idea he brought forth to stuff them. I drew the proverbial line in the sand at that idea.. No whole stuffed turkey hearts.. Tho' I guess I've backed down a time or two before...

Fred Meyer's meat dept. in Fbks told me over the phone this evening that they can't special order them. Same for Sam's Club. That leaves Safeway, Quality Sales, and who knows who else...

I looked on the internet (likely a unique search, I suspect) and the only obvious source I found was a premium animal food place that offered a 30-lb. box of frozen whole turkey hearts for $31.00. Tbey promised the hearts were of the same-grade as those for human consumption, but I already have fears of being forced to eat dog food in order to sustain myself in later life as it is, so I'm trying to postpone eating anything that even remotely reminds me of Alpo, no matter -how- grand the claims of the seller may be re. the quality...

If anyone knows where I might find a good quality source for fresh frozen turkey hearts (5 lbs worth) that are -clearly- MARKETED FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION, I'd appreciate it greatly...

Thanks... I think...

you might contact anthony with triple d hatchery here in the mat-su.

http://www.alaskatripled.com/index.html

Thanks. I'll give him a call.

Fred's and several other retailers stated they couldn't get them. Safeway apparently has a source, but it's not consistent in supply; they were out of stock at their wholesaler's the other week, and since then no one in Safeway's local meat dept has called me back.. Probably not a big deal for them, as it only represents perhaps a $10.00 sale or so, and they've got bigger issues to work through with staff shortages, declining benefits, etc.

I'll give this fellow a call. I'd rather see my pennies go to a local venture anyway, just as long as it doesn;t break the bank.

thanks again.