Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how did you get your wife to hunt?

Default how did you get your wife to hunt?

I was just wondering, how did everyone get there wives to hunt? She has no problem with me hunting, in fact she hates beef. She process any meat I get and has no problem with blood or the fact that I killed it. I was just wondering what everyone did to convince there wives to hunt? She'll fish with me, but I would love to take her hunting with me. Thanks, and this should be an interesting post.

Default Be persistent

I don't have a wife but I do have a serious girlfriend, and I am just persistent and keep encouraging her to come with me. I try to tell her fun stories that make her want to go hunting, not exactly fun kills, but just fun times watching animals out hunting. I think if you tell them about all the cool things you've seen animals doing it makes them become interested, and want to see some of the things you have. She was actually sitting right beside me this year when I shot a black bear from my bear stand, and I think she really enjoyed it.

louise was already a hunter when i met her.
    by her own reasoning unless she can kill she doesn't have the right to eat meat.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default the drawing

By getting her drawn for a rare (meat hunt) permit; she loves a good steak and couldn't pass up hundreds of pounds of great meat in exchange for a couple day trips and a couple of bullets.

-Make her comfortable. If her first experience or two are wet and/or cold, it's likely a lost cause. I spent a small fortune on gear for my wife before she ever set foot in the mountains, as I wanted to be sure that she would be warm and dry.

-Start small with day hikes and camping trips. Make it more about her than the hunt. When she knows that you cherish spending time in the woods with her, she'll want more of that time with you whether it is hunting season or not.

-Educate her. Talk about regulations, animal behavior, field judging, etc. Treating her as a valued partner who can do it and who doesn't need to have her hand held every step of the way helps. My wife values my input, but she knows that I have a lot of faith in her as a woman in the mountains.

-Make it an adventure. (That's what my wife just said when I mentioned this thread.) The experience matters far more than a successful harvest. Get off the beaten path and build memories with her.

-Get her a firearm that fits her and that is not too rough on the recoil. My wife has a very gentle shooting 7mm-08 that did a great job on her caribou this year. She's comfortable shooting it, and that is hugely important.

-Invite her. Make it clear how much you love having her with you.

-Be willing to call off a stalk or a hunt if things get dicey. Again, if she's not comfortable, she probably won't go again. Build this trust up and she'll be itching to go with you again and again.

-Throw any considerations of "trophy" size out the window on her first few hunts. If she gets excited about shooting a small bear or a spike moose, do not encourage her to hold off for something bigger. Again, experience trimuphs other aspects here.

Default Hunting wife

All of the above from Brian (you're going to make a great husband!)

I grew up hunting so my husband didn't have a lot of coercing to do, but .... from the wife's perspective:

Get her a gun she can shoot -- take her shooting, have someone else help fit a gun (husbands should not always do this for their wives)

Have her learn to shoot

Make the time hunting time together for the two of you. Mr. mbd and I love our backcountry time together even if we don't bring home any meat. Although there can be some lively discussions about whose fault it is or why not ...

If you don't kill anything, so what? If you enjoy each others' company and get to spend time in this great land, isn't that good enough?

And they do call it 'hunting', not 'guaranteed freezer filling', so sometimes it's just you, the land and a lot of time .... and we should be grateful for that time.

I guess all this says is make it fun and about the two of you and she'll come along.

I did. I do. I probably always will.

I always thought the if you don't shoot it, you dont eat it, did the job
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Default two ways to hunt

Yeah well, that only encourages her preferred form of hunting, which is laying down the debit card at Sams Club for a case or two of rack-of-lamb. Then I hear her crow about no expenses re: the high cost of ammo and such.

Its my own fault though; I've got my rack-of-lamb and jalapeno-mint-jelly recipe down to the point where no restaurant we've been to can beat it. And it costs us 70% less than the restaurant charges.

(and no, boar, that recipe does not use any roasted garlic . Beat you to it.)

Familyman, using roasted garlic and eating it, is two totally diffrent things...Ouch! Lol

Default Valley get together sometime?

Aw, thanks for the defense, but I can take a jab as well as I can give them. Reference some of King's posts my direction for some examples of that...

If you feel the need, you can even "tell" on me if you can find a way to try to make it funny. Me, I think its funny in itself. BTW, I found a place in Wasilla that has half price appetizers during happy hour that are KILLER, and their roasted garlic, brie, and baguette dish is one of them. Its a couple notches above what we had at MT in Anchorage.

Think you could make it up to the Valley for a happy hour get together of forum members sometime, there?

Here is their menu: http://www.grandviewak.com/restaurant/barmenu.htm

Oops, sorry about that. Here's their real menu: http://www.grandviewak.com/restauran...aurantmenu.htm
    Check out their appetizers, then knock 50% off between 4p and 7p. I've tried all but three of each appetizer on that list, and the worst one was way-good, the best few of them are very, very amazing. 5 star food at McDonalds prices from 4-7. I'm now a regular at 6:30pm more than once a week.

They have a great chef back there somewhere that I keep meaning to look up, but then don't because I'm too fat and happy. Service is great too, except on weekend nights.

I've still never had dinner there... can't get past the multitude of great appetizers.

Here's another funny one about what I've not done: never had an Alaskan White with slice of orange in it; my first was there at that place. Wow. While I don't generally pollute good beer and am almost as strict about it as the Reinheitsgebot is, this combo is actually a wonderful thing. Yeah, probably everybody else already knew this, too...

Sorry for hijack, not here to get my post count up....to the pm's ...but yes white is great with fruit as I call it

My wife was actually "afraid" of guns. So one day I took her shooting. She fell in love w/ my 44 mag RH. We were out in the country so no one around to critique her just some simple guidance from me on safety and then a hundred rounds or so and she was grinning ear to ear. That cured her of the fear, and introduced her to the "fun" of shooting.

Next I started talking to her about getting a hunting rifle that she was comfortable with so that I could put her in for the draws. She loves moose meat and is pretty decent at math so quickly realized that 6 opportunities at the draw was better than 3.

She agreed that she needed to be able to shoot a big game rifle before trying to hunt so we set out to find her a rifle. The guy at Chimo's has a knack for making women feel comfortable in the store shopping for their first gun. The prices are not the cheapest but the experience was worth the extra expense. We talked with him for a while and he showed my wife a Ruger compact 308. She liked the feel so I took a back seat and let the man work. He got her all set up and very comfortable while I just kept my mouth shut. In the end we purchased the rifle and she quickly formed that "first rifle" bond. In fact I don't think I could ever convince her to switch to some super new high end stainless composite rifle.

My next move could have been a huge mistake... I took her to the range and let her shoot at a target. The rifle was WAY OFF!!! Like in the dirt no where near the target. I didn't want her to get beat up on her first day at the range so I told her not to worry about hitting anything and just concentrate on squeezing the trigger and letting it surprise her. This trip would just be to get used to the gun. She accepted that but I know she would have felt better if her new gun was at least hitting the target!!

After that trip I found some time to slip out with her rifle and a slip on recoil pad. Interesting thing about her little 308, she can shoot a box through it w/ no problem but after 5-6 rounds the thing beats me to pieces. I imagine it is due to the short LOP causing the fit to be awkward. A pachmeyer slip-on helps quite a bit mostly due to adding length. Well I put most of a box through it and got it set up a couple inches high at 100.

A few days later I took the wife back out and hung some clays on a box for her to shoot at. W/ the rifle set up she was consistently breaking clays from the bench and kneeling supported. While she wasn't breaking clays standing unsupported she was hitting well with in 1 MOM (Minute of Moose).

After a couple successful range sessions she was supremely confident and loved her little compact rifle!

Well draw results came in and she won a cow tag. This was the tipping point in her becoming a hunter. Before that she knew she could accurately shoot the rifle so she had the skills necessary to kill an animal. She was far less confident that she had the ability to pull the trigger and take a life. I have very little doubt that she would have insisted I take the shot if I were legally allowed to. The draw tag meant SHE had to be the shooter.

She won a delta cow tag so I made it into a super cush trip. We stayed at a hotel, ate at restaurants for breakfast and dinner. And after ATV malfunctions sidelined them we ended up hunting from my F150.

On day 2 just before dark we found ourselves in a field surrounded by a harem of moose cows. The hunt was extremely easy to be honest. We simply walked off the trail a bit and waited for a good shot to be presented. My wife picked out her cow and then got cold feet just a little. She simply wasn't sure about going through with it though she knew we could use the meat. I though quick and told her that I would shoot with her. This calmed her down immensely. The moose was only about 50 yards away and I told her I would count to 3 and then we would shoot. 1......2.......3! Her rifle barked and the moose landed on its back, my rifle never left safe. She turned to me and said "did I hit it?..... It went down!". I just smiled and said "well babe it was either you or the good lord just struck it down for us, cause I never fired a shot!" I was most impressed because she dove right in to the butchering process and was never squeamish.

I don't really recommend the 1-2-3 thing but it worked for her in that particular situation. We are planning other hunts but before I really take her on a serious one we are just going to spend some time camping. She still isn't use to roughing it just yet but loves to ATV. Our next step is going to be some 2-3 day back country ATV trips mostly camping and fishing in the summer. Funny the "girl" in her isn't to thrilled w/ being "dirty".

One tip on that front.... Merino wool!!! I constantly shop steepandcheap.com and buy her "cute" wool shirts and thermal pants frequently. They don't get funky like poly or cotton which helps her mental state when a shower is still a day or two away! I am totally stoked to hunt w/ her and she even got her first set of "sheep boots" this year so the future looks bright!

i just go on an ass load of hunting trips and if she wants to see me, she'll tag along... if not, better yet!

Thanks everyone, I'll start planting the idea and see what she says. First off telling my wife if she didnt shoot it she doesnt eat isnt going to work. She does everything else but shoot it. She is a strong women who is very independent and telling her she cant do or have something will just piss her off. I support my wife and all her doing's. It's nice not having her there, sometimes, but there are times that it would be nice to spend time with her.

She has told me to start putting her for some drawing permits. She wants me to put her in for a couple of good, fairly easy hunt's that will fill the freezer. So this year I will start doing just that. Thanks and good luck this year everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    i just go on an ass load of hunting trips and if she wants to see me, she'll tag along... if not, better yet!
    Yeah, now we're talking!

I think the way I convinced my wife to hunt was by convincing her way back in high school in California that we should move to the Alaska wilderness <grin>. (Note: she was my girlfriend at the time and said she'd move to Alaska with me if I married her first!)

30 years later...well a pic speaks a thousand words

Default I married her

We dated, hunted ducks, then I married her. To this day she still says I only married her for her limit.
    She has only been on a few moose hunts, but only in the vein of camping. We flew her out to the Novi, treated her like a queen, which spoiled the vision of, "gee, we really rough it when hunting", and now she wants to go back.
    She'll also go on the occasional hike with me as I look for upland birds with the dogs. I'd like her to go more, but seems we always have other plans that conflict.

ditto Brian, I always took 3 or 4 days to hunt but when my wife started coming with me I would cut it down to about a day and a half. I think that was the biggest reason she actually started out, brought the intensity level down a couple of notches... but after that it is all I can do just to keep up with her!
    Do something brave today... then run like hell
    ~~~~~~~
    The ideas of tomorrow are fashioned by those who challenge the ideas of today.

Cool Ammmmm

...start em young.

Note that if she already enthusiastically supports your current hunting habit, are you certain you really want her on a sheep or a mountain goat hunt with you?

(....do I feel flames?....)

Default Try forbiding her!

I forbid my wife from taging along! I put my foot down and told her there was absolutily no way she would be alowd to come. Hunting is man time dang it. She had a bag packed in under 10 minutes!
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast