Thread: Suzuki df140 rpms

Default Suzuki df140 rpms

I have a wooldridge ak 2 with the Suzuki df 140 jetdrive. I can only get 5500 rpm out of it. The manual says 6200 is max. Is this normal for a jetdrive? It has the large pump w/ ss impeller.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Default I had the same motor

with a prop on my Sea Runner and I had the same issue, couldn't get more that 5100 RPMs. I switched to a 4 blade SS prop with slightly less pitch and I could get 5700, which was good enough for me.

How heavy is your boat?

5200 5400 RPM w/ the jet pump if you are set up right, if you are seeing 5500, it might be time to move shim from bottom to top.
    With a prop I can see 6350 before the rev-limiter kicks in............

Careful what you ask for. Friend has twin 140's on his boat and he just re propped them to get the rpms up over 5,300. First time out he said they hit 5,900 and they ran great for a few minutes. One shut down, used the second to push his way back and the other crapped out as well. Not sure of exactly what happened but he told me both motors blew and they were only 2 months out of warranty. He isnt a happy camper at the moment.
    Could be bad timing but totally weird both went out when the rpms went up.
    Tennessee

Default Re: rpm

. Friend has twin 140's on his boat and he just re propped them to get the rpms up over 5,300. First time out he said they hit 5,900 and they ran great for a few minutes. One shut down, used the second to push his way back and the other crapped out as well. Not sure of exactly what happened but he told me both motors blew and they were only 2 months out of warranty. He isnt a happy camper at the moment.
    Could be bad timing but totally weird both went out when the rpms went up.[/QUOTE]

That's scary, strange though. Factory says up to 6200 rpm is safe for those motors though. 5900 rpm shouldn't of hurt anything.

I guess it depends on the year, but on my 06 I believe the redline is 6500 rpm. I'm propped so that I hit 5900-6000 rpm at wot.

Sounds like your friend must have had some other issue, my 140 has been an excellent engine.

My 2005 DF140 (prop) hits the rev limiter at 6100-6200 on my boats tach. It only can get there if I loaded really light or very low on fuel.

2006 DF115 jet on a 2006 Wolly Alaskan 17.5. Maxes out at 5200 RPM. 4 blade SS. Always has. My GPM read 9.8 Sunday at full throttle. Seems high to me.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    2006 DF115 jet on a 2006 Wolly Alaskan 17.5. Maxes out at 5200 RPM. 4 blade SS. Always has. My GPM read 9.8 Sunday at full throttle. Seems high to me.

Mike
    Sounds like you have too high of pitch impeller. Full throttle should be closer to 12 gpm (perhaps your throttle linkage isn't allowing full throttle), and if you aren't able to get 5500-5700 rpm at full throttle, you are overloading the engine. Overloaded engines wear out more quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Sounds like you have too high of pitch impeller. Full throttle should be closer to 12 gpm (perhaps your throttle linkage isn't allowing full throttle), and if you aren't able to get 5500-5700 rpm at full throttle, you are overloading the engine. Overloaded engines wear out more quickly.
    5200-5400 is the typical RPM with a properly set up jet pump for a OB, I know its lower than what a "proped" motor would be.

I dont know why Outboard jet sets them up that way? they been at it for years and that is the design RPM.

When the liner and impeller clearances start to increase, you can see higher rpm's, but usually its time to re-shim at that point to get the performance back.

Maybe someone knows why they do it that way?

Per Bob at Anchorage Yamaha:

My DF115 should top out at 6000 RPM. The reason that I top out at 5200 is because I have the tall 4 blade SS impeller. He said that I can get it trimmed down by Artistic Welding in the valley to raise my RPM and speed. He also said that I will burn more fuel if I do. Does this make sense?

Mike

Somehow I missed in your first post that you're running the 115, it runs less rpm and burns less fuel. Sounds like the 115 is set up properly. Also my mindset is towards a prop engine which would be set up to cruise at a nominal 4000 rpm and wot of 6000 rpm ballpark.

The 140, and 115 are different motors and has different ratings, as stated before More Rpm,s mean more gas.Prop,s and jet are not the same either. What to haul more with prop, less pitch, less speed, better hole shot, haul more weight, like gearing down. More speed, more pitch ,slower hole shot ,faster top end, but haul less weight. Have to find a balance between the two and stay within the powerband of your motor. The jet As other,s said rated around 5500.rpm,s can get that with the different size impeller/ horse power. The thing about them is you can only push so much water though that type of housing, Than that,s it.There isn,t alot gain from then on.