Thread: Muck vs xtratuff

Default Muck vs xtratuff

What are yall's opinion on Muck Boots vs. Xtratuff boots.

I've never used Muck boots, but I've always been very happy with my Xtra Tuffs. The only proof I need is a stroll around any harbor in Alaska. 98% of all commercial fishermen use Xtra Tuffs. That's about the best testimonial that you'll get.

Default Both are great

Rebel,

I heard many great comments on this forum regarding the Mucks so I bought a pair each of Arctic Sport Mucks for my wife and I last winter. We used them mostly for snowshoeing and they kept our feet toasty warm. They breath much better than the Xtra Tuffs. For spring and summer conditions, I prefer the Xtra Tuffs because they feel lighter, are easier to clean and less "clunky" for me to walk in. I also think the Xtra-Tuffs have better traction on boat decks, wooden docks and slick rocks. I recommend the wool insoles.

I'm from Ketchikan and back home on the rock, each member of my clan had a pair of nice Xtra Tuffs for church and special occasions, a pair for fishing and hunting and a nasty pair for the bilge and other dirty jobs. When the uppers worn out and duck tape no longer kept the water out, we would then make sneakers out of them to wear on the boat or around the yard.

So, you will probably need a pair of each.

I wear Mucks- I tried both but I have large calves and the x-tra tuffs were too tight in the calf and pinched me. The Mucks have a larger diameter upper. I find them extremely comfortable. They're the only water boot I've had that my feet don't get cold in.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Default Muck Wetlands...calf fit...

The "Wetlands" model I found at Barney's has ample room for the times I tuck in extra layers, but my daughter bought a different Muck model which seem to fit more snug.

No personal experience with Xtratuffs, but folks who wear 'em like 'em.

My feet flop around in Xtra Tuffs. I don't guess fisherman do much walking. I do. I've aways used Burlys instead. I can cover lots of miles with my insulated Burlys wearing a pack and have no complaints about the boot comfort. I've never tried Mucks but they look like Burly knock-offs to me. Boots should fit. Not one brand fits everyone. Try a few on for yourself.

Lots of good testimonials here. IMO it really depends on what you want them for. If they are strictly a boat boot, it is tough to beat the Xtra Tuffs. they have excellent traction. If you will be hiking around, the burlys or the mucks are a better choice. I favor the the mucks and have been seen sporting them on the boat, too. They are true knee boots and I am 6'6". I like the taller boots when we take "motor floater" to shore from the big boat.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default High above the Muck-y Muck

I have never worn a pair of x-tra tufs that fit my foot right. I'm cursed with a long, thin, ladies foot. That being said, I bought a pair of Arctic Sport Mucks to replace my neoprene Hodgemans, another great boot not mentioned, and have worn them everywhere for the past 3 YEARS!!! Your mileage may vary! I am a contractor, and wear these boots all winter to work, hunting in the spring, summer, and fall, and love them!!! I have always been of the opinion that I will put up with my feet sweating a great deal, if they just keep doing so! I HATE COLD FEET!!! The only thing to rival the warmth of these boots are bunnies.

The only thing that has needed attention is the rand pulled away from the neoprene about a year ago, but a little squirt of seam seal, and they were brand new again.

Good luck, and try on a few sizes. Most mucks come in whole sizes only. I would go to a smaller size next time. If you have access to them, try the Hodgmans. They fit like a glove, were terrific for the spring thru fall, and were a third the price of my Mucks.

Colby Jack

Default And fit too...

Somehow in so many discussions about boots it's easy to forget a great boot that doesn't fit YOUR foot isn't so great. Reading Colby Jack's post reminded me it wasn't til I put insoles in my Muck's that they fit so well.

I also like the way these boots roll down when the weather is warmer. I hunted with a guy this spring who was trying out Xtratuffs - and liked 'em.

I wouldnt even put Muck boots in the same category with Xtra Tuffs. Nothin wrong with Xtra tuffs but Ive only found them a worth while boot when it comes to being in the boat or out wheelin.

My preference is the Lacrosse Alpha Burly boot. Great fit, excellent calf support and super traction.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

xtra tufs.

Im a southeast boy though. Been walking in tufs as long as I can remember.