Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's time to end "Mechanical" broadhead restrictions...

Default It's time to end "Mechanical" broadhead restrictions...

on ALL game in Alaska..."Mechanical" broadheads have proven to be VERY effective on deer sized game, there's no use in keeping them from being used on all game in Alaska...

Also very effective on elk....

Not all mechanicals are created equal
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Thumbs down Nope not me

Not a fan of mechanical broadheads. I have a Friend in Montana that has a outfitters business that has had to many Mechanical broadheads fail on elk. He no longer allows his clients use them on elk.

I agree that some mechanicals are too cheaply built to be effective on the bigger big game animals. I would trust certain brands on moose and other big game, but certain types I wouldn't even think about using for anything larger than a goose or fox.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    I agree that some mechanicals are too cheaply built to be effective on the bigger big game animals. I would trust certain brands on moose and other big game, but certain types I wouldn't even think about using for anything larger than a goose or fox.
    I agree,...I did away with playing with mechanicals once I shot slick trick 100 grain standards,....they fly as well and in most cases better than mechanicals anyway.

Default Just my thoughts

There is always good with bad, I know that one of the famous TV show hosts shot a 10' brownie with his expandables, passed clean thru, if I am not mistaken, expandables can't be used on animals with thick fur---for fear of them not opening correctly--I thought anyways. Seems like a test could be done to prove the good ones, and those ones should be sold in Alaska.

The difficulty would be writing a regulation that allows mechanical broadheads that perform and forbidding those that don't. You cannot name companies or broadheads by name in a regulation so how do you do that? You also cannot restrict companies from selling any type of mechanical broadheads in the state.
    If you are serious the only way to do it is write a proposal to the BoG and submit it. Personally I think until there is a certainly that all mechanical broadheads will work reliable on Alaska game, the restrictions should remain in place. But that's just me.

Default BH's

Quote Originally Posted by AKbowhunter View Post
    I agree,...I did away with playing with mechanicals once I shot slick trick 100 grain standards,....they fly as well and in most cases better than mechanicals anyway.

I agree with this, except I use 125 grain magnums

I would volunteer to be the testing center for an AK certification. Gonna need 3-4 testers and an "official" bow manufacturer.......

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I would volunteer to be the testing center for an AK certification. Gonna need 3-4 testers and an "official" bow manufacturer.......

I second that thought and volunteer as well
    Diamond Marquis

and they fail almost as much on deer sized game too.....sorry I dont think they should be allowed on any game, not because I'm a tradtional guy.

I think it comes down to the user more then the equipment...until we change that problem I like it just the way it is. If you cant understand that, become an ibep instructor and sit in on the shooting portions a few times....

Default So then...

with that, there should be no restrictions...

"I think it comes down to the user more then the equipment"

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    with that, there should be no restrictions...

"I think it comes down to the user more then the equipment"
    No, I think it means that the user can mess up easily with a mechanical broadhead, while there isn't much they can mess up with on a fixed broadhead. It's essentially the KISS approach. Take out as many aspects that can go wrong as possible. Fixed broadheads are simple and reliable. Mechanical broadheads take an effort from the user to insure that they work properly and even with that have a questionable reliability. Keep it simple.

By this line of thinking we should restrict the ammo used in guns as well. Perhaps an only "premium" bullets regulation should be implemented.

Lots of things can go wrong with archery, caring for and knowing your equipment is of utmost importance and I can't see why a hunter wouldn't put the same effort into tuning his chosen broad head that he/she did tuning the actual bow. I honestly have very little doubt that the Rage broad heads would work fine. A bigger "problem" is the fact that 90+ percent of the mechanicals form a "barb" so would be illegal anyway. Personally I see that rule as being more ridiculous. While I wouldn't want to see fish type barbs used, I find current regs on so called barbed heads overly restrictive.

gogoalie,

I kinda expected that response....skier is right on the money.

I'm sure mech heads overall CAN and DO work fine....at times...and they can and DO fail more then they should. again this is proven...not to mention we talk about penetration problems on top of head failures.

Mechanicals put into mind peoples lack of attn to detail. We, well a good number of us, knows what it takes to properly tune a bow and arrow combination to be successful at what we do. If not we'd be loosing animals. Education is the importance at what I'm getting at here..the ibep course is a joke (and yes I WAS an instructor and continue to refuse to teach the current corriculum).

guns and ammo dont fall quite into the same catagory as a bh and arrow. Overall MOST bullets will "do the job", some obviously more effective then others. And I do believe the MAJORITY of gun hunters have the "have enough gun" mentality when they walk into the woods. Unlike bowhunters for some reason.....

now before you slam it....................realize this, we can talk for hours on momentium, KE, speed, weight, cutting diameter, cutting angles, numbers of heads, the list is huge, each factor more critical in success then a rifle bullet. Though both tools find the same outcome, we all know the results are vastly different.

I am no expert at it, I wish I could wave my big stick and give you the answers......I cant. I will tell you this, I dont think at today we should allow mechincals on the big animals as it's currently set up. The industry is flooded with gizmo's and crap to make you 'better', when the reality is, mentorship and education there is no replacement. Take the time to do it right and you'll have no need for a mechanical head of any kind.

As for barbs...I still wonder how the state has allowed knapped heads considering MOST of them ARE barbed. I've looked long and hard at designs, took up knapping (a little) and befriended a couple knappers. The designs these fellas prefer would fall under barbed in my book. I'd love to go primitive as Jay Massey did (if you dont know and are serious about the sport look him up)......I dont like the idea of failure of a head, the part of the tool that 'does the work' so I continue to shoot he same heads I have for the past 20 years.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I am kind of the same thought as T bow. I have several Block and 3D targets with broken mechanicals in them. and have seen several that will punch through.

i tend to look at the design and engineering of them when i try them out and see more failures then success if they are allowed.

moose, buff, and grizz all have a much thicker wider rib bone then do Blackies, bou and sheep or deer for that matter. I think it should stay in place.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Lu Jon- as far as barbed i think locking open for mechanicals disqualify them as barbed and i don't think most do lock in open postion, that being said i really don't know for sure, have not used any but have older spitfire and new rage 125.and they don't lock open. if i had not screwed up my knee and became boat driver and videographer i would have tried the new rage 125s on a black bear. friend used spitfires and they worked like a champ.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

When I look at a "closed" rage head I still see a barb per the definition in the regs. I think it should be legal but would be nervous using one.

LuJon- see what you mean had not paid attention to it will have to get reading from fish and wildlife protection before i use them in Alaska

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast