Thread: 6.5x55 Round Nose or Spitzer?

Default 6.5x55 Round Nose or Spitzer?

I have pet loads with both the Hornady 160 RN and Nosler 140 Part. Both group very well. I have previously settled on the 140's as my all around bullet but wondering if I should give more thought towards the 160 both economical and just as efficient. In addition, 20 extra grains of bullet can't be bad either. What's your opionions?

Quote Originally Posted by 377PFA View Post
    I have pet loads with both the Hornady 160 RN and Nosler 140 Part. Both group very well. I have previously settled on the 140's as my all around bullet but wondering if I should give more thought towards the 160 both economical and just as efficient. In addition, 20 extra grains of bullet can't be bad either. What's your opionions?

I'd use the round nose 160's in close cover for the bigger game, but the 140 spitzer is be my choice for the all around load because of the better BC at longer ranges.

I can't really say since my game killing experience with the 160 grainers in the Swede can be carried in a thimble. However, I will add that the 140 grain bullets from Hornady and Berger simply do not leave much to want and my killing experience with these bullets would take a couple of pickups to haul around. I've just never had a need for a bullet that weighs either more or less in the Swede.

I can't offer much experience with the Swede, but can reflect on parallel choices in the 7x57 and 30-40. I settled on mid-weight Partitions as my all around hunting bullets (160 and 180 grain, respectively), but I sure have fun with the 175 Hornady RN in the 7x57 and their 220 RN in the 30-40. I've shot a little game with both, and they really plow on through to find air on the far side, though I've never taken a raking shot with either.

But mostly I just shoot them for the pure fun of it. Nice moderate load that's easy on the shoulder, comparatively cheap shooting, and time to wander the hills. What's not to like about that?

I've been toying with this dilemna for a while. I have never hunted with RN so I started doing research into bullet performance of RN vs. Spitzer and seems to be an accepted conclusion that the RN typically drives deeper and straighter than a spitzer. So.... I thought with the Swede that might be a good thing on heavier game. For most game suited to this cartridge (deer, black bear, caribou), I think my partition load is ideal, but dog gone it I like how those RN look! Don't think this will be my moose gun, although it would perform fine for that application and I guess my thinking was use the RN for moose. But then again I have better calibers to choose from for the bigger creatures. I do like the Swede. Thanks for the opinions fellas!

One great thing about the popularity of premium spitzers-

All the yammering about what a fool you are for not using them has made the traditional old cup-and-core RN a dog on the market.

Keep your eyes open for bargains in dusty corners. Buy the whole pile and you can often dicker a heck of a price. I just picked up 19 boxes of 30 cal 220's and 13 boxes of .284 175's, both Hornady, for $10 a box.

A dime a shot will make you fall in love with these things in today's buck-a-bullet world!

BrownBear - Good Advice and I agree. BTW, I think you have way too many of those 30 cals. I'll give you $12/box!

BTW, I think you have way too many of those 30 cals. I'll give you $12/box!

Fat chance!!! Actually I've got "scouts" looking all over the country, and if I hear of any more 30's or 6.5's I'll drop you a PM.

The trick is to spot a great big stack of them on a shelf, while the store is low on most others. A little dust on the stack is a good thing, too. You have to be prepared to buy them all, but if you ask the guy to look up the original price he paid for them long, long ago (emphasize the loooooong loooooooooooooooong ago), and offer him 10% over that to take all of them, it usually works.

You never know what you'll run across in big dusty stacks, but it's worth looking. In the last year I bought a whole case of 250-3000 ammo, half a case of 30-40 ammo and a whole case of 30-30 brass.

Sounds good. I think I'll head out today to see if what I can stumble on. A few years ago I found some treasures at a garage sale on some Sierra 180 gr. Game Kings in 30 cal. $5/box - bad thing was he only had one!