Thread: Alaska Backpacker Ammo mystery solved

Default Alaska Backpacker Ammo mystery solved

Hey, I can finally solve the mystery of the Alaska Backpacker Ammo for sure & for good. I was able to confirm my assumptions by talking directly to the manafacture.
    It is made for VF Grace in Anchorage by "The Ammo Shop" in Kenai.
    He makes the ammo & they supply the packaging.
    You can buy the same stuff directly from him in his shop & at gun shows around the state. His ammo is tested & meets SAAMI specs. He said he has no problem with folks knowing that he is the manafacture.
    If you want to buy ammo directly from him his # is 283-6110.

When I buy a gun in a new caliber I get my ammo from him to start a brass collectio. I've used his 450 Marlin, 41 mag, 44 mag, 45 Colt, 270 Winchester, 32 Special, 10mm, 38sp, (and others I probably can't remember) & have never had a missfire or scary round.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Wow.

A miracle.

Thanks for this info. Props, dude!

Thanks Vance.. I bought a box of Backpacker 45LC when I bought my Blackhawk but so far haven't gotten up the nerve to try it out. Think I will take my chronograph out and see what these 335 gr hard cast bullets are traveling at..

Quote Originally Posted by eagle55 View Post
    Thanks Vance.. I bought a box of Backpacker 45LC when I bought my Blackhawk but so far haven't gotten up the nerve to try it out. Think I will take my chronograph out and see what these 335 gr hard cast bullets are traveling at..
    I shot some I got directly from him (same 335gr load) from my 4&5/8" BH. They were a bit "torquey", & with stock grips ithe trigger guard beat my middle finger on my gun hand up a bit. Fired cases dropped clear easily.
    Put some Hogue grips on it since but haven't shot it again yet.
    I will chrono some when I can.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I've shot close to a half a box of his 320 gr bullets for the 44 mag and I was pleasantly surprised at how manageable the recoil was. I was shooting a SS RNSBH 4 5/8" barrel, the wife even enjoys shooting them.

So far the Alaska Backpacker ammo in my Ruger Super Blackhawk and Smith & Wesson 629 have been the least accurate ammo I have ever shot. It's no different in my T/C Contender 45-70. I was really hoping this would be good ammo for my handguns as the price is really good but it's not. I guess for factory I will have to stick with Buffalo Bore, Cor-Bon and Grizzly.

That's good to know. I need to talk to that guy. His ammo took out my gun and almost my hand along with it. I will never use his stuff again, nor be near anyone shooting it.

Quote Originally Posted by cmanavy View Post
    That's good to know. I need to talk to that guy. His ammo took out my gun and almost my hand along with it. I will never use his stuff again, nor be near anyone shooting it.
    What load of his were you shooting and in which flavor handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    What load of his were you shooting and in which flavor handgun?
    45 Colt in Uberti 1873.

I have shot 335gr AK backpacker in my 1894 Marlin 45 Colt levergun and my Blackhawk 45 Colt without a problem although the 335 gr WFP design doesn't feed in my Marlin so shot it single shot. This ammo, like any other ammo by Buffalo Bore and the like is not for SAA Colts or many of their clones. Way too much pressure for those. I don't know if the Uberti is strong enough or not..

I shot some of his "reloads" a few years ago. When I lived in Kenai.

Recoil and blast seemed to vary from shot to shot.

A closer look revealed he was mixing brass. Different manufacturers!

Different cases have different capacities giving different pressures thus different velocities. NOT GOOD! Dangerous even.

This was in 3 different calibers.

No more for me.

Here is why it should be avoided. This was my pistol. After talking to Uberti directly, the pistols ARE made to handel hot loads. When this blew up the explosion was much bigger than just your normal round, it had to be double charged. No injuries were received but I was very lucky.

I've come across some reads that mention the Uberti is safe under 15000 psi. But...****!!! That is some serios pressure.

It clearly states in reloading manuals that hot .45 colt loads are for Ruger/TC firearms only.

Don't shoot +p stuff in SAA clones, seems to me that is just common sense.

You put 335gr Ruger Only ammo in a cowboy action gun!? It's not the ammo manufacturer or Ubertis fault your cylinder blew. Also, what did Uberti mean by "hot loads"? I doubt they told you the gun would handle 35-55000 psi which are 45 Colt "hot loads". 55000 being 5 shot custom guns from Freedom Arms or shot in 454 Casull guns. That cylinder could not handle the pressure which I would say was not more than 28-30000 psi which is safe in Ruger BH, SBH, Old Model Vaqueros, Redhawks, Colt Anaconda, Freedom Arms, TC Contenders, etc. NOT Cowboy Action guns including the Ruger New Model Vaquero.

Quote Originally Posted by cmanavy View Post
    Here is why it should be avoided. This was my pistol. After talking to Uberti directly, the pistols ARE made to handel hot loads. When this blew up the explosion was much bigger than just your normal round, it had to be double charged. No injuries were received but I was very lucky.
    Last edited by Snyd; 09-06-2011 at 07:50.

YEE-HAW......?

I guess I am teetering on the fence about AK Backpacker as to whether to use it again, or even pitch what I have after reading these past comments.

I shot some of his "reloads" a few years ago. When I lived in Kenai.

Recoil and blast seemed to vary from shot to shot.

A closer look revealed he was mixing brass. Different manufacturers!
    Was this ammo the stuff marketed in stores? Surely he isn't selling his ammo with brass of different manufacturers that has been reloaded! All the 45 Colt I have from him has been Remington brass. Does anyone know what sort of equipment he uses? It brings up the point, if his operation is small then the human error factor could creep in, unlike a bigger operation where much more is automated. For instance I could not imagine being chained to some loading bench cranking out hand loads 10 hours a day for a living. Then again maybe I am spoiled.

cmanavy
    I also am curious how many of these AK Backpacker rounds had been fired through cmanavy's 45 Uberti before this kaboom, (or maybe a true detonation?) occurred. Unless it was the first shot fired that did this perhaps it was a hot round (or one loaded too weak). If he had fired several rounds prior to this incident, judging by the look of total destruction of his gun, it might leave me to suspect the ammo regardless. That seems like the sort of damage that happens with a round that was loaded way hot (or maybe it was just a case of a very weak gun). cmanavy did mention the sound (explosion) was much bigger than a normal round. Is that to mean a normal AK Backpacker round, or something else? Maybe a gun sounds louder when it is being ripped to shreds too.

When I shoot them in my Blackhawk, they don't seem all that hot, kind of gives my knuckle a good whack on the trigger guard, but otherwise kinda fun to shoot. I was impressed at the crimp he uses, which seems to crimp stronger than a Lee FCD. I never got the sense that some rounds were different, or warmer than others. Still now that I have started handloading I will probably just work up my own 335 gr loads.

According to Hodgon RUGER ONLY load data, the min load of H110 for a 335gr cast is 19200cup, max is 28000 cup. Shooting 19-28000 cup rounds in a gun designed for 13-15000 cup is a recipe for disaster. The AK Backpacker rounds should never have been in the gun period.