Thread: anyone want to share info on seward halibut!

Default anyone want to share info on seward halibut!

Just looking to catch a few halibut this summer. I have a 16' harbercraft. How deep and how far from seward?? Any info will be great.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default search for AKCAPT

AKCAPT has posted some good info the last couple seasons. I would do a search using seward halibut & his name & you will come up with a couple good posts with what you are looking for.

Personally I would consider a different port for a vessel of your size(Homer,Anchor Point, Deep Creek)Any sort of good halibut fishing will require you to get out of the bay,which is 19.5 miles away from Seward. If your heart is set on fishing halibut in Seward I would recommend fishing around the silver salmon runs. Basically just put a halibut rod down in the usual Salmon spots (Fox Island, Pony Cove.) The halibut will follow the salmon into the bay. You might also be able to find some halibut at Pilot rock, which is right outside of Ressurection bay. Hope this helps a little.

-Ben

I would have to agree with SB on your boat size. Deep creek and homer you can run out about two miles if that and get into halibut. Seward you usally have to go out far for halibut. Poney cove for me is the closes place that I have caught consistant halibut (chickens).
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Seward Halibut

I usually post on this site where and when halibut fishing is good in Seward for smaller private boats. In varies a little from year to year. Check in on Thursday in the spring and summer.

Default seward

pretty tough to stay out of rockfish if you don't get off the reefs that are nearshore. this isn't necessarily a bad thing if you like catching rockfish and lingcod though. I'd make buddies with AKCAPT if I were you, sounds like he'll have the inside info.