Thread: new trees

Default new trees

I just planted some Douglas Fir and Yellow Cedar trees in the "new" part of my yard last weekend. I'm sure the firs will do fine since I've seen a few of them around before. I've never seen a cedar tree in the Interior, though. I'm thinking that if they survive the winters, they will probably grow very slowly. That is a big "if," though. Any thoughts on the odds of my cedar trees surviving?
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

just based on where they actually range, i would say chances are slim to none on cedars surviving the interior's weather. but one can always try. good luck.

You're quite possibly right, but they didn't cost me anything so I figured I'd give them a try. If they live, I'll be the only guy in Interior Alaska with cedar trees.
    James Madison

Default yellow cedar trees

Alaska Yellow Cedar is not a cedar. It's actually a cypress, i.e. , Pacific Northwest Cypress. But it's commonly called Alaskan Yellow Cedar.

Love it. It's what totem poles are made from ... and the sea-going canoes of the southeast natives. Great wood. All the trim, seats and flooring in my sauna are Ak Yellow Cedar. Made my wife a Morris chair ... an arts& crafts recliner ... out of the left overs.

If it works, I'll have to plant some too.

Default I stand corrected...

They're actually Western Red Cedar (also technically a cypress, I believe). My mistake. Either way, they have a similar natural range which definitely does not include the Interior. We'll see what happens with them. I may try to insulate them somehow this winter.
    James Madison

Try to plant them in wind protected area.
    Are we talking about goals or are we talking about dreams? AkKevin The one and only

cedar health is declining and they are dying many places in SE over the last 10 years, likely due to low snow cover on the ground when the big freeze hits. The ones at higher elevations are doing fine, probably because their roots are maintaining the snow cover to insulate them.

If the frozen ground of fairbanks doesn't kill them, (which it will), the low humidity of winter definitely will.

Cedars I'm sure aren't going to make it. I'm surprised too tho at your Doug Fir statement. Where have you seen Doug Fir in the interior? I'd like to see that myself.

There is cedar in Prince William Sound, Cedar Bay. Went there last year and sure enough cedar everywhere. Know a guy over in Cordova who tried to transplant one there and it didnít take, not sure why they like that are. Have seen other cedar around the sound but nothing like Cedar Bay.
    Good luck and hope it survives.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.