Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Brown bears and slugs

Yeah. What do we get, one or two DLPs a year in Ak. yet it seems to generate more ink on paper than anything else. If I was worried about bear attacks I would use my 416Rem with 400gr hornadys. Plenty of everything, MV, bullet weight, frontal area, KE, penetration you name it. But it sits at home while I carry my lowly 300H&H cause I just don't worry about bears much.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Yeah. What do we get, one or two DLPs a year in Ak. yet it seems to generate more ink on paper than anything else. If I was worried about bear attacks I would use my 416Rem with 400gr hornadys. Plenty of everything, MV, bullet weight, frontal area, KE, penetration you name it. But it sits at home while I carry my lowly 300H&H cause I just don't worry about bears much.
    Isn't 300 H&H, plenty gun for a beeg bear? (with a 180, or 200 grain.)

I carry one of my 30-30s, or a knock around 7x57. (with 175 gr. RN bullets)

If I was hunting bears, I'd go with a 7Mag, which is the biggest gun I have.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Yeah the 300H&H is plenty but if I was worried I would use the 416. If you ever get up toward Glennallen, stop in the Brown Bear Cafť and check out the bear skull and documents. The lady that runs the bar and kitchen shot a 10 1/2 foot BB using a 7x57 mauser. The story is the bear was running toward her when she shot it in the top of it's head from about 25yds and dropped it with about a 2" hole in the top of it's skull. This was a worlds record BB for some time by a female hunter. And this was done before the new wonder bullets with a puny 7x57.

I use my 44 mag with 300 gr slugs//Good enough

I bet a shot gun slug to the head would have a desirable outcome if I was so lucky to actually hit a bear charging at me. Better than a chest shot that did not hit any big bones or the nervous system. I have seen bears take off right quick and run for a while with a couple holes through their lungs. I guess the best thing is to pack whatever you are good at shooting and have a bullet that gives half a chance at penetrating to the nervous system or big bones.

If you carry a shotgun, then by all means use the super duper slug.
    If you carry a .44 or better then a big cast bullet
    If you carry a hunting rifle, then a well contracted bullet designed to penetrate vs explode.

And whoa, where did this get drug up from? I noticed it was OLD after I typed everything. Hope this helps somebody get some closure on something.

Even way old bear protection gun threads are good. Specially the part where the lady pole axed a beeg un with a well placed shot to the top of the noggin with .284x57.
    The thing that matters with deer slugs is that you do not use any soft slugs as designed for smooth bores. I have recovered too many from deer that did not penetrate. If they wont go through a deer standing broad side then I don' think that I would want to fend off a bear with one.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I guess the best thing is to pack whatever you are good at shooting and have a bullet that gives half a chance at penetrating to the nervous system or big bones.

If you carry a shotgun, then by all means use the super duper slug.
    If you carry a .44 or better then a big cast bullet
    If you carry a hunting rifle, then a well contracted bullet designed to penetrate vs explode.
    That is my thinking, also.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Even way old bear protection gun threads are good. Specially the part where the lady pole axed a beeg un with a well placed shot to the top of the noggin with .284x57.
    And let's not forget my favorite.... the lady that threw her kids up into the loft and killed a big'un with a 22 down the throat as he was climbin' up after em'. I guess the little slug managed to find it's way to the heart....lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

It seems that over the last 120 years, bears learn to read gun magazines that told everyone they could only be killed by some super magnum rifle and a equally super bullet. Wonder how all those bears were killed by the old timers? We know the natives used sticks.

Bears are just a lot tougher than they used to be. It takes a magnum now days and with a premium bullet as well. Nothing else will work, it just won't work. Don't even try.

Never mind all those poor LEO's who've had to face down the bears with piddly little slug loads. We tax payers are almost certainly sending them to their deaths!

In fact they're likely to real experts on slugs and bears. On the truth test side of things, I know a number of LEO's who've had to do the deed with slugs. None have any complaints and they all report perfectly fine performance.

Lots of TV shows throw focus to the Alaskan way of life these days. Last night I was watching "Building Alaska" which features folk building cabins in the middle of nowhere. Last night one of the builders got mauled by a bear. Every show about Alaska has to include the bear threat and many times it gets ramped up. Yet the people that live there always down play it. I'll go with what you folk that live there have to say about the matter. The way I see it Timmy Tread-not-so-well tried his darndest to get eaten by the brown bears. He dangle his scrawny rump roast in front of them for a long time before grandpa bear who could no longer smell, see, hear, run fast or catch salmon in the river got hungry enough to eat some junk food. Then the circle was complete...huh Will?

Lots of TV shows throw focus to the Alaskan way of life these days. Last night I was watching "Building Alaska" which features folk building cabins in the middle of nowhere. Last night one of the builders got mauled by a bear. Every show about Alaska has to include the bear threat and many times it gets ramped up. Yet the people that live there always down play it. I'll go with what you folk that live there have to say about the matter. The way I see it Timmy Tread-not-so-well tried his darndest to get eaten by the brown bears. He dangle his scrawny rump roast in front of them for a long time before grandpa bear who could no longer smell, see, hear, run fast or catch salmon in the river got hungry enough to eat some junk food. Then the circle was complete...huh Will?
    I been watching that too, those guys are a bunch of Colorado knuckleheads without enough brains to avoid the bear brush around their bear hunting camp! One of the first episodes my wife looked up from her book and remarked "Somebody is going to be a Scooby Snack if they don't learn to stay the out of the alders!" Best of luck to then but Alaska ain't Colorado and they need a lot of learnin! Wouldn't you wake up grumpy if a bunch of smelly guys from Colorado were stomping around in your bedroom?

Bear are certainly a threat in much of Alaska but so is lightning . . . if you are reasonably intelligent and respectful of ether (donít be the tallest thing around holding an aluminumtent pole up in a thunder storm, and donít hang out in bear brush picking your nose all day) there isnít that huge of a risk. However who knows, lightning and bears do sometimes strike from no place. . . once in a handful of blue moons.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I been watching that too, those guys are a bunch of Colorado knuckleheads without enough brains to avoid the bear brush around their bear hunting camp! One of the first episodes my wife looked up from her book and remarked "Somebody is going to be a Scooby Snack if they don't learn to stay the out of the alders!" Best of luck to then but Alaska ain't Colorado and they need a lot of learnin! Wouldn't you wake up grumpy if a bunch of smelly guys from Colorado were stomping around in your bedroom?

Bear are certainly a threat in much of Alaska but so is lightning . . . if you are reasonably intelligent and respectful of ether (donít be the tallest thing around holding an aluminumtent pole up in a thunder storm, and donít hang out in bear brush picking your nose all day) there isnít that huge of a risk. However who knows, lightning and bears do sometimes strike from no place. . . once in a handful of blue moons.
    Yup Andy, they probably moved from Kaliforni to Colorada and they got that mastered so on to bigger and better things. They put their cabin pilings 4 feet into the ground. That wouldn't even work in Ioway. I want to see that cabin after the frost has played with it through freeze up and the spring thaw. Is that a common practice? The Alaskan Bush clan did that on their show too. Those folk are proof that Alaska has some Hill Billies but hey I shouldn't knock them......they got it figured out that if your scope is off you just take it off and hunt deer without sights. Yup Big Gabe whacked him a nice doe at a considerable distance with nothing but scope bases on top of his gun. Then he gutted it, threw it on his shoulders and carried it two miles back to the clan shanty and never got a drop of blood on his leather motorcycle jacket. I cain't do none of that! EKC hangs head...feels whooped!

Yup Andy, they probably moved from Kaliforni to Colorada and they got that mastered so on to bigger and better things. They put their cabin pilings 4 feet into the ground. That wouldn't even work in Ioway. I want to see that cabin after the frost has played with it through freeze up and the spring thaw. Is that a common practice? The Alaskan Bush clan did that on their show too. Those folk are proof that Alaska has some Hill Billies but hey I shouldn't knock them......they got it figured out that if your scope is off you just take it off and hunt deer without sights. Yup Big Gabe whacked him a nice doe at a considerable distance with nothing but scope bases on top of his gun. Then he gutted it, threw it on his shoulders and carried it two miles back to the clan shanty and never got a drop of blood on his leather motorcycle jacket. I cain't do none of that! EKC hangs head...feels whooped!
    EKC you went and found the most fake of all the Alaska fakeality shows. Their "secluded" bush home they had to leave was in a subdivision on the Richardson Highway, camera guys had to watch the angles so they didn't film any of the other houses around. And nobody seems very sure where the heck the came from but the State of Alaska seems pretty well convened it wasn't Alaska.
    http://www.adn.com/article/20150812/...nting-licenses

But surprisingly in most of coastal Alaska the frost line where the snow is let stand is max 4' down But driveways that are plowed like in Palmer where I lived could be 6 or 8 foot and roads with a lot of traffic could be 16 or more foot for some reason. My water line from my well to my basement was 5 down and never even hinted at freezing but didn't go under any driveways or parking areas.

The engineers' call for 4 foot of cover over septic tanks and waste lines but I had a bit under that without trouble for 14 years there in Palmer. The folks with 8 kids who bought my place put in a new 2nd system to keep up with 10 people. The 1800 tank of that is only 16" below grade but they put 6" of blue foam and a foot of dirt per the engineer and they report to me that it worked just fine, even stayed wormer than the main system.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Winter must be coming on... these types of banter/debates usually occur around then.
    In the words of one of the songs my kids listen to... "let it go". Life is short, we live in one of the most beautiful places on this planet with the freedom to hunt and own guns. Go out, enjoy... smile, be good and take care of the ground you walk on.
    Love life and those around you. Enjoy this wonderful experience we get to have.

Mountaintrekker

It is just that difficult time between putting the boat away and waiting for enough snow for the sled that it gets funny and the reverse in the spring, so about 4 months shot with nothing else to do.......
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"
    2018 12' Moto Jet "River Pup"

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    Winter must be coming on... these types of banter/debates usually occur around then.
    In the words of one of the songs my kids listen to... "let it go". Life is short, we live in one of the most beautiful places on this planet with the freedom to hunt and own guns. Go out, enjoy... smile, be good and take care of the ground you walk on.
    Love life and those around you. Enjoy this wonderful experience we get to have.

Mountaintrekker
    Me and EKC are good buds, we're just yackin.

I'm in Arizona now and there are 4 seasons here, hot, **** my eyes melted shut, hot, and beautiful like an Alaskan summer.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

To bad the hap character is just a 'guest'. Some of the best writing on numerous things re what kills game (and anything else with a heart) that I've read here or anywhere. Old thread but worth reading if one can ignore all the incredible 'my dick is bigger than yours" BS. Just read 'hap's' posts (dare you) and forget about everyone else.....

Supporting Member

A few weeks ago a drillers helper on Admiralty Island got mauled and partially consumed by a sow and cubs. His coworkers showed up too late with a shotgun and ended up dispatching the bears. I assume there were slugs in the gun. If i were to used a shogun I'd use the biggest/heaviest/hardest slugs I could. As it is I use a 300 wm with 180 barnes and a 10mm on my chest with 220 hard cast buffalo bore. Id feel fine carrying a 30-06 with 180's or arything comparible with quality bullets. As many have said, most important tool is between the ears.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast