Thread: Launching a boat bound for Kasilof dipnet?

Question Launching a boat bound for Kasilof dipnet?

Hey there, I'm looking for some info about getting a boat down to the dipnet area on the Kasilof. Been doing the shore fishing for a couple years now, and bought a boat.. 16ft Jetcraft with a 50hp prop.. I've seen some light boats out there in the Kasilof before and figured they probably launched from shore somewhere, but mine's v-hull and too heavy to pickup and do a beach launch. I've tried that boat launch up by the highway on the Kasilof and its a nightmare of rocks and sand bars that would just destroy my prop..

Has anyone launched somewhere else, maybe Kenai City Dock? And then ran the coast down to the Kasilof? My Jetcraft can handle the decent-weather saltwater for short runs. Any idea how long it takes to travel from the Kenai to the Kasilof?

Thanks for your info and advice, fellow dippers

-Ken

If you can't beach launch, then the Kenai dock is your only real option for early season. Once the Kenai is open for dipping, I'd forget about launching there due to the circus.

You're looking at a 13-mile run from the Kenai city dock to the Kasilof mouth. The run from the highway bridge launch down to the mouth is roughly 6 miles of prop eaters, for comparison.

For practical purposes, I haven't seen where a boat gives you any advantage whatsoever at the Kasilof. The fish run the beach and are usually in waist deep water along the banks.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I looked into that last year. The consensus on here was that it was not worth the effort.
    You might try a search on here for that old thread.
    Like Joat said fishing from shore can be pretty good at times and you really don't need a boat especially on the Kasilof..
    I have been doing the Kenai by boat for the last several years. Thats what works for me.
    On the Kenai I launch mid-week when traffic is less or launch upstream (Eagle Rock or Pillars) and motor down if your motor is legal.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Thanks for the great replies guys. Seems like gettin the boat down to the Kasilof might not be worth the effort (was thinking I might be able to save my arms the burn from holdin that net in the water ). I got a chance to dip from a boat on the Kenai last year, and boy is that a posh life! Don't have to battle the wind and the surf, I'll be doing that in July

Anyways, thanks again, I suppose I'll just catch the opener this weekend from the beach

Wish us luck, we are launching a square stern canoe that has antiflip foam chines around it with a 5hp Mariner in about 3 hours. We were down there just as the tide was halfway out and got pretty mired in the mud on the North side, not fun and my knee is killing me.
    We saw several very small and crazy looking getups out there puttering around and getting several fish on each pass so we said "why not" and we are loading up in a bit. We got a couple from the shore, but we are going to try and catch this high tide at 4:30AM and we shall see. If nothing else, it will give the folks on shore something to laugh at.

Mountaintrekker

Disagree about no advantage. I don't dipnet the Kasilof anymore, but when I did we did much better than the people from shore. When the people are lined up on that sharp corner on the north bank the majority of the fish swim just outside their nets. When that mass of people were getting almost nothing, we passed by thier nets and would get doubles and triples every pass. It's dangerous though! When the tide is going out strong you have to watch out for those comm. boats that are anchored, I imagine if you got sideways into the bow of one of those it would suck your boat right under it.

You also have to be careful not to catch on one of their nets with yours. One time I was passing about 4-6 feet outside their nets, but one guy that didn't speak english had an extra extra long net with no bouys so I didnt' see it and hooked on. I hit reverse but couldn't get them disconnected and I let go because he was begging me. As soon as I did he shook mine off into the water and ran away. I went to shore and another guy (good samaritan) helped me for about 30 minutes with his T-handle dragging and recovered it. The other dip-netters didn't like us. They all gawked when we gave him 12 of our reds though.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Boat Advantage

Just so you know, the guys who say there is no boat advantage are saying that so more people don't use boats.

If you want to see for yourself, leave your boat at home and go down there and fish from the beach and watch what happens right down the middle of the Kasilof. You'll kick yourself for leaving your boat at home.

BTW, you can make a good impression on the shore fishers if you slowly motor upstream just outside their nets and scare the fish closer to the bank. You'll invariably drive a number of fish into their nets.

~tr

I've dipped the Kasilof with and without a boat. Using a boat is far better and more comfortable. Used to launch my inflatable on the Kenai and motor down to the Kasilof, dodging all of the set nets along the way. I miss my inflatable for that reason.

Arrow the rep system is broken

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    Just so you know, the guys who say there is no boat advantage are saying that so more people don't use boats.

If you want to see for yourself, leave your boat at home and go down there and fish from the beach and watch what happens right down the middle of the Kasilof. You'll kick yourself for leaving your boat at home.

BTW, you can make a good impression on the shore fishers if you slowly motor upstream just outside their nets and scare the fish closer to the bank. You'll invariably drive a number of fish into their nets.

~tr
    How the heck can a guy like you that posts so much great info, stats, charts, and straight talk (like you just did above) have only one green rep box under his name? The system is surely broken and this is proof. I tried to right this wrong and the system disallowed me (again) saying I can only do so much.

Other guys here, can you help? The scales of justice can be found in the upper right of gr8fl's post, just two posts previous to this.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Disagree about no advantage. I don't dipnet the Kasilof anymore, but when I did we did much better than the people from shore. .
    I was not trying to discourage anyone from dipping the Kasilof from a boat. I have dipped the Kasilof from a boat years ago with good successs. I currently do it on the Kenai from a boat with good success.
    I have also done both from shore with good success.
    My point was that since he cannot or does not want to beach launch his boat that running the 13 or so miles from the mouth of the Kenai may not be worth it.
    Shore dipping usually yields plenty of fish for most people.
    I believe you guys are talking about using boats that can be launched from the beach. The OP is talking about a boat that is best launched from a ramp.
    In short Dipping the Kasilof from a boat is worth the effort if you have a boat that can be safely launched/retrived from shore. For those with bigger boats that require a ramp they may be better suited to dip the Kasilof from shore or wait for the Kenai to open up. IMHO

So how difficult is the run downstream from the highway bridge. I have an 18 foot john boat with outboard jet. Are there a lot of rocks sticking up to the surface of the water that could ruin a hull? Thanks for any info you can give me, it will be my first time down there.

Default I have done both

On the Kasilof, I have found that it really does not matter, except for ease of dipnetting. I have had friends on a zodiak and me walking the shore and I did just as well as they did. I sweated a lot more calories and it was a lot more work, But, My opinion, it still was a draw. That was me working the south side. Everyone has their own best stories to tell but if you dip the Kasilof, Six of one, half dozen of the other in my book. My experience only!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default Got a friend

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in_AK View Post
    So how difficult is the run downstream from the highway bridge. I have an 18 foot john boat with outboard jet. Are there a lot of rocks sticking up to the surface of the water that could ruin a hull? Thanks for any info you can give me, it will be my first time down there.
    I've got a friend who launches his jet boat at the state campground by the bridge and does just fine. He's got a V hull, so you should be fine.

I've never done it, so this is second hand info.

Default Coho Cove campground ramp?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in_AK View Post
    Not sure I would attempt this but I havent run a jet either. But from several years of running the Kasilof in a Driftboat I don't know if I would want to take the risk. There are lots of boulders especially just below the bridge and lower down there are a few more. Also some shallow gravel bars.
    An experienced jet boater though would probably do fine. I just wonder about driftboats in the way when of where you need to be in a couple of spots if it was a busy day.
    What about launching at Coho Cove and jetting down from there?
    They have an older concrete ramp that is not too far above the tide zone.
    Would be easy in a jet from there I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post

You also have to be careful not to catch on one of their nets with yours. One time I was passing about 4-6 feet outside their nets, but one guy that didn't speak english had an extra extra long net with no bouys so I didnt' see it and hooked on. I hit reverse but couldn't get them disconnected and I let go because he was begging me. As soon as I did he shook mine off into the water and ran away. I went to shore and another guy (good samaritan) helped me for about 30 minutes with his T-handle dragging and recovered it. The other dip-netters didn't like us. They all gawked when we gave him 12 of our reds though.
    I can say I had a zodiak within inches of my showing bouy on the end of my net. I am 36' but was on shore so I know he was 28' from the shore and I told him to back off he was about to get my net... Acted put out and I wanted so bad to sacrafice my net in his prop to prove a point, but took the high road.
    I guess I feel if one wants to shore fish do so, if you want and can afford to do it from a boat, great, but don't crowd, or force your way into shore.
    You sound like a good guy and also took the high road, but sometimes the boaters really are ignorant... Admittedly it was only 1 boat of several this weekend I had any issue with.

Default Mon Kasilof

You guys need to read page 42 of the fishing regs before you run a boat with a motor down the Kasilof river. I would think that would be a pretty good fine.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverman View Post
    You guys need to read page 42 of the fishing regs before you run a boat with a motor down the Kasilof river. I would think that would be a pretty good fine.

Kasilof River (excluding Crooked Creek, Coal Creek, and Tustumena Lake and its tributaries)
    No person may possess a king salmon that is filleted or disfigured to prevent adipose finclip • recognition, until the fish has been permanently offloaded from a boat or removed from the riverbank fishing site where the fish was hooked and taken from the water.
    From its mouth upstream to the Sterling Highway Bridge:
    Sport fishing from a motorized boat is not allowed January 1–July 31. Motors 10 hp or less • may be used only downstream of Trujillo’s Landing, and only after fishing from the boat has stopped for the day.

Reading this I don't see how there could be a fine.
    They are not sportfishing from a boat.
    Dipnetting is personal use witch is perfectly legal.
    You can do whatever you want from a motorized boat as long as you are not sportfishing.
    Anybody read this differently?